Simple backup solution

interneteducated

So I've been dealing with people that have had really disorganized backups and have had to dig through old hard drives with the OS on them and dig through the file system to find all the important stuff. On top of that, various programs by default create folders to the default pictures, videos, documents, etc. folders that add data overhead if you are just copying the whole folder and time overhead if you are opening the folder and sorting through the folders. It gets even worse when they want me to do multiple computers and half of the documents folder is useless crap.

I've come up with the most ridiculously easy solution and please tell me that I'm not the first one to come up with this. Create a folder on the desktop named important stuff or something like that and put all the stuff that you will want to keep in that folder. If you are getting a new computer or reformat, copy the folder over and you are done with having to worry if you left anything important on your old pc. It's also pretty easy to setup for all the non-techies around you. You might have to redirect a few programs to save to that folder. You can also place the folder in dropbox or the like and have full online backup without having to have dedicated backup software and it will live update and you will have remote file access.

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

I just make another hard drive partition, direct the documents there and then it's easy to just copy paste everything in it to a new computer even if they stuff their c drive. It's not backup however. For my own backup I have scripts on my server that sync it's 2tb hard drive with the 2tb hard drive in my computer. Easy.

edit: In most cases I don't make another partition, I just make it so they save stuff on their HDD instead of their SSD. Same method.

2500K @ 4.5GHz | ASRock P67 Extreme 6 | 16GB Ram | GTX 750 Ti | 250gb SSD | 1TB+2TB HDD | 720W CoolerMaster PSU | Essense STX Sound Card | Define R5

You do know that Windows has a built in backup feature to save, practically, everything automagicly.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE