8.1 pro upgrade

KirbyTech

Yesterday I finally got sick of some issues with my pc and had to reinstall windows. Between beig tired, and pissed off I forgot that my win 7 key won't work on 8.1 pro, is there anything I can do to not have to pay again considering that win 10 is coming out soon and will be free to all guine keys. I still have the email receipt for win 7 profession and don't feel like paying over $100 for a few months of use. Any ideas?

Run the 90 day trial for now?

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Run the 90 day trial for now?

It has the watermark in the right hand corner, and a popup in the left hand one. Super annoying when trying to edit, watch videos, or game.

*cough cough* ​pirate *cough cough* sorry I have a cold. Though find a windows 7 disk from one of your friends and install with your key?  

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

*cough cough* ​pirate *cough cough* sorry I have a cold. Though find a windows 7 disk from one of your friends and install with your key?  

I am limited on bandwidth cap so reinstalling again is not an option plus I have a win 7 pro usb to install from anyway. Also I looked at pirating but no keys work. 

Found out my father has a win 8.1 product key he bought for my grandmother to use for an upgrade but was never used. Anyway to downgrade from pro to core without re install?

You have windows 8.1 installed now? 

If so, PM me caus eI know something that will work

Found out my father has a win 8.1 product key he bought for my grandmother to use for an upgrade but was never used. Anyway to downgrade from pro to core without re install?

Downgrading isn't possible, the core version is garbage anyways. Legally you can't do much now other than pay up for another key, you can find some OEM keys for under 30 dollars if you search a bit.

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Downgrading isn't possible, the core version is garbage anyways. Legally you can't do much now other than pay up for another key, you can find some OEM keys for under 30 dollars if you search a bit.

Frankly I don't care if I do it legally, I only need it for a few months so if I can find a pirate key then that will have to do till I can spare the bandwidth to re install win 7 pro then upgrade to win 10 when it comes out.

Sorry, I miss read it. You can install Win 7 Pro then when you get that done, you can the move to the upgrade to Win 8 Pro, you just go through your control panel to do it. Never did it before so I cant tell you step by step but you have that option to do that.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Tell me, why is the Core version garbage?

OP, did you have a copy of 8.1 Pro? You said you don't want to pay again, meaning that you have already paid once.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

OP, did you have a copy of 8.1 Pro? You said you don't want to pay again, meaning that you have already paid once.

Sorry I had it confused with the lower tier versions of windows 7, the starter one didn't even allow you to change your wallpaper. 

Storage Asustor AS7004T

Sorry I had it confused with the lower tier versions of windows 7, the starter one didn't even allow you to change your wallpaper.

You are correct about that. Not to mention the fact that it's only available in 32-bit, and even that is limited to 2GB of RAM. I'm glad that MS simplified the licensing in Windows 8.1.

You are correct about that. Not to mention the fact that it's only available in 32-bit, and even that is limited to 2GB of RAM. I'm glad that MS simplified the licensing in Windows 8.1.

Yeah, the only reason you'd need pro now is when you're working in a domain or run virtual machines in Hyper-V

Storage Asustor AS7004T

Yeah, the only reason you'd need pro now is when you're working in a domain or run virtual machines in Hyper-V

Or if one wishes to use BitLocker... Or to boot from a virtual hard disk.

Meaning I own Win 7 Pro and since windows 10 is just around the corner I don't really feel like wasting money on something that will do me no good in a few months

Meaning I own Win 7 Pro and since windows 10 is just around the corner I don't really feel like wasting money on something that will do me no good in a few months

Ah, I see. Windows 7 is about 3GB. You could use a public hotspot for downloading that.

Ah, I see. Windows 7 is about 3GB. You could use a public hotspot for downloading that.

I have the needed files to install win 7 pro on a usb about 2 feet away, the issue is the over 75GB of programs (that is if I keep the installers on usbs over 100Gb if I don't)

Also what could I even download that onto? PC is too big to carry and phone does not have enough space on it.