2 x 200mm Vs 3 x 120mm Fans!

Dive5885

So what would be better for more airflow.

3 x 120mm Enermax Cluster Fans

Link : http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_1&lv0=4&lv1=13&no=30

OR

2 x 200mm Thermaltake Pure 20 Fans

Link : http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002233

Let me know what be a better setup.

Thanks!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Depends on the fans and their specs.

The 3x 120's have the potential to be quieter and have more static pressure though.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Depends on the fans and their specs.

The 3x 120's have the potential to be quieter and have more static pressure though.

So the more static pressure the more airflow they produce?

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

So the more static pressure the more airflow they produce?

Nah, static pressure is the ability the fans have to push air through restricting obstacles like harddrive cages, restricted front panels, radiator etc.

In terms of airflow (based on the advertised specs) 3 x 120mm Enermax fans will push a total of 159 CFM of airflow at max. rpm vs. 260 CFM of airflow at max rpm. for two Thermaltake 200mm fans. So the 2 x 200mm fans push more airflow.

However, I would bet that the 3 x 120mm will be quieter and have more static pressure. They will also supply more directed airflow.

I would recommend the 3 x 120mm over the 2 x 200mm.

Note: the advertised specs of fans aren't really that reliable because manufactures choose the most favorable method for measuring.

Nah, static pressure is the ability the fans have to push air through restricting obstacles like harddrive cages, restricted front panels, radiator etc.

In terms of airflow (based on the advertised specs) 3 x 120mm Enermax fans will push a total of 159 CFM of airflow at max. rpm vs. 260 CFM of airflow at max rpm. for two Thermaltake 200mm fans. So the 2 x 200mm fans push more airflow.

However, I would bet that the 3 x 120mm will be quieter and have more static pressure. They will also supply more directed airflow.

I would recommend the 3 x 120mm over the 2 x 200mm.

Note: the advertised specs of fans aren't really that reliable because manufactures choose the most favorable method for measuring.

What if I did a combination of both?

I can put 3 x 120mm fans on the inside of the case and 2 x 200mm fans on the outside.

Both as intake.

Edit : Here we go! It's pulling 4x more air in than before! This is also on the low fan speed mode!

post-68968-0-70119600-1427247381_thumb.j

post-68968-0-94739100-1427247383_thumb.j

What if I did a combination of both?

I can put 3 x 120mm fans on the inside of the case and 2 x 200mm fans on the outside.

Both as intake.

Edit : Here we go! It's pulling 4x more air in than before! This is also on the low fan speed mode!

Wow! Hope you have fan filters though, otherwise that's a lot of dust going into your case. 

I didn't realize you already had the fans. You could just run 3 x 120mm, 2x 200mm and the combination config to see which one gives you the best temps and noise.

No point in having so many fans in the front if the performance gains aren't that big. Definitely looks cool though. :D

Considering how the opening through which the fans blow is only about 120mm wide and hence is blocking most of the 200mm fans' area, the 120mm ones would be your obvious choice. 

However if you can safely cut all that excess metal away, the 200mm ones would be the way to go.  It's a lot of work though.

Wow! Hope you have fan filters though, otherwise that's a lot of dust going into your case. 

I didn't realize you already had the fans. You could just run 3 x 120mm, 2x 200mm and the combination config to see which one gives you the best temps and noise.

No point in having so many fans in the front if the performance gains aren't that big. Definitely looks cool though. :D

Surprisingly the 3 x 120mm & 2 x 200mm play along perfectly together!

The amount of air the fans are pulling in is crazy!

It helps much more having them all running together due to  the front panel door on the Thermaltake Urban T81.

Noise isn't an issue, it didn't even increase when I added to 3 x 120mm fans. There running on there ''Low'' preset.

So far I'm happy with the way its setup!

Considering how the opening through which the fans blow is only about 120mm wide and hence is blocking most of the 200mm fans' area, the 120mm ones would be your obvious choice. 

However if you can safely cut all that excess metal away, the 200mm ones would be the way to go.  It's a lot of work though.

I just got this case yesterday ( Thermaltake Urban T81 ) and I already modded the hell out of it for better airflow.

The front of the case is restrictive due to the front panel door and poor airflow channels.

By adding the 3 x 120mm fans it definitely helped with better intake when the front panel is closed and even better intake when its open.

When you set everything to ''High'' fan speed, the airflow that's getting produced is beyond amazing!

The case has a fan speed controller, You can set the fans to ''Low'' or ''High''