Cheap PSU for GTX 460 Plz help =)

kimouk

Hi,I m ganna buy a GTX 460 tomorrow, but since my psu is 300W i m ganna buy a new 450W , I found PSUs 450W with like 20$ and some other like 100$ . i can only afford the 20$ one but i m afraid if it wont do the job.So do i need to cancel buying the card? or i can go with the cheap psu?

I think the cheap one is able to handle the card if you won't overclock your components to much, but to be sure I need a complete list of the specs of your PC to help you with this.

Motherboard:Biostar 945GC-M7 TE

CPU:Core 2 duo 2.9 ghz

RAM:3 GO

Graphic:GT 8500 (ganna change it to GTX 460)

You should get at least an 80 Plus certified PSU. Take a look at the Corsiar CX 430W power supply

Save more money, don't buy a bad psu, it can kill your hardware over time

can you pls tell us where do you want to buy your gtx 460 and the price for it so you can get an alternative, and pls state what PSU that has 400w can you get for 20$, that is bad dude... you should maybe reconsider your options, and buy a good PSU, and buy a cheaper card, so your psu can be used in your future builds, because your CPU will bottleneck this card, maybe you can remove that by overclocking, but you will need a nice PSU for that

Just keep in mind PSU is one of very few PC components that is "futureproof"

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Never skimp on a PSU - you'll otherwise end up with horrible reliability, possibly failures and end up spending more in the long run. Save up..

Ya cant go wrong spending the extra coin on the $100 Doller PSU,, afterall a cheap PSU is just That, Cheap. Also for the GTX460 at least 24 amps on the 12V rail is recomended.

Yea you shouldn't go with a $20 dollar power supply because it might damage your components. Get a Power Supply with at least 80 Plus Certification.

List of psus with 80 plus: www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer