GOG.com no CD-Key?

Go to solution Solved by T6kke,

The GOG version of the game is DRM free and doesn't have a CD-key. And when the game is released you can just download it from their site. Or use the GOG download client. And later on when they release their client you can download it from there.

If you want the game to be on the steam list you can just add it as a non steam game.

And mutliplayer games have CD-keys because the developer of the game wanted them.

Hi guys,

How is it possible that gog.com doesn't provide CD-Key for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I bought the game on GOG last week because they had the best price and 20% discount for people whi own The Witcher 1,2

However I want to activate the game on Steam and Origin. I have requested a CD-Key but they refuse to give one because it is not a multiplayer game so there is no reason for me to have a CD-Key and they don't give keys just activate their games elsewhwer.

Can they do this, I mean Steam provided games for The Witcher 1,2, that is how I activated theme on GOG, there is no way that they don't generate CD-Keys.

How can I convice theme?

If nothing else: is there at least a downloadable client for GOG, because I cant' find a download link for GOG Galaxy?

Pretty sure they have a deal with GoG so people who dont want to use DRM can just buy it from there 

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

If you want a CD key, and DRM, don't buy from GOG.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

GOG giving out a steam key wouldn't make any sense. The whole point of GOG is to be DRM free, giving out codes for steam would be kind of counter intuitive. Also, it'd be silly to give out codes for your competitor's service anyway.

Additionally, you can use either your browser's built in downloads or GOG's download manager to download your games from them, and if you really require your game to be on steam, you can add it as a non-steam game.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Pretty sure they have a deal with GoG so people who dont want to use DRM can just buy it from there 

GOG is owned by CD Project RED

If you want a CD key, and DRM, don't buy from GOG.

I don't really care about DRM, but is it really possible that they don't generate CD-Keys?

GOG giving out a steam key wouldn't make any sense. The hole point of GOG is to be DRM free, giving out codes for steam would be kind of counter intuitive. Also, it'd be silly to give out codes for your competitor's service anyway.

Additionally, you can use either your browser's built in downloads or GOG's download manager to download your games from them, and if you really require your game to be on steam, you can add it as a non-steam game.

Yeah I figured, but Steam and Origin provides codes to activate the games elsewhwere, and these games are worth points on some sites eg.: http://www.galagiveaways.com/

I don't really care about DRM, but is it really possible that they don't generate CD-Keys?

CD keys are DRM is my point, which is why you buy from GOG, to get a game without DRM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

CD keys are DRM is my point, which is why you buy from GOG, to get a game without DRM.

OK then but for multiplayer games it is provided and there is request page for it

Isn't the whole point of gog that you're not forced to use Steam or Origin? Thus, they won't even have a CD-Key if there's nothign tied in with either of those or any other online service.

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

Isn't the whole point of gog that you're not forced to use Steam or Origin? Thus, they won't even have a CD-Key if there's nothign tied in with either of those or any other online service.

CD keys are DRM is my point, which is why you buy from GOG, to get a game without DRM.

GOG giving out a steam key wouldn't make any sense. The whole point of GOG is to be DRM free, giving out codes for steam would be kind of counter intuitive. Also, it'd be silly to give out codes for your competitor's service anyway.

Allright I guess it isn't possible, but a Boxed version would have a CD-key that I could activate on Stea, Origin and GOG, wouldn't it?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That makes sense then xD

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

The point of GOG is providing games without DRM. Download and install is their philosophy and I concur to it.

Allright I guess it isn't possible, but a Boxed version would have a CD-key that I could activate on Stea, Origin and GOG, wouldn't it?

Well no. Not for GoG at least. And I really don't know if you can activate single key to several service platforms. But if you have done that with other keys then fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Well no. Not for GoG at least. And I really don't know if you can activate single key to several service platforms. But if you have done that with other keys then fine.

I bought The Witcher 1,2 on Steam during sales and Steam provided CD-Keys which were accepted by GOG but not Origin unfortunatelly, but I have read that Origin is very picky about these Keys.

I bought The Witcher 1,2 on Steam during sales and Steam provided CD-Keys which were accepted by GOG but not Origin unfortunatelly, but I have read that Origin is very picky about these Keys.

AFAIK Origin and Steam use different keys for AAA games. Like when you get them from Humble bundle its either one or different for both.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The GOG version of the game is DRM free and doesn't have a CD-key. And when the game is released you can just download it from their site. Or use the GOG download client. And later on when they release their client you can download it from there.

If you want the game to be on the steam list you can just add it as a non steam game.

And mutliplayer games have CD-keys because the developer of the game wanted them.

All right guys thank for all the answers, I guess I clould go for a refound but it isn't really worth it.