D5/MCP655 Speed Control?

Hey, I have had this D5 pump for a year, its a MCP655-B. My problem with it is that its too loud, and with a bit of googling, i found out that the D5 pump is supposed to have a speed control knob, however, mine doesn't have this feature. So does anyone here have any idea how to control it, or is it something that I'm missing?

post-3826-0-65683100-1426887067_thumb.jp

Thanks in advance

There are models with and without speed control

the MCP 655-B has no Speed control. you can get a 7 volt reducer cable and it will run at a slower speed.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

the MCP 655-B has no Speed control. you can get a 7 volt reducer cable and it will run at a slower speed.

sorry for being the biggest n00b ever, but do u know where u can buy that or what to search for on ebay?

Really appreciate your help! :D

Like will this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-volt-4-Pin-Fan-Adapter-Cable-Speed-Reducer-NEW-/391075488208?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0dea61d0

When I went looking for a 7v reducer for you. I found a few people saying that it wont work on lower quality PSU's  for something as high load as a water pump.  Sounds a little to risky for me to recommend. I'm looking at alternatives now.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

When I went looking for a 7v reducer for you. I found a few people saying that it wont work on lower quality PSU's  for something as high load as a water pump.  Sounds a little to risky for me to recommend. I'm looking at alternatives now.

Hey man really appreciate the support. I have a single 12v rail evga 750 gold, so should be good. But does sound a bit risky indeed. But the worst thing that's gonna happed is that the pump won't power, right? It would be kinda wierd if it could totally destroy the PSU or pump

Nvm, that cable i posted looks totally messed up. Like it swaps a yellow cable with a red, which should fuck everything up, right?

Nvm, that cable i posted looks totally messed up. Like it swaps a yellow cable with a red, which should fuck everything up, right?

the way cheap 7v cables work is by running the 5v and 12v cables together so the difference is (12-5=7). there is a voltage difference of 7v for the device to use and the other 5 goes back into the psu. Most quality psu's can Handel this very easily for fans, but the water pump you want to use is about as hungry as 10-15 fans. I'm currently looking for a molex fan speed adapter that can Handel 25W+ as they use a potentiometer and will be safe for any psu with the spare wattage.

the way cheap 7v cables work is by running the 5v and 12v cables together so the difference is (12-5=7). there is a voltage difference of 7v for the device to use and the other 5 goes back into the psu. Most quality psu's can Handel this very easily for fans, but the water pump you want to use is about as hungry as 10-15 fans. I'm currently looking for a molex fan speed adapter that can Handel 25W+ as they use a potentiometer and will be safe for any psu with the spare wattage.

Do u think this one will work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/x2-4Pin-Molex-Speed-Noise-Reduction-Cable-Wire-Speed-Noise-Reducer-351-002-/111605845248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fc3a0d00

It will probably work the question is weather it will stay cool enough. The resistor in that will lower the voltage delivered to the pump. Using a resistor means that no extra voltage will return to the PSU but the power it prevent the pump from taking turns into heat at the resistor.  It might work perfectly fine, it might burn out in a few seconds. I don't remember enough about the specifics to do the math for that resistor in combination with the pump.

It will probably work the question is weather it will stay cool enough. The resistor in that will lower the voltage delivered to the pump. Using a resistor means that no extra voltage will return to the PSU but the power it prevent the pump from taking turns into heat at the resistor.  It might work perfectly fine, it might burn out in a few seconds. I don't remember enough about the specifics to do the math for that resistor in combination with the pump.

Haha once again man, thanks for your help, it really warms my heart! Don't hesitate with the maths and everything dude, I sent a mail to the eBay seller, as well as a mail to EVGA customer support asking if they think my PSU can handle the ghetto way. Will keep u updated if you want :)

any chance you have other dumb fans (non PWM) you would want to be able to control?

any chance you have other dumb fans (non PWM) you would want to be able to control?

Yea, I kinda just ordered my PC parts in a rush, and didn't really know the difference between 3pin and PWM fans, so yea, all my fans are 3pin lol... But that's fairly allright, I run all of them through 5/7v reducers. Btw, didn't mean "don't hesitate" in last post, meant more something like just take it chill. English is not my native language :D

A lot of people mention buying 7v mod cables. You can just mod the molex cable into 7v instead -> http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/137

I've done that on several pumps, works like a charm. 

Yea, I think the cheap mod cables would work, but I found a much better solution! I'm kinda lazy when it comes to doing research, and I often make impulse purchaces; not a good combination... This lead me to buying an AquaComputer Aquaero 5 LT last year in hope to control my 3-pin PWM fans. It was way too hard to set up, and it just filled my case with cables completely, so I gave up on it quickly. But there is an AquaComputer module called PowerAdjust 3 that connects to the Aquaero, which is connected with usb to my MoBo. It features a molex in and out, as well as some digital magic! With this I can control the voltage of the pump digitally and make awesome curves and stuff:) It will cost some money, but it will definitely be worth it, especially because I already have the main controller. The PowerAdjust module supports up to 36W, so it's no worries at least

Will of course keep u updated, you think that this is a good idea, right? :D

Just went through the Manual. it supports the correct voltage range as well as amperage needed to power your pump

I don't see a molex out on the board but one of these will hove you covered.

http://www.amazon.com/3pin-power-4pin-molex-adapter/dp/B000H25PBK/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426892178&sr=1-14&keywords=3pin+to+molex

looks like it will be a fun little project getting the whole thing together.

Just went through the Manual. it supports the correct voltage range as well as amperage needed to power your pump

I don't see a molex out on the board but one of these will hove you covered.

http://www.amazon.com/3pin-power-4pin-molex-adapter/dp/B000H25PBK/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426892178&sr=1-14&keywords=3pin+to+molex

looks like it will be a fun little project getting the whole thing together.

Yea, it doesn't have a molex out, but it is a specific adapter cable included for that, and the D5 pump is listed compatible in the manual, plus ive seen it on lots of forums! Once again, thank you so much for your help :D

Will of course keep u updated, you think that this is a good idea, right? :D

I wouldn't use it myself, so can't put a finger on it. Everyone are entitled to have their own taste and preference, so if you like to have those options then go for it. :)