I want to build a gaming rig for $1500 (including monitor)

Skyress27
Go to solution Solved by H4X3R,

i want to plug in ethernet cable, and use the pc as a wifi router (is it possible) , to use internet in my laptop and mobiles through wifi.....

EDIT : and I forgot something, i need a dvd burner too, will sata 24x enough??

To make a wifi hotspot you will need a wifi card. A cheap one from tp link (under $20) should be adequate. As the for dvd burner, 24x is simply the maximum speed at which it can operate at, the standard being 24x so yes it is good.

i also do have a 18.5" 1366x768 monitor lying around, if i hook it up along with the 1080p monitor (dual monitor), will there be any problem??

Both monitors will run at 768p so i suggest you use displayfusion (software) to help alleviate this problem or just use 1 screen most of the time.

Hello friends, :) 1st of all thanks you all for helping me.....

I am a newbie in building rig. This is my first time building a rig. So i did some research in internet, and thought about having:-

1) Intel core i5 4690k ,,,,,           (about $ 220) , things are a bit expensive in India

2) Intel 530 series 120 gb ssd                             (about $90)

3) Corsair Vengeance ddr3 8gb (2x4gb) 1600 mhz (the price increased tremendously to 8000 INR (about $140)) ... (i think i am doin somethin wrong  :mellow:) 

4) Motherboard - I dont have a clue about getting one, please suggest me one   :( ....(i guess something in $200)

5) 1TB WD Blue (7200 wpm) HDD      (about $80)

6) GFX - MSI Nvidia GTX 970 (4GB VRAM)       (about $500)

7) Corsair 600W power supply (is that enough for a gtx 970??)    (about $70)

8) I am thinking to have a NZXT s340 cabinet             (about $90)

9) Cooling - i dont a inch about what cooler or what heatsink i should use!!!

10) Monitor- Should i go for TN monitor or an IPS monitor? I even need to use a bit of photoshopping, and watch movies, anime, etc (TN are good for gaming, but have bad colour saturation at low price point) , size does'nt matter as long its more than 21"      (asus 23" led backlit lcd, one for $300)

11) I have an old logitech g300 and a TVS gold keyboard and an ath m30x, which i will use for half a year (i guess i have to, lol)

Am I missing something??? Or i am totally wrong!!!! i cant go over $1500+$200 (maximum)

I live in India, its hard to find parts and are a bit expensive (atleast for me  :() , i am also not much experienced in gaming, i do offline gaming most of the time (due to poor internet connection in India), BUT i will strat online gaming soon :P ,,,,, i want a decent desktop, which can do all works silently, and a bit brutally while gaming, and above average looking....

Atlast, thanks friends  :D , and thx linus for building this forum......

Hello friends, :) 1st of all thanks you all for helping me.....

I am a newbie in building rig. This is my first time building a rig. So i did some research in internet, and thought about having:-

1) Intel core it 4460 (6mb cache, upto 3.4 ghz) ,,,,,           (about $ 220)

2) Intel 530 series 120 gb ssd                             (about $90)

3) Corsair Vengeance ddr3 8gb (2x4gb) 1600 mhz (the price increased tremendously to 8000 INR (about $140)) ... (i think i am doin somethin wrong  :mellow:) 

4) Motherboard - I dont have a clue about getting one, please suggest me one   :( ....(i guess something in $200)

5) 1TB WD Green (7200 wpm) HDD      (about $80)

6) GFX - MSI Nvidia GTX 970 (4GB VRAM)       (about $500)

7) Corsair 600W power supply (is that enough for a gtx 970??)    (about $70)

8) I am thinking to have a NZXT s340 cabinet             (about $90)

9) Cooling - i dont a inch about what cooler or what heatsink i should use!!!

10) Monitor- Should i go for TN monitor or an IPS monitor? I even need to use a bit of photoshopping, and watch movies, anime, etc (TN are good for gaming, but have bad colour saturation at low price point) , size does'nt matter as long its more than 21"      (asus 23" ips one for $300)

11) I have an old logitech g300 and a TVS gold keyboard and an ath m30x, which i will use for half a year (i guess i have to, lol)

Am I missing something??? Or i am totally wrong!!!! i cant go over $1500+$200 (maximum)

I live in India, its hard to find parts and are a bit expensive (atleast for me  :() , i am also not much experienced in gaming, i do offline gaming most of the time (due to poor internet connection in India), BUT i will strat online gaming soon :P ,,,,, i want a decent desktop, which can do all works silently, and a bit brutally while gaming, and above average looking....

Atlast, thanks friends  :D , and thx linus for building this forum......

I'd say change the CPU to a i5 4690k and the mobo get the MSI Z97 G45. Look nice and cheap + support future SLI too :3 or get the G55 if you are 100% sure you will never do SLI.

Unless I've been living under the rock for quite a while, I'm pretty sure WD Green dont go up to 7200rpm. Get a WD Blue or Black or a Seagate Barracuda instead.

600W is enough even for 2 ways SLI GTX 970 since it's very efficient.

For CPU Cooler, either a 212 Evo if you want a cheap but good air cooler, Dark Rock Pro 3 if you want a more expensive, good looking and quality air cooler, or H100i GTX/H220/Kraken X61 for AIO Water cooler, but they are quite expensive too. Note that you dont need an after market CPU Cooler if you dont plan to Overclock your CPU.

If you work concern photoshop, I'd say a IPS panel. Any is fine

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

1) good

2) good

3) find the cheapest 2x4gb kit of ram and buy that. all ram is reliable nowadays

4) msi gaming 5 / asrock z97 or z87 extreme4

5) good

6) that is seriously expensive, just go with the cheapest 970 or 290X (only trix or vaporx for the 290X) you can find

7) yes, a cx 600 will be fine

8) good choice

9) the processor comes with a cooler, use that. if it is too loud then i suggest buying a hyper 212 evo or scythe mugen 4

10) well any cheap 5ms IPS panel with a size of 23-24 inches will be adequate for gaming and good for movies and productivity. just make sure to get one from a reputable brand (as in the cheapest, i know LG makes some good ones at low prices)

11) seems good enough for gaming to me :)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I'd say change the CPU to a i5 4690k and the mobo get the MSI Z97 G45. Look nice and cheap + support future SLI too :3 or get the G55 if you are 100% sure you will never do SLI.

Unless I've been living under the rock for quite a while, I'm pretty sure WD Green dont go up to 7200rpm. Get a WD Blue or Black or a Seagate Barracuda instead.

600W is enough even for 2 ways SLI GTX 970 since it's very efficient.

For CPU Cooler, either a 212 Evo if you want a cheap but good air cooler, Dark Rock Pro 3 if you want a more expensive, good looking and quality air cooler, or H100i GTX/H220/Kraken X61 for AIO Water cooler, but they are quite expensive too. Note that you dont need an after market CPU Cooler if you dont plan to Overclock your CPU.

If you work concern photoshop, I'd say a IPS panel. Any is fine

Thanks, i will surely get a i5 4690 then, it think it better to consider G45, as i may do a SLI in future, and sorry about typing WD Green (its a typo, i was considering WB Blue), i will overclock after few months, so i can buy it later, i guess....

1) good

2) good

3) find the cheapest 2x4gb kit of ram and buy that. all ram is reliable nowadays

4) msi gaming 5 / asrock z97 or z87 extreme4

5) good

6) that is seriously expensive, just go with the cheapest 970 or 290X (only trix or vaporx for the 290X) you can find

7) yes, a cx 600 will be fine

8) good choice

9) the processor comes with a cooler, use that. if it is too loud then i suggest buying a hyper 212 evo or scythe mugen 4

10) well any cheap 5ms IPS panel with a size of 23-24 inches will be adequate for gaming and good for movies and productivity. just make sure to get one from a reputable brand (as in the cheapest, i know LG makes some good ones at low prices)

11) seems good enough for gaming to me :)

thanks, i will see a cheap 2x4gb then, it will reduce the cost by a long extent, and i will consider the z97 board, i will consider having a cooler after experience then  ^_^

gtx 970 is sure very expensive  :wacko: , but i guess it will be required to hit 1080p games at atleast mid-high settings....

if i save my money a bit, i will consider a new mechanical keyboard then (i love mechanical keyboards  :))

Thanks, i will surely get a i5 4690 then, it think it better to consider G45, as i may do a SLI in future, and sorry about typing WD Green (its a typo, i was considering WB Blue), i will overclock after few months, so i can buy it later, i guess....

thanks, i will see a cheap 2x4gb then, it will reduce the cost by a long extent, and i will consider the z97 board, i will consider having a cooler after experience then  ^_^

gtx 970 is sure very expensive  :wacko: , but i guess it will be required to hit 1080p games at atleast mid-high settings....

if i save my money a bit, i will consider a new mechanical keyboard then (i love mechanical keyboards  :))

My bad, get an Asrock H97 Fatal1ty Killer as you won't be overclocking. 

You could try to find a 780ti or a r9 290x trix, vaporx or msi lightning which perform similarly to a 970 :)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

My bad, get an Asrock H97 Fatal1ty Killer as you won't be overclocking. 

You could try to find a 780ti or a r9 290x trix, vaporx or msi lightning which perform similarly to a 970 :)

It is not that I dont want to overclock, I will surely overclock after a bit of experience, and thanks for suggesting 780ti / r9 290x trix, but here in India 780x ti are very expensive about $750,

and r9 290x trix is same price as gtx 970x, so should i consider 970x or r9 290x trix?

It is not that I dont want to overclock, I will surely overclock after a bit of experience, and thanks for suggesting 780ti / r9 290x trix, but here in India 780x ti are very expensive about $750,

and r9 290x trix is same price as gtx 970x, so should i consider 970x or r9 290x trix?

Then definitely buy a gtx 970. You cannot overclock your cpu, it is locked. When you do upgrade it will most likely be to a new platform (eg Z110 skylake, etc.) so then you will need a new motherboard anyway. You can do mild overclocks with H97 anyway if you decide to.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Then definitely buy a gtx 970. You cannot overclock your cpu, it is locked. When you do upgrade it will most likely be to a new platform (eg Z110 skylake, etc.) so then you will need a new motherboard anyway. You can do mild overclocks with H97 anyway if you decide to.

oh thanks, so do u think it can run some games in 1080p in mid-high settings, with just some mild overclocks? and how exactly can I know if it is locked or not? (sorry i am really a newbie) , and will my processor bottleneck while gaming?

oh thanks, so do u think it can run some games in 1080p in mid-high settings, with just some mild overclocks? and how exactly can I know if it is locked or not? (sorry i am really a newbie) , and will my processor bottleneck while gaming?

You will be able to pla games at ultra @ 1080p

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

You will be able to pla games at ultra @ 1080p

wow that will be awesome thanks!!!

wow that will be awesome thanks!!!

Silly me for noticing earlier, drop the CPU to an i5 4460 or up it to a xeon 1231 v3. The K variant is not worth it.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Silly me for noticing earlier, drop the CPU to an i5 4460 or up it to a xeon 1231 v3. The K variant is not worth it.

thanks, i will do that then, and should i have to buy a wifi or bluetooth card or something? 

thanks, i will do that then, and should i have to buy a wifi or bluetooth card or something? 

If you do not have an ethernet cable then yes, you would have to. Otherwise there is no reason to.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

If you do not have an ethernet cable then yes, you would have to. Otherwise there is no reason to.

i want to plug in ethernet cable, and use the pc as a wifi router (is it possible) , to use internet in my laptop and mobiles through wifi.....

i also do have a 18.5" 1366x768 monitor lying around, if i hook it up along with the 1080p monitor (dual monitor), will there be any problem??

To make a wifi hotspot you will need a wifi card. A cheap one from tp link (under $20) should be adequate. As the for dvd burner, 24x is simply the maximum speed at which it can operate at, the standard being 24x so yes it is good.

Both monitors will run at 768p so i suggest you use displayfusion (software) to help alleviate this problem or just use 1 screen most of the time.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

thanks