Power Supply

Famass
Go to solution Solved by Caeradwyn,

I wouldn't recommend any cheap, or cheapish power supplies to be honest. It is the single most down-prioritized part of a computer, and arguably the single most important. Without a good power supply, the rest is worthless, and I have seen a lot of cheap powersupplies break, and in some cases damage the hardware connected, over the years.

Something like a Cooler Master GM-series might be within reach with only €60 to spend.

http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90536754/cooler-master-gm-series.asp

And a quick google search shows that it is.

For future builds though, consider spending a bit more on the PSU, cause if you get something really good, you'll be able to keep it for years. Corsair HX(i) or AX(i) will last a decade, easily. And from that point of view, they are not that expencive either.

Hey guys, this is my first post and I am really new to gaming PCs, so please don't make fun of me hehe

Today I got my ordered r9 270x witch I wanted to replace my old card with (I was upgrading my old graphics card) and I tryed installing it. After putting it in I noticed those 2x 6pin power cabels, my old card didn't have any cabels so I was confused. I was looking for the wires and I just could not find them. 

So here I am now. I need a guide of power supplys, wires and so on. Like I said i'm totally new to PC building.

Do I need a new power supply? Do I only need to buy the wires? How must I use the wires? Where to plug them?

Btw my PSU is cheap. It's called SL-500A, i don't even know the brand.

Thank you for any one who reaplies.

My specs:

AMD a10 5800k 3.8 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Radeon R9 270x

Motherboard: Socket FM2

P.S. I don't want to spend more than 60 euros.

What case? Can't tell you what PSU to get without a case size.

What case? Can't tell you what PSU to get without a case size.

I have a cooler master case but I don't know the full name. It's 19 centimetres wide

Your current PSU does not have 6pin connectors but it does have 2 Molex.  Its an older type of Connector but I think you can pickup a couple Molex to 6 pin adapters and then you can make the connection from the PSU to the GPU without buying a whole new PSU.

Example:

http://www.amazon.com/4-Pin-Molex-Female-Adapter-Length/dp/B007NMSUUA

I wouldn't recommend any cheap, or cheapish power supplies to be honest. It is the single most down-prioritized part of a computer, and arguably the single most important. Without a good power supply, the rest is worthless, and I have seen a lot of cheap powersupplies break, and in some cases damage the hardware connected, over the years.

Something like a Cooler Master GM-series might be within reach with only €60 to spend.

http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90536754/cooler-master-gm-series.asp

And a quick google search shows that it is.

For future builds though, consider spending a bit more on the PSU, cause if you get something really good, you'll be able to keep it for years. Corsair HX(i) or AX(i) will last a decade, easily. And from that point of view, they are not that expencive either.

Today I got my ordered r9 270x witch I wanted to replace my old card with (I was upgrading my old graphics card) and I tryed installing it. After putting it in I noticed those 2x 6pin power cabels, my old card didn't have any cabels so I was confused. I was looking for the wires and I just could not find them. 

So here I am now. I need a guide of power supplys, wires and so on. Like I said i'm totally new to PC building.

Do I need a new power supply? Do I only need to buy the wires? How must I use the wires? Where to plug them?

Btw my PSU is cheap. It's called SL-500A, i don't even know the brand.

Do NOT use Molex adapters on a generic brand power supply. Doing this will only put you at much higher risk of PSU failure, which could lead to other components going out with it. A generic 500W unit with no 6-pin PCIe should not be trusted to run a dedicated graphics card.

The above listed Cooler Master is a good choice, but I'd rather get this Seasonic-made XFX http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90425683/xfx-core-edition-pro-550-watt.asp

Your current PSU does not have 6pin connectors but it does have 2 Molex.  Its an older type of Connector but I think you can pickup a couple Molex to 6 pin adapters and then you can make the connection from the PSU to the GPU without buying a whole new PSU.

"Rawr XD"

Do NOT use Molex adapters on a generic brand power supply. Doing this will only put you at much higher risk of PSU failure, which could lead to other components going out with it. A generic 500W unit with no 6-pin PCIe should not be trusted to run a dedicated graphics card.

The above listed Cooler Master is a good choice, but I'd rather get this Seasonic-made XFX http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90425683/xfx-core-edition-pro-550-watt.asp

I concur. I wasn't aware that you could get Seasonic ones as low as €60. That's a good purchase.

Personally, I would go with the Cooler Master G550M, as it offer semi-modularity, a more relax fan profile, and better electrical performance at a wider range of loads thanks to DC-DC. Both offer a 5 year warranty, but the XFX does offer better internal capacitors.

Thank you guys for the replies. I now have full understanding of PSU's.

I'm going to go with buying a Cooler Master Thunder 620W.

Cheers!

Thank you guys for the replies. I now have full understanding of PSU's.

I'm going to go with buying a Cooler Master Thunder 620W.

Cheers!

The Cooler Master Thunder isn't a good PSU, and it is not the same PSU as the Cooler Master G550M that what we were suggesting.

Can you provide a link to the store you are buying from?