Seagate 1T HDD

Albatross

Hello,

So I ordered the Seagate 1T HDD from Tigerdirect when it was 30$ for my brother. We hooked it up a few days ago, ran SeaTools on it and HDD test on it. First passed but the second would run for a few seconds and then just stop without any errors or warnings. Since installing the drive (OS is not installed on this HDD) the computer will boot only every other four attempts (it will freeze on the Windows greeting screen), attempting to move any sized file (seriously, moving anything on this drive or onto this drive) locks the computer (not freezes, locks it—no caps indicator LED, nothing) instantly and games now stutter (might be the wrong term but it jerks around like crazy when it never used to).

I have no idea how to use it but CrystalDiskInfo reads the drive off as "Good" in health status. This was supposed to be a new HDD, was not refurbished, but it looks like it is near death. What do you more knowledgeable people think? Did TD screw with me (again)?

edit

we unhooked it and the problems stopped. So it is definitely HDD, right? :lesigh

Bro's build if it is needed:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-Z90-CP 62.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  + the new HDD
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full (32/64-bit)
Monitor: Samsung S27C230B 27.0" Monitor 

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

They may of screwed you over with a bad HDD. Try to contact support and tell them your issue and see if you can get a refund or replacement.

Need help? Just message me.  @_avax Please quote me for responses.

Update

I think the problem still persists even without the HDD. It isn't as bad with the HDD plugged in but the stuttering in games happens every now and then, and very rarely does moving things etc lock the PC. So I checked the RAM and the fourth stick was running at a higher speed. I removed it and it seems to have vanished, but upon plugging the HDD back it to test it the Windows wouldn't boot (loading screen froze). I will try again in the morning because it is late but I thought this information might be needed for anyone reading and willing to help.

Thanks!

They may of screwed you over with a bad HDD. Try to contact support and tell them your issue and see if you can get a refund or replacement.

Alright I tried, but I can't contact support. I clicked the button and it gives me an internal error. Convenient for them. I will try again in the morning, hopefully the page will work.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Update

I think the problem still persists even without the HDD. It isn't as bad with the HDD plugged in but the stuttering in games happens every now and then, and very rarely does moving things etc lock the PC. So I checked the RAM and the fourth stick was running at a higher speed. I removed it and it seems to have vanished, but upon plugging the HDD back it to test it the Windows wouldn't boot (loading screen froze). I will try again in the morning because it is late but I thought this information might be needed for anyone reading and willing to help.

Thanks!

Alright I tried, but I can't contact support. I clicked the button and it gives me an internal error. Convenient for them. I will try again in the morning, hopefully the page will work.

Sounds like a annoying night for you. Hehe. Yeah come back with what you get.

Need help? Just message me.  @_avax Please quote me for responses.

Hello,

So I ordered the Seagate 1T HDD from Tigerdirect when it was 30$ for my brother. We hooked it up a few days ago, ran SeaTools on it and HDD test on it. First passed but the second would run for a few seconds and then just stop without any errors or warnings. Since installing the drive (OS is not installed on this HDD) the computer will boot only every other four attempts (it will freeze on the Windows greeting screen), attempting to move any sized file (seriously, moving anything on this drive or onto this drive) locks the computer (not freezes, locks it—no caps indicator LED, nothing) instantly and games now stutter (might be the wrong term but it jerks around like crazy when it never used to).

I have no idea how to use it but CrystalDiskInfo reads the drive off as "Good" in health status. This was supposed to be a new HDD, was not refurbished, but it looks like it is near death. What do you more knowledgeable people think? Did TD screw with me (again)?

edit

we unhooked it and the problems stopped. So it is definitely HDD, right? :lesigh

Bro's build if it is needed:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor 

CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-Z90-CP 62.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  + the new HDD

Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case 

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full (32/64-bit)

Monitor: Samsung S27C230B 27.0" Monitor 

Hey Albatross (I love the avatar!),

I would get the manufacturers' diagnostic tools and run them on both drives to make sure both of them are functioning properly. I would use WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for the WD Black drive ( http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=x5IdT8). If the tools do not work properly, hook up the drives to a different system via a SATA to USB cable and a power cable (for the 3.5" drives if any), an external enclosure or a simple docking station. 
I would do a stress test of all parts (CPU, memory, GPU, PSU) to see which of them might be causing the problems (if it's not caused by the storage).
I would also check for memory leaks (although I doubt that this owuld be the issue). Here's a link to that: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms859408.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
If all else fails, try running the build on its bare minimum (no GPU, one stick of RAM, no HDD) and see how this goes when you plug the rest one by one. You could also try them on a different system if you can.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Albatross (I love the avatar!),

I would get the manufacturers' diagnostic tools and run them on both drives to make sure both of them are functioning properly. I would use WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for the WD Black drive ( http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=x5IdT8). If the tools do not work properly, hook up the drives to a different system via a SATA to USB cable and a power cable (for the 3.5" drives if any), an external enclosure or a simple docking station. 
I would do a stress test of all parts (CPU, memory, GPU, PSU) to see which of them might be causing the problems (if it's not caused by the storage).
I would also check for memory leaks (although I doubt that this owuld be the issue). Here's a link to that: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms859408.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
If all else fails, try running the build on its bare minimum (no GPU, one stick of RAM, no HDD) and see how this goes when you plug the rest one by one. You could also try them on a different system if you can.

Captain_WD.

Hi,

We have run the tools on all drives he has in his build. They came back with passes, no failures. It only started after he hooked up the Seagate (WD has never failed me ahaha). I have run his system on the minimums (no GPU, one RAM stick installed) but the issue persisted with the SG installed. However once I disconnected the Seagate and fiddled with everything (see above) I found that one of the sticks started working at a higher speed when all of them were installed. So I removed that and the stuttering etc has all but vanished. I was going to see if the HDD being hooked up again would cause the problems again but the system would not boot and I didn't want to fiddle with it any longer (3am).

I haven't done the memory leaks or stress the GPU (did for ram and CPU though when we first got the PC together) but I will do that first thing in the morning, thank you for the links! :D

Hi,

We have run the tools on all drives he has in his build. They came back with passes, no failures. It only started after he hooked up the Seagate (WD has never failed me ahaha). I have run his system on the minimums (no GPU, one RAM stick installed) but the issue persisted with the SG installed. However once I disconnected the Seagate and fiddled with everything (see above) I found that one of the sticks started working at a higher speed when all of them were installed. So I removed that and the stuttering etc has all but vanished. I was going to see if the HDD being hooked up again would cause the problems again but the system would not boot and I didn't want to fiddle with it any longer (3am).

I haven't done the memory leaks or stress the GPU (did for ram and CPU though when we first got the PC together) but I will do that first thing in the morning, thank you for the links! :D

Do post back with some results and if you haven't identified the problem, I'll look into more possible solutions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Do post back with some results and if you haven't identified the problem, I'll look into more possible solutions :)

Captain_WD.

Hi,

Okay, with the one ram stick out and without the HDD I tested his system with stress tests and BF3 (Which always gave me an indicator if something was unstable) and the system acted perfectly fine. So I put the HDD back in without the ram. Right from the start it was acting fine. No more freezing, stuttering, weird boot up errors etc etc. So I tested the system again with the HDD installed and still no problems. I'm guessing it was the ram...but now I am having difficulties with the back USB ports on his computer. :lol:

Last measures to ensure it is the ram and not the HDD guys?

Hi,

Okay, with the one ram stick out and without the HDD I tested his system with stress tests and BF3 (Which always gave me an indicator if something was unstable) and the system acted perfectly fine. So I put the HDD back in without the ram. Right from the start it was acting fine. No more freezing, stuttering, weird boot up errors etc etc. So I tested the system again with the HDD installed and still no problems. I'm guessing it was the ram...but now I am having difficulties with the back USB ports on his computer. :lol:

Last measures to ensure it is the ram and not the HDD guys?

Now that your system is running, I would suggest running diagnostic tools on the drives and see their condition. Post back with the results from WD DLG and if the WD drive passes it. 
Regarding the RAM, I would test all stick on all slots to see if and which one is faulty and of the problem comes from the RAM stick or the memory slot (if the problem comes from the RAM at all).

Captain_WD.