Upgrading to a 4690 worth it for me?

Hi guys, I'm planning to upgrade my CPU, but some say my CPU is still good

I was wondering if i upgraded to 4690 (no K cause i dont know how to OC) from my 2320 worth it

im playing in 1440p monitor.

will upgrading to a better CPU help my games run better FPS?

my PC Specs

i5 2320

Galax Black EXOC GTX 970

4g Ram

you will forsure see some fps improvements, but i would see some addition to ram in the future.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Yes, an upgrade would be good for you.

-snip-

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

i would hunt down for a cheap i7-2600K, i7-2700K or i7-3770(k) and re-use your current motherboard..also you want 8GB of RAM for gaming.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Hi guys, I'm planning to upgrade my CPU, but some say my CPU is still good

I was wondering if i upgraded to 4690 (no K cause i dont know how to OC) from my 2320 worth it

my PC Specs

i5 2320

Galax Black EXOC GTX 970

4g Ram

to a non K? no. Just save up some more, wait for the next gen cpu's and by a k version

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

you will forsure see some fps improvements, but i would see some addition to ram in the future.

okay man thanks! will upgrading ram help with FPS too?

to a non K? no. Just save up some more, wait for the next gen cpu's and by a k version

when will the next gen cpu's release?

you will get probably a 0 fps increase with buying more ram, but in return, you can run 80% more games, and have a browser open while playing without your computer crashing.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

you will get probably a 0 fps increase with buying more ram, but in return, you can run 80% more games, and have a browser open while playing without your computer crashing.

probably a stupid question, but dual channel rams any good? in gaming atleast.

thats most likely something you shouldn't have to worry about (maybe)

if you are currently rocking 2x2 sticks of ram, i would probably pick up 2x4 ram to have a total of 12 GB and maximum channel efficiency, or buy 2 more 2 gb sticks and have no room to upgrade to 16GB in te future.

if you have 1 stick of 4gb ram, just buy another 4gb stick.

if you can only have 2 sticks of ram, and have 2 sticks of 2, you need to scrap both to either get 2 sticks of 4 or 1 stick of 8, in this comparison they are pretty much the same.

Honestly I have no idea but I imagine sometime soon, I saw they had desktop broadwell at gdc so it can't be too far off.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

i would hunt down for a cheap i7-2600K, i7-2700K or i7-3770(k) and re-use your current motherboard..also you want 8GB of RAM for gaming.

I would go with this also...

Hi guys,

my PC Specs

i5 2320

Galax Black EXOC GTX 970

4g Ram

With the i7 2700K & i7 2600K,..beast.... isn't too hard to find,.. even at a nice price.

You'll be beating a 4690 in Multithreading tasks and only a short fall behind in Single threaded tasks, which a SUPER easy OC to 4.5-4.8Ghz on aircooling alone bridges the gap.

(Sandy is known for high OC potential, even in bad airflow situations)

With the OC in place you'll surpass the 4690 at times and trade blows in other software.

Overall it's the cheapest solution and you'll get the performance your after without feeling like you made the wrong move,.. cos you didn't.

/When it comes to dual channel vs single channel memory (regardless of amount), Go with Nike and Just Do It. I'm sure where it counts it does count,.. heavy instruction threads and such.

Users may not perceive a difference but going from 28GB/s Read and Write down to 14GB/s but may be it hinders some heavy threaded work.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It won't make a noticeable difference in games, less than 5 fps probably, but if you are gaming on integrated graphics it will matter a lot more.

It won't make a noticeable difference in games, less than 5 fps probably, but if you are gaming on integrated graphics it will matter a lot more.

Not even 1 FPS with a dedicated graphics card.

if you can only have 2 sticks of ram, and have 2 sticks of 2, you need to scrap both to either get 2 sticks of 4 or 1 stick of 8, in this comparison they are pretty much the same.

in that case get a SINGLE 8GB stick...cheaper, more efficient and leave room to upgrade to 16GB if needed in the future.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

If you want a new CPU for Haswell and you don't want to overclock I highly recommend the Xeon E3-1231 V3 because it is pretty much the i7 4770 at the price of the 4690. (+$30)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.