Wooden ATX testbench?

Dubesta11

So I was going to build a full case in woodshop, but I don't have enough time or resources to do so. So I was thinking of a standard test bench instead, something with a motherboard, PSU, HDD, and possibly some type of card support in the back. Ideas for how simple that would be? Thanks.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Shouldn't be too difficult. You would just need to make a motherboard tray with PCIe brackets, it would be easier to buy a metal bracket and then attach it, and a place to get the PSU and stuff like that. So overall no that hard as long as you are willing to put some time in.

Quote me to get a reply!

So I was going to build a full case in woodshop, but I don't have enough time or resources to do so. So I was thinking of a standard test bench instead, something with a motherboard, PSU, HDD, and possibly some type of card support in the back. Ideas for how simple that would be? Thanks.

You could make the entire unit out of wood and similar to many test benches on the market have an aluminum or metal bar come across the back to help support large GPU's.

front.jpg

You could make the entire unit out of wood and similar to many test benches on the market have an aluminum or metal bar come across the back to help support large GPU's.

front.jpg

Thats the design I was looking for! Thanks, I might go with that PCI design. Should I make a PSU mount? Or something that kinds of recesses it. 

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Thats the design I was looking for! Thanks, I might go with that PCI design. Should I make a PSU mount? Or something that kinds of recesses it. 

If you plan to move your systems around often and re-position things I think it's best to make some sort of mount to hold it in place like a small raised tray in the bottom of the board or a bracket to attach it the PSU or drives to lower board

If you plan to move your systems around often and re-position things I think it's best to make some sort of mount to hold it in place like a small raised tray in the bottom of the board or a bracket to attach it the PSU or drives to lower board

It would just be a tray that can accept any size PSU (not secured, or rubberized). It would just be for testing systems or light work, nothing major.

The Grey Squirrel

If you have long holes/sliders in your tray, you could have adjustable rails for different sized PSUs. I think that'd be pretty cool.

Aren't they all the same size width wise? Since it's a standard size?

The Grey Squirrel

Aren't they all the same size width wise? Since it's a standard size?

I think he may be referring to the length/depth of ATX PSU's or the the SFX sized PSU for extra small builds.

I think he may be referring to the length/depth of ATX PSU's or the the SFX sized PSU for extra small builds.

I see, it would be for normal ATX power supplies. 

The Grey Squirrel