Need help/suggestions

Karlo DC

Hi everyone, I am a new member here from the Philippines! Linus really got me interested in this helpful community so I am seeking help out from you guys. I am planning on building a gaming/productivity machine. However, I am on a tight budget. I currently have a Cougar SL 600w Power Supply that I used rarely from my old CPU. The other parts are to be disposed of since they are already 5 years old! Here are the specs I have in mind.

Cooler Master K350 USB 3.0 Window Edition

Asus A88X-Gamer

Kingston Hyper X Fury 8gb ddr3 1866

AMD A10 7850K, 3.7-4.0Ghz, 4-Core, 512 Shaders

Kingston V300 120GB SATA

Note that I did not include the GPU and HDD yet since I plan on focusing first on the productivity part. Will this be a solid build for me? Also, a quick question on the upgradability of the Kaveri CPU I posted above, will it be compatible with a GPU upgrade for the future? Thanks everyone! I hope I can learn so much from you guys! Have a nice day! 

Now hold up, what are the specs on the "old" machine? chances are some parts may yet be worthwhile.

@Karlo DC don't forget to follow your threads

Woo!

@Karlo DC where will you buy your parts? If you're going with a productivity and gaming platform might as well get an i5-4460 and a B85 MOBO with that. As for the SSD/HDD combo, a Crucial MX100/Samsung EVO 840 and a WD Blue is a great combo.

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

For productivity, 4gbs of RAM is enough. Also, get 1600mhz CAS 9 RAM, not 1866mhz. The cheapest one. It makes no difference on going 2x4 or 1x8 (for your needs), so you might as well start with just 4gbs.

Also, no, don't get the A10. Get the cheapest LGA 1150 board that has usb 3.0 headers + an i3, even i5 if you can afford.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Now hold up, what are the specs on the "old" machine? chances are some parts may yet be worthwhile.

@Karlo DC don't forget to follow your threads

I don't think the parts are still worthwhile except for the PSU that I bought last year. I already sold the HD7750 GPU that I bought last year as well to a friend. The rest of the parts are already 5 years old. The main reason for this upgrade is that my motherboard is broken. :(

@Karlo DC where will you buy your parts? If you're going with a productivity and gaming platform might as well get an i5-4460 and a B85 MOBO with that. As for the SSD/HDD combo, a Crucial MX100/Samsung EVO 840 and a WD Blue is a great combo.

Hi Kabayan! Nice to see a fellow Filipino here. I will buy parts from a shop I know personally. I don't know if you're familiar with PC Klinik/Big Four Global. I initially planned on getting an i5 4690K but went against it due to the cost. I chose the parts I mentioned above because it will allow me to upgrade eventually in the following months.

For productivity, 4gbs of RAM is enough. Also, get 1600mhz CAS 9 RAM, not 1866mhz. The cheapest one. It makes no difference on going 2x4 or 1x8 (for your needs), so you might as well start with just 4gbs.

Also, no, don't get the A10. Get the cheapest LGA 1150 board that has usb 3.0 headers + an i3, even i5 if you can afford.

I have this other setup in mind. Do you think it's ok?

Asus Z97 K

Kingston Hyper x Fury 8GB DDR3 1866

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5-3.9GHz 4-Core

Kingston V300 120GB SATA

Hi Kabayan! Nice to see a fellow Filipino here. I will buy parts from a shop I know personally. I don't know if you're familiar with PC Klinik/Big Four Global. I initially planned on getting an i5 4690K but went against it due to the cost. I chose the parts I mentioned above because it will allow me to upgrade eventually in the following months.

Try to visit dynaquestpc.com. If you really want to upgrade eventually, you can get a G3258 and a MSI Z97-G55 SLI then wait for Broadwell(like me :D).

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

I have this other setup in mind. Do you think it's ok?

Asus Z97 K

Kingston Hyper x Fury 8GB DDR3 1866

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5-3.9GHz 4-Core

Kingston V300 120GB SATA

Kingston V300 = trash. Pick any other SSD, but don't pick this one.

Aside for it, solid choice. Just remember to get a CPU cooler when you intend to game on it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Try to visit dynaquestpc.com. If you really want to upgrade eventually, you can get a G3258 and a MSI Z97-G55 SLI then wait for Broadwell(like me :D).

Haha! I visited the site, my eyes were warped straight into the Asus ROG CPU. haha!

Kingston V300 = trash. Pick any other SSD, but don't pick this one.

Aside for it, solid choice. Just remember to get a CPU cooler when you intend to game on it.

Yup, I wouldn't forget it. I didn't include it yet since I plan on acquiring one once I bought my GPU.

My upgrade in mind in this setup would be a GPU and a Cooler.

I don't think the parts are still worthwhile except for the PSU that I bought last year. I already sold the HD7750 GPU that I bought last year as well to a friend. The rest of the parts are already 5 years old. The main reason for this upgrade is that my motherboard is broken. :(

the ram is what I was interested in, if it's ddr3 it could be worth using. The hard drive could also be used as an extra. If it's cheap enough, I'm sure someone would be interested in taking it in and messing with it if nothing's worth keeping.

Woo!

My upgrade in mind in this setup would be a GPU and a Cooler.

If you'll only be having a single GPU then you can go with the i5-4460; but if you prefer overclocking to get the most out of your GPU and CPU then try to get the 4690k. :) A R9 285 can be paired with the i5-4460 without any bottlenecks(I've built my friend's PC with the same specs).

Spoiler

the ram is what I was interested in, if it's ddr3 it could be worth using. The hard drive could also be used as an extra. If it's cheap enough, I'm sure someone would be interested in taking it in and messing with it if nothing's worth keeping.

I see. The old RAM is ddr2. I could actually use the hard drive as a backup. :)

I see. The old RAM is DDR2. I could use the HDD as a backup though. :)

If you'll only be having a single GPU then you can go with the i5-4460; but if you prefer overclocking to get the most out of your GPU and CPU then try to get the 4690k. :) A R9 285 can be paired with the i5-4460 without any bottlenecks(I've built my friend's PC with the same specs).

I will look into the i5-4460. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quick question regarding the motherboard suggestion. If I would get a cheap Motherboard, would I sacrifice performance?

Also, the reason I chose 8GB of RAM is for the A10.

Quick question regarding the motherboard suggestion. If I would get a cheap Motherboard, would I sacrifice performance?

if it's a locked processor it won't affect the performance. You basically buy a mobo for its features(like SLI/SATA slots, OC capability). You can get a Gigabyte Sniper B85 if you want.

Spoiler

if it's a locked processor it won't affect the performance. You basically buy a mobo for its features(like SLI/SATA slots, OC capability). You can get a Gigabyte Sniper B85 if you want.

I initially planned on getting MSI 870A-G54 but bumped it up to the ASUS A88x-Gamer.