A good first-time overclock?

So I was overclocking my i-5 4690K with a CM Hyper 212 EVO (specs in signature)...

I went in to the BIOS and set then CPU Ratio to 40, which gave me a 4 GHz overclock. I set the voltages to 1.115, which resulted in a voltage of 1.280.

Looked pretty good for a newbie, so I booted in the OS and ran RealTemp. 

The core temperatures were about 30 C, leveling from 26 to 31 deegrees.

Then I ran a Prime95 stress test, which increased the temps to arround 70 C, leveling from 67 to 71 and even 73 degrees.

EDIT: After starting the test, the temps only jumped to around 50 C, but after about 5 min, they increased. I ran the test for 20 - 30 min.

Is this a good overclock?

Is everything ok, or did I screw up?

Are the voltages ok?

How much more could I achieve, while still staying 100% in the safe zone?

I was thinking of maybe going to 4.2 maybe 4.4 but I don't know what to do with the voltages?

I am still learning overclocking, so any help is very appreciated.

So I was overclocking my i-5 4690K with a CM Hyper 212 EVO (specs in signature)...

I went in to the BIOS and set then CPU Ratio to 40, which gave me a 4 GHz overclock. I set the voltages to 1.115, which resulted in a voltage of 1.280.

Looked pretty good for a newbie, so I booted in the OS and ran RealTemp. 

The core temperatures were about 30 C, leveling from 26 to 31 deegrees.

Then I ran a Prime95 stress test, which increased the temps to arround 70 C, leveling from 68 to 71 and even 73 degrees.

Is this a good overclock?

Is everything ok, or did I screw up?

Are the voltages ok?

How much more could I achieve, while still staying 100% in the safe zone?

I was thinking of maybe going to 4.2 maybe 4.4 but I don't know what to do with the voltages?

I am still learning overclocking, so any help is very appreciated.

you are fine, you did a good job.  :P

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Running at 1.28 v should be enough for 4.5 Ghz. Maybe over 4.5 if you're lucky.

If you're unlucky (like me), you'll only be able to stay in the 4.2-4.3 range with ~1.28v.

Generally speaking, it's best to keep the voltage below 1.3 (for a 24/7 overclock), but it doesn't really hurt to push the clockspeed as high as it can go within that voltage (keeping an eye on temperatures, of course).

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Dont use prime 95 to stress haswell cpus use aida 64 or intel xtu it can damage your cpu its because some avx stuff google it

CPU: 4790K (4.8 ghz) | COOLING: Custom Liquid Cooling (240 mm rad) | GPU: GTX 980 ti Superclocked+ (2x)  | MOBO: Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition | RAM: Kingston (4x4 gb 1600 mhz) | SSD: 850 Evo (250 gb) | HDD: Black (1.5 tb) | CASE: Enthoo Evolv | PSU: G2 850 (850 w) | DISPLAYS: Acer XB270HU bprz / Philips 246V5LHAB/27 (3x) | KEYBOARD: Vengeance K60 | MOUSE: Naos 7000 | HEADSEAT: H Wireless / Cloud 2 | For the exact parts visit my PCPartpicker it even includes my Desk and some other stuff.

That's a pretty good OC, but you really shouldn't use Prime95 on Haswell (and newer, probably) CPUs. AIDA64 or OCCT are much better. And Intel Burn Test, of course.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4.0GHz @ 1.28V is nothing spectacular TBH.

I'd expect at least 4.5GHz at that voltage using an i5 4690K.

And if you set 1.115V you shouldn't be getting 1.28V, it's normal for it to be slightly off but not over 150mV off in most cases.

So the temps I got are normal...

What should I look for when increasing core clock?

Also should I lower the voltage or just keep it?

Thanks for the help :D

4.0GHz @ 1.28V is nothing spectacular TBH.

I'd expect at least 4.5GHz at that voltage using an i5 4690K.

And if you set 1.115V you shouldn't be getting 1.28V, it's normal for it to be slightly off but not over 150mV off in most cases.

This is my first ever time overclocking.

Should I worry about the voltage, you said it's too far off?

Is that a problem?

This is my first ever time overclocking.

Should I worry about the voltage, you said it's too far off?

Is that a problem?

Welcome to the world of overclocking ;)

Well the voltage isn't unsafe, it's just quite excessive for your clock speed. And the fact you say you specified 1.115V and it's running WAY over that would be concerning.

What voltage mode did you select in the UEFI?

I've got my i5-4690k running at 4.4Ghz and 1.2v currently with load temps of 68c under kraken x41 (your mileage may vary), you could probably fine tune voltage a bit lower.

Always better to use lowest voltage needed to be stable at whatever clock you settle at IMO.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Welcome to the world of overclocking ;)

Well the voltage isn't unsafe, it's just quite excessive for your clock speed. And the fact you say you specified 1.115V and it's running WAY over that would be concerning.

What voltage mode did you select in the UEFI?

Here are the pictures of my BIOS.

I raised the CPU Ratio to 40 and set the mode to fixed.

TMnH1U1.jpg

I only touched the core voltage, nothing else.

dgHe7Dc.jpg

Is there anything else I need to fix?

To what should I set the voltage down?

EDIT: I went back in to the BIOS and lowered the core voltage down to 1.100, which resulted in a voltage of 1.112.

I haven't stress tested it yet, but I'm getting on to that now.