Crazy Arse Frame-Drops

Go to solution Solved by SuperPug,

sounds like throttling either CPU or GPU.. has to be.

Ever since I got my PC from Cyberpower in September of 2014, wonky gobshite has been going down;

The PC would freeze up and fans would die down... I had no idea what was happening. I went into Catalyst and dropped down the CPU power by however little. It worked and there was no more problems. Still, the thing that caught my attention was the vicious frame rate drops that I'd get while playing any game. The best example is Space Engineers; I'd get 100+ frames per second for about twenty second bursts. After those twenty seconds, the frame rate would sharply drop to about ~5-10 regardless of graphics settings. It shoots back up to ~60-100 after one or so minutes of the downtime, but it lasts for only twenty seconds. There are no freezes affiliated with this, and it happens to every kind of game online and offline. Did I mention the dying down of the fans during this process? The fans also kick up when the frames return to a higher state.

I've done a plethora of thing to fix this, non-monetary that is. The most interesting thing about this situation is the Graphics OverDrive statistics (Catalyst) while this frame-loss happens. The "Activity" during the downtime drops to zero, whereas it would have been at ~90-100%...

• My RAM is set to XMP Profile 2 or 3, which increases frames during the downtime.
  • My GPU is the second of the rig. The first one, I though, was faulty.
  • Adjusting fan speeds does nothing.

For reference: DxDiagLePC.txt

(P.S. I'm kind of new to the PC field...)

sounds like throttling either CPU or GPU.. has to be.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Have u touched anything inside the PC since u got it from cyberpower??? Cause if not u need to send it back cause thats not a stable PC with thermal throttling like that

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Have u touched anything inside the PC since u got it from cyberpower??? Cause if not u need to send it back cause thats not a stable PC with thermal throttling like that

I've only ever taken the GPU out to be replaced by Cyberpower itself. Do enlighten me on this "thermal throttling"?

I've done some very redneck tests... After taking the side panel off my case and blowing in cool air from an osculating fan, the frame drops ceased...  

I will resort to buying new fans...

I've done some very redneck tests... After taking the side panel off my case and blowing in cool air from an osculating fan, the frame drops ceased...  

I will resort to buying new fans...

Yeah thats thermal throtting alright! Its when you CPU or GPU gets so hot that it has t turndwon its clock speed to save it from over heating! Hence the frame drops! I would contact cyber power because if a pre built PC is doing this its really not good  :wacko:  :wacko:  :unsure:

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White