CPU Bottleneck

I'm getting two EVGA 980 FTWs in SLI.

I'm going the X99 route even though it is more expensive because I want the best performance possible and I want to future proof my PC. If I get a 5820 how much will I have to OC it to prevent bottlenecking? How high can it safely be OCed before it will become damaged or degrade in performance? Would I be better off spending a little more for a 5930? I'm pretty sure it's not worth it to buy a 5930. Sorry if this is obvious, I am not very experienced with OCing CPUs.

Also, please don't suggest that I downgrade my mobo to to Z97. I know it is cheaper for similar gaming performance, but I want the best of the best. Especially for the future.

weiners

You won't bottleneck anything with a X99 rig. Or I don't think you will....

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Generally speaking, you'll only hit 4 - 4.2GHz. There's no guarantee that you will get higher, either because the chip cannot handle it, or thermals.

I'd say get a 4790k + OC it to ~4.6 or 4.8GHz on a quality air cooler, or AIO.

To be completely honest, we are so far away from every new game utilizing all 4, or more cores for a good few years. For simply gaming, you don't need any more than a quad core, like an i5 4690k. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Generally speaking, you'll only hit 4 - 4.2GHz. There's no guarantee that you will get higher, either because the chip cannot handle it, or thermals.

I'd say get a 4790k + OC it to ~4.6 or 4.8GHz on a quality air cooler, or AIO.

To be completely honest, we are so far away from every new game utilizing all 4, or more cores for a good few years. For simply gaming, you don't need any more than a quad core, like an i5 4690k. 

So if I can get to around 4.0 GHz my 980s will not be bottlenecked? Will I experience hardware degradation at such a low OC?

What if I just stay at 3.3 GHz? Will it be bottlenecked then? 

weiners

So if I can get to around 4.0 GHz my 980s will not be bottlenecked?

It's more a case of if the game can only use 1 or 2 cores, and is optimized or not.

A 4790k with a good OC will yield better framerates than a 5820k in 99% of games.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

So if I can get to around 4.0 GHz my 980s will not be bottlenecked? Will I experience hardware degradation at such a low OC?

What if I just stay at 3.3 GHz? Will it be bottlenecked then?

A5960x won't bottleneck anything.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

It's more a case of if the game can only use 1 or 2 cores, and is optimized or not.

A 4790k with a good OC will yield better framerates than a 5820k in 99% of games.

But what about in 4 years from now. The 5820 will probably destroy the 4790k.

weiners

But what about in 4 years from now. The 5820 will probably destroy the 4790k.

Only IF the game can use all 6 cores properly. Most new games struggle to use 4 atm.

By the time all new games can use 4+ cores well at launch, then whatever hardware you get now will be outdated.

Only IF the game can use all 6 cores properly. Most new games struggle to use 4 atm.

By the time all new games can use 4+ cores well at launch, then whatever hardware you get now will be outdated.

The 4790k will be outdated too!  :P

Thanks tho.

But can my original question be answered? Will the 5820k bottleneck 2 980s. How many GHz will I have to OC to exactly?

weiners

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you've just heard the term bottlenecking a lot but have not a clue as to what it actually means. I mean if you think a 5xxx series Intel is going to bottleneck a pair of 980s unless you've got it super overclocked....... I'm literally at a loss for words on this......

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you've just heard the term bottlenecking a lot but have not a clue as to what it actually means. I mean if you think a 5xxx series Intel is going to bottleneck a pair of 980s unless you've got it super overclocked....... I'm literally at a loss for words on this......

I realized that I wasn't going to have a problem. I just wanted confirmation that I wasn't going to lose a few stupid FPS.

And its not like the 980s aren't demanding. I can't imagine that many CPUs wouldn't be bottlenecked by it.

weiners

I realized that I wasn't going to have a problem. I just wanted confirmation that I wasn't going to lose a few stupid FPS.

And its not like the 980s aren't demanding. I can't imagine that many CPUs wouldn't be bottlenecked by it.

Lose a few FPS. Are you serious? I know the 980s are quite demanding. There's a hell of a lot of capability packed into that tiny processor on that board. But I think you've got the wrong perspective on this.

Let me put it this way: if 2x980s are "bottlenecked" by a 5960X, there isn't anything on the market that won't bottleneck that setup. A bottleneck is evident when the CPU is maxed out but the GPUs aren't even close. With the setup you're considering, the CPU will probably be hardly breaking a sweat with the GPU's just relaxing like "Oh you got something for me now? Okay..."

It wouldn't surprise me if those seeing this thread right now have the same kind of response in mind that I just gave: you're looking at 980s and a 5xxx Intel, and you're worried about freakin' bottlenecking?!?!? Ugh....

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6