7850 v 7950

Izomo
Go to solution Solved by Anubikai,

I am going to be just using one 1080p moniyot got gaming (maybe one for gaming and one for social networks and random shit).

Wouldn't 7850 in crossfire double the vram though?

(sorry deleted the pic so it wouldn't take took much room in the quote)

Whilst its true both cards posses 2gb of vram onboard, it doesnt necessarily equae to 4gb usable. Both cards store the same information.....so you only get 2gb of actual usable vram. but for 1080p gaming 7850 crossfire would be great. Hell even one 7850 would give you amazing performance.

-Anubikai

Upgrading from GTX 9600, it's been about 5 years since I have last upgraded. I've been going back and forth between whether to get the 7850 or 7950 when I upgrade. Whatever I get I will most likely get another later down the road to crossfire them and price is a pretty big deal.

7850 - regular price 209.99

7950 - regular price 329.99

So what I'm really wondering is the 7950 that different in fps and graphics to pay an extra $120?

Thanks.

For those prices go 760 its between both of them price wise and better than both. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

+1 on the 7950 because it will perform better than a 7850 and you will be able to overclock the 7950 to beat the 7970 reference card. I would recommend the MSI Twin Frozr 3 7950 or the HIS IceQ X2 7950 because these are great overclockers and they are quieter than the Gigabyte card + both are the cards are voltage unlocked unlike the gigabyte one.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

im kinda with joel in this one, newer solution is better just get a GTX 760 with better cooler like this one OR get a 7950 if you got a beast discount

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Upgrading from GTX 9600, it's been about 5 years since I have last upgraded. I've been going back and forth between whether to get the 7850 or 7950 when I upgrade. Whatever I get I will most likely get another later down the road to crossfire them and price is a pretty big deal.

7850 - regular price 209.99

7950 - regular price 329.99

So what I'm really wondering is the 7950 that different in fps and graphics to pay an extra $120?

Thanks.

yes  ^_^

The 7850 is a better bang for your buck and arguably the best bang for your buck card right now next to the 7770.

If you're getting a 7950, it better be less than $300. In fact, the 7850 you should be buying should be much cheaper.

7850: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-fx785aznl4

7950: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=68593&vpn=FX795ATNFC&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1213

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I believe the 7950's will be getting a price cut soon just like the 7970's did.

OC a 7950 and it will eat the 760 alive..

and you get 3 free games :D

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

For those prices go 760 its between both of them price wise and better than both. 

I'll look more into 760, I've been deadset on radeon for some reason.

OC a 7950 and it will eat the 760 alive..

I also should have mentioned I will probably not OC it :\

Why choose? Get the 7870 XT :) you'll thank me later.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I'll look more into 760, I've been deadset on radeon for some reason.

I also should have mentioned I will probably not OC it :\

Yes you will..I said the same thing lmao...Now i am running my 7950s at 1250/1600..I got close to a 40 percent OC... :)

im kinda with joel in this one, newer solution is better just get a GTX 760 with better cooler like this one OR get a 7950 if you got a beast discount

WOAH!!! Your sig is amazing :D lol and thanks i agree with me too

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Yes you will..I said the same thing lmao...Now i am running my 7950s at 1250/1600..I got close to a 40 percent OC... :)

I might, but this is a few months or more down the road. I just don't think there is a good chance of me OCing. 

If you want less VRAM thats slower and a GPU that won't OC as well and is made for 1080p or lower res...Then Joel is right you want the 760.. :)

But some of us choose to Never Settle...

If you want less VRAM thats slower and a GPU that won't OC as well and is made for 1080p or lower res...Then Joel is right you want the 760.. :)

But some of us choose to Never Settle...

It seems like which you pick really comes down to very little details now. lol

It seems like which you pick really comes down to very little details now. lol

What resolution monitor will you be using?

What resolution monitor will you be using?

1080. I may use two though.

Its all what you can afford, if you have money to burn get the 7950. If you want a good gaming that wont break the bank get the 7850. The 7950 is more powerful than the 7850 but do you need the extra power? I use a 7850 and all my games run 60fps+ My monitor is can only handle 60fps so a 7950 is overkill for me. You can get a 2gb 7850 as low as $170, and a 7950 as low as $270. It all depends on what you can afford. Yes everyone will tell you the 7950 is better, but that dues not mean anything less is bad. Any card from the 7790 and up will play all current games at high or better settings. If you want to crossfire first to decide how much you can afford then get the card that will fit that price.

Get the 7950! It will last longer than the 7850.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

The nvidia drivers are having serious problems with many games so that is risky, you can get better performance with a 7950 and you get 4 free games. In the Uk the 7950 is cheaper then the 760. Even if the 760 was better then my card which is a 7870 XT oced by 300mhz to the point where it can match a 7970. Its a slap in the face for nvidia. The deal seems a lot better with AMD.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i have the 7850? cna i run bf4?

Its hard to guess. You can run it of course however you will most likely have to turn off AA or play on medium. You will struggle to max it. This is all guess work at the moment.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I would suggest towards the 7950. I personally just bought the msi twin frozr 3 7950 and i hvae a feeling that newer games like bf4 will need that 3gb of ram.....doesnt matter how high your gpu is clocked...if you havent got the vram your stuck....the 7950 is no slouch....it even fights the gtx 770 pretty well.

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

I would also suggest the HD7950 for its price ratio and you even get free games too, when i bought mine there were no free games with it. And its easy to oc.

Can suggest Sapphire and ASUS since they have pretty good cooling on their cards.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860