New SSD for PS3

Go to solution Solved by ChineseChef,

Alright, this is officially done. I went with an SSHD for the final product. Even the guys at Canada Computers said SSD isn't worth it and 7200 rpm HDDs produce too much heat, so I went with the 1TB Seagate SSHD instead.

Turns out that PS3 uses SATA 1.5 Gb/s so SSD speeds aren't exploited, but apparently the PS3 uses HDD caching so the 8GB flash should help. Thanks for the feedback guys

You made a good choice.  I can't find it now, but someone actually tested modern HDD vs SSHD vs SSD in PS3 and the SSHD was the most useful.  Nearly the same speeds as the SSD but larger size like the HDD.  It was truly the best of both worlds.

I'm a relatively new member to this site so hello all :)

My PS3's HDD is dying on me (Luckily I backed up my files somewhere) and I need to replace it when it finally does. Word from the grapevine is that it accepts 2.5-inch drives of any kind. I'd still like to scavenge my PS3 as my JRPG machine after all.

I've also seen videos of other ppl's consoles receiving tangible benefits from using an SSD as a drive. I've considered purchasing a 120GB drive as a trial run for now. 

I've narrowed down my choice of SSD's to buy. Here are my choices, made budget-wise around $100 CAD:

-Adata SX900

-Samsung 840 EVO

-HyperX 3K

-Intel 530

I know there's cheaper SSDs but I'd like to be able to use it on a computer the day my PS3 really dies.

Comments and recommendations are welcome.

I would definitely remove the 840 EVO and replace it with the newer 850 EVO. (from the list)

at the 100$ price range you should be looking at 240GB - 256 GB SSDs.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

I would definitely remove the 840 EVO and replace it with the newer 850 EVO. (from the list)

at the 100$ price range you should be looking at 240GB - 256 GB SSDs.

They do not have the 850 EVO at my local store, but they have a stock of 840 Pro and 850 Pro SSDs. They're a touch more expensive but within range.

Also by $100 I mean sub-$150 price range :) Those SSD's are $150+ CAD  

They do not have the 850 EVO at my local store, but they have a stock of 840 Pro and 850 Pro SSDs. They're a touch more expensive but within range.

Also by $100 I mean sub-$150 price range :)

Oh, okay, either way you should still be looking at 240-256GB SSDs.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

just get the cheapest ssd with decent warranty you can find.

Oh, okay, either way you should still be looking at 240-256GB SSDs.

In Canada the mark-ups for merchandise are higher. The 256GB version of my list all start at $149.99 and above.I could go for the Crucial MX100 ($129.99) but the write speeds don't look too promising. 

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=073210

In Canada the mark-ups for merchandise are higher. The 256GB version of my list all start at $149.99 and above.I could go for the Crucial MX100 ($129.99) but the write speeds don't look too promising. 

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=073210

Being in CAD would have been nice to know at the beginning.

120GB-128GB it is then!

I'm a relatively new member to this site so hello all :)

My PS3's HDD is dying on me (Luckily I backed up my files somewhere) and I need to replace it when it finally does. Word from the grapevine is that it accepts 2.5-inch drives of any kind. I'd still like to scavenge my PS3 as my JRPG machine after all.

I've also seen videos of other ppl's consoles receiving tangible benefits from using an SSD as a drive. I've considered purchasing a 120GB drive as a trial run for now. 

I've narrowed down my choice of SSD's to buy. Here are my choices, made budget-wise around $100 CAD:

-Adata SX900

-Samsung 840 EVO

-HyperX 3K

-Intel 530

I know there's cheaper SSDs but I'd like to be able to use it on a computer the day my PS3 really dies.

Comments and recommendations are welcome.

So 128 GB SSD?

Obligatory response from me - ignore the hyper train about the MX100 (awful write speeds, although I'm not sure they matter in a console) and get the OCZ Arc 100. Superb SSD (using a laptop with one right now).

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

So 128 GB SSD?

Obligatory response from me - ignore the hyper train about the MX100 (awful write speeds, although I'm not sure they matter in a console) and get the OCZ Arc 100. Superb SSD (using a laptop with one right now).

Not in stock, they only have Vector 150 and Vertex 460. The Vector SSD seems like the better choice, but they only have the 480GB in stock. 

just telling you.. a ps3 won't be able to take full advacntage of an ssd's speeds. you better of saving yourself some money and going with an hdd.. *flies away*

• 4 weeks later...

just telling you.. a ps3 won't be able to take full advacntage of an ssd's speeds. you better of saving yourself some money and going with an hdd.. *flies away*

Alright, this is officially done. I went with an SSHD for the final product. Even the guys at Canada Computers said SSD isn't worth it and 7200 rpm HDDs produce too much heat, so I went with the 1TB Seagate SSHD instead.

Turns out that PS3 uses SATA 1.5 Gb/s so SSD speeds aren't exploited, but apparently the PS3 uses HDD caching so the 8GB flash should help. Thanks for the feedback guys

You made a good choice.  I can't find it now, but someone actually tested modern HDD vs SSHD vs SSD in PS3 and the SSHD was the most useful.  Nearly the same speeds as the SSD but larger size like the HDD.  It was truly the best of both worlds.

I did find a 240GB PNY Optima SSD for only 80 bucks.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Sshd.. Hm. Can the ps3 use that? Thats a very interesting thought. Having a most used save file is good to have on a ps3. And something like that for game installs would be awesome too.