Backplates

Kermit

Quick question - 

Why are backplates usually only on high-end cards, and not on normal-tier cards? Backplates seem like they would cost maybe a few extra dollars to make out of a strong plastic, so why don't all GPUs use one... Is it just a marketing ploy in order to have people buy the more expensive products or is it just due to cost? 

thanks

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Quick question - 

Why are backplates usually only on high-end cards, and not on normal-tier cards? Backplates seem like they would cost maybe a few extra dollars to make out of a strong plastic, so why don't all GPUs use one... Is it just a marketing ploy in order to have people buy the more expensive products or is it just due to cost? 

thanks

cost, some med-teir cards aren't that heavy. sometimes you can buy them...

Quick question - 

thanks

It's the cost of the material, making and finishing it and installing it. In the most lower end cards they are used in systems where function if more important than form or looks so there isn't really a need especially since those cards usually have smaller and less heavy heatsinks or cooling on them so they will sag little to none by comparison.

cost, some med-teir cards aren't that heavy. sometimes you can buy them...

so its a weight issue? I would think that PCI-E slot and the 1-2 screws holding the card in would be more than enough to hold it still and rigid.

that kinda makes sense due to the fact that my 9" card didn't have a backplate but my new 13" card has a backplate

interesting.

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

To justify higher cost?

Personally I like backplates cuz its on the side that is visible.

same here, crazy how cool they look on the side that doesn't show.