[Help] Ghetto Internet Connection

Godcer
Go to solution Solved by Bittenfleax,

Change it/get someone to change it? I'm sure your ISP might be able to fix it (depends what they are like) 

I just found out that we have this super ghetto network connection at home. It is just a plain cable (I don't even know what kind of cable) from the wall that is cut open and ghetto rigged to a splitter or something then connected to our router. We have super unstable internet connection both wired and wireless.

I took a few pictures to show you how it looks.

As you can see, it's a total mess:

jdjSfCl.jpg

Here is a better look at what is actually the internet portion of the mess:

IlIQsWX.jpg

That cable goes to this splitter like so:

472aieD.jpg

And then comes out at this end and then finally to my router:

dmMZ183.jpg

I can take more pictures if you have to have a better look at the cables or something.

Change it/get someone to change it? I'm sure your ISP might be able to fix it (depends what they are like) 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Never change a running system ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Check with your ISP before trying to change anything. I don't know the backstory about when it was installed, but it looks to me like

A ) the person didn't really know what they were doing/only kind of knew what they were doing

or

B )they were incredibly cheap/lazy and didn't want to put forth the time/money to do it properly

As @Bittenfleax said, your ISP may want to address the issue directly to make sure that nothing gets screwed up. I do agree, that is a complete ghetto rig job and needs to be corrected.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

But it is so horrible. I am only getting 13-14mbits when I should get 20, and I think it is because of that mess. And as I said earlier in the post, it is insanely unstable.

But it is so horrible. I am only getting 13-14mbits when I should get 20, and I think it is because of that mess. And as I said earlier in the post, it is insanely unstable.

13-14mbits at the very most, usually less, when I even have internet. 

I see your point, maybe this is a exception ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

True, true! Never fix what's not broke,.... (but he says is broken)   :D

Check with your ISP before trying to change anything. I don't know the backstory about when it was installed, but it looks to me like

A ) the person didn't really know what they were doing/only kind of knew what they were doing

or

B )they were incredibly cheap/lazy and didn't want to put forth the time/money to do it properly

As @Bittenfleax said, your ISP may want to address the issue directly to make sure that nothing gets screwed up. I do agree, that is a complete ghetto rig job and needs to be corrected.

I think this must have been done about 10 years ago. The other part of the cable, that is not used for internet, is an old telephone cable

I think this must have been done about 10 years ago. The other part of the cable, that is not used for internet, is an old telephone cable

From those pictures it looks to me like you get your internet through a DSL line, and DSL uses telephone wiring. That's why I think they were just really lazy. Instead of integrating a dedicated DSL port into the landline system, they just patched signal wires into the existing telephone line and called it good and that would be why your connection fluctuates all the time.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Your ISP is responsible for this.

You are paying for a connection that you are not getting because of the poor wiring that is 10 years (telephone line)

OP "From the wall that is cut open and ghetto rigged to a splitter or something then connected to our router."

From the wall to your modem/router is what the ISP must fix.

This problem happend to me too, I called the isp and explained that the cable out the wall was just to old (35+ years) and we not getting stable connection.

Thanks to all of you for your responses :). I have called the ISP and they are coming in a couple of days to fix a new outlet or whatever they called it