7970 overclocking advice please

Lethalviperr
Go to solution Solved by YellowDragon,

Hi

Overclocked my msi boost edition 7970 to 1125mhz on the core and 1575mhz on the memory and set power limit to +20% using msi after burner but once I dial this in the voltage is then constantly 1.256V instead of dropping down at idle is this normal and is there a way I can change it so it will drop the voltage at idle? Does it matter will it use much more power? It raises my idle temps by ~7-10 degrees too. This overclock was tested to be stable no visible artifacts if I raise the core to 1150mhz artifacts are clearly visible during benchmarks.

Thanks and sorry if this has been covered in another thread already. :D

do you have two monitors connected to the card? If so the card will never fully go into Zero-Core state and idles around 50-60, the core itself has no load but the memory is still clocked at full when multiple monitors are plugged in. 

Hi

Overclocked my msi boost edition 7970 to 1125mhz on the core and 1575mhz on the memory and set power limit to +20% using msi after burner but once I dial this in the voltage is then constantly 1.256V instead of dropping down at idle is this normal and is there a way I can change it so it will drop the voltage at idle? Does it matter will it use much more power? It raises my idle temps by ~7-10 degrees too. This overclock was tested to be stable no visible artifacts if I raise the core to 1150mhz artifacts are clearly visible during benchmarks.

Anyone know why the voltage stays constant whilst overclocked even at idle? I have not increased the voltage just the power limit.

I'm not sure why, but I've heard similar complaints with the card I have. I havn't overclocked yet.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Thanks for the reply. Ahk wouldn't happen to know if it increase the idle power consumption of the card much? Adds a fair bit more heat will idling so assuming it's using more power to?

Thanks for the reply. Ahk wouldn't happen to know if it increase the idle power consumption of the card much? Adds a fair bit more heat will idling so assuming it's using more power to?

Yeah, I think it will consume more power overclocked. I guess you could only open your overclocking utility when you want to game.

Hi

do you have two monitors connected to the card? If so the card will never fully go into Zero-Core state and idles around 50-60, the core itself has no load but the memory is still clocked at full when multiple monitors are plugged in. 

Mine does the same, but it also ups the core by 200mhz also. It gets like 51 degrees Celsius idling.

Mine does the same, but it also ups the core by 200mhz also. It gets like 51 degrees Celsius idling.

exactly, if the OP was runnigna single monitor for testing then plugged in a second monitor that could be why he is seeing higher idle temps, idle mode is basically disabled with multi-monitor.

exactly, if the OP was runnigna single monitor for testing then plugged in a second monitor that could be why he is seeing higher idle temps, idle mode is basically disabled with multi-monitor.

But that doesn't solve the issue. His issue wasn't multimonitor. When you overclock some 7970s, the voltage down't go down to idle after overclocking, single or more monitors.

Ahk yea I'm running two screens 1920 x 1080 screens.  So that could be the reason why I'll test it out after the live stream :D

Ahk yea I'm running two screens 1920 x 1080 screens.  So that could be the reason why I'll test it out after the live stream :D

NAILED IT :D

NAILED IT :D

There are people who have 7970s that don't downclock on a single monitor. 

YellowDragon you nailed it unplugged a monitor and overclocked it down clocks and everything thanks mate! :D