What is it like at university (Computer Science)

asim1999

1) how much more work do you get compared to GCSE/A-level and is it stressful

Not really much more.

2) do any of you do Computer Science and if so, what is it like, if not, then tell me what u do anyway and what it is like at university?

University is awesome, no obligations the only things that are compulsory are some lab sessions and the exams. So you can choose the way you study you like.

3) what is the accommodation like? 

Don't know, still living with my parents at a 15 min drive from uni.

4) How much free time do you get for yourself and friends

I'm around 40-45h a week occupied with university stuff. So a lot of time, mabye even more than on High school.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Have a few questions:

1) how much more work do you get compared to GCSE/A-level and is it stressful

2) do any of you do Computer Science and if so, what is it like, if not, then tell me what u do anyway and what it is like at university?

3) what is the accommodation like? 

4) How much free time do you get for yourself and friends

5) if it is onsite accommodation do you get to bring in your own computer and what do your university friends/colleagues think of it if they have seen it?

Thanks 

1) A lot more work. You will have assignments to complete and more than likely examinations,

2)I am currently a Computer science student. COmputer science is good, mine is heavly focused on java, UML, Computer Architectures etc. University is fun.

3) Having you own rented accommodation is good. Not sure about the onsite but my fiancee enjoyed the onsite accomodation, but it is very basic.

4) Depends on how much time is required for assignments to be completed.

5)Yes you get to bring all your own equipment to onsite accommodation.

EDIT: What Universities are you applying for?

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Good luck, i did maths GCSEs a year early in Year 10. Got a sold A. Work hard and u will be fine

Lol, I suck at maths, I'm a C+ atm

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

1) A lot more work. You will have assignments to complete and more than likely examinations,

2)I am currently a Computer science student. COmputer science is good, mine is heavly focused on java, UML, Computer Architectures etc. University is fun.

3) Having you own rented accommodation is good. Not sure about the onsite but my fiancee enjoyed the onsite accomodation, but it is very basic.

4) Depends on how much time is required for assignments to be completed.

5)Yes you get to bring all your own equipment to onsite accommodation.

EDIT: What Universities are you applying for?

Probably Birmingham. It is local ( i live in Walsall) it takes 30 mins to drive from there to home. If not, i can live with my aunt and uncle in their apartment (they only live 5 mins away from the uni  by car) 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Probably Birmingham. It is local ( i live in Walsall) it takes 30 mins to drive from there to home. If not, i can live with my aunt and uncle in their apartment (they only live 5 mins away from the uni  by car) 

Could you link the course? I study at Kingston University in London.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Could you link the course? I study at Kingston University in London.

Cool, my mum's best friend lives in Kingston (her son says it has a lot of chavs around that area)

Here is the course: a standard Computer Science MSc or BSc

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Cool, my mum's best friend lives in Kingston (her son says it has a lot of chavs around that area)

Here is the course: a standard Computer Science MSc or BSc

I wouldn't say it has a lot of Chavs. it has very few.

since its the standard computer science degree then it will be heavily focused on java. that's how mine is.