Will I keep files on another hard drive when upgrading to windows 8.1?

Go to solution Solved by DelusionalSyko,

No. When you install windows it will ask you what hard drive you want to install it to. And if you're really skeptical on it, just unplug the hard drive before you install windows, that way there's no way the data will be deleted.

Also, I'm not with windows 7 but if you purchase windows 8 you'll get a free upgrade to 10 when it's released...so do what you wanna do.

Hello

I am planning to purchase a copy of Windows 8.1 to upgrade from my windows 7 PC. I have my windows 7 files and other small applications on a Solid State Drive while most of my programs, games, and documents are on my Hard Drive. I heard that upgrading windows deletes personal files and programs, but will it delete those in the hard drive that does not contain Windows 7? Thanks

Hello

I am planning to purchase a copy of Windows 8.1 to upgrade from my windows 7 PC. I have my windows 7 files and other small applications on a Solid State Drive while most of my programs, games, and documents are on my Hard Drive. I heard that upgrading windows deletes personal files and programs, but will it delete those in the hard drive that does not contain Windows 7? Thanks

Stop Stop

Wait for windows 10

WINDOWS 10 LETS YOU KEEP EVERYTHING, EVEN PROGRAMS

PLUS ITS FREE ANYWAYS 

xD sorry for caps

but gotta make a point

Did I say or do something wrong?

yes, the fact that you wanted windows 8.1 lol, jk, Just updated my thing read agian

Did I say or do something wrong?

nope.

also win10 will only let you keep files when upgrading from 8/8.1

it should let you keep files on other drives, but you can unplug them while you install 8 to be sure that nothing happens. 

Specs: i7 4790k, r9 280 windforce OC, 8gb hyperx fury 1866 RAM, z97 PC Mate, 256gb mx100, black pearl r4, 2tb WD Red (soon)

nope.

it should let you keep files on other drives, but you can unplug them while you install 8 to be sure that nothing happens. 

it lets you keep programs

i did the upgrade on my sisters laptop through windows update 

new features bruh

Stop Stop

Wait for windows 10

WINDOWS 10 LETS YOU KEEP EVERYTHING, EVEN PROGRAMS

PLUS ITS FREE ANYWAYS 

xD sorry for caps

but gotta make a point

I already have windows 8.1 so I might as well install it.

No. When you install windows it will ask you what hard drive you want to install it to. And if you're really skeptical on it, just unplug the hard drive before you install windows, that way there's no way the data will be deleted.

Also, I'm not with windows 7 but if you purchase windows 8 you'll get a free upgrade to 10 when it's released...so do what you wanna do.

nope.

Thanks. This is the response I was looking for!

windows 7 gets the free upgrade too

Thanks. This is the response I was looking for!

also the update to windows 8 from 7 will keep personal files on both drives

just removes programs

windows 7>10

or 8>10 will keep all

it lets you keep programs

i did the upgrade on my sisters laptop through windows update 

new features bruh

I did the update as well. I'm pretty sure the windows update will only work when uprading from 8.1 

Specs: i7 4790k, r9 280 windforce OC, 8gb hyperx fury 1866 RAM, z97 PC Mate, 256gb mx100, black pearl r4, 2tb WD Red (soon)

I did the update as well. I'm pretty sure the windows update will only work when uprading from 8.1 

It works from 7<10 

http://betanews.com/2015/01/25/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-or-8-to-windows-10-via-windows-update/

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-delivering-windows-10-windows-update-windows-7-users

And it keeps everything including programs WITH the option to downgrade if you don't like it