Help! I just finished building my new gaming rig with the specs as follows,

i5 4690k

Asus Maximus VII Ranger

8GB Hyperx Kingston Ram

120 GB Kingston SSD

2TB WD Green

Msi GTX 970 gaming 4G

NZXT H440

So i just installed windows 8.1 using a usb stick and i transfered the drivers into the usb stick. Because i cant connect to the internet my Windows 8.1 isnt activated, and in order for it to be connected i need to install the ethernet driver. However when i try to install the driver, double clicking it does not do anything. I tried restinalling windows and running as admin but nothing seems to help. Can anyone tell me whats the problem? The OS is from microsoft website itself! 

i5 4690k

Asus Maximus VII Ranger

8GB Hyperx Kingston Ram

120 GB Kingston SSD

2TB WD Green

Msi GTX 970 gaming 4G

NZXT H440

So i just installed windows 8.1 using a usb stick and i transfered the drivers into the usb stick. Because i cant connect to the internet my Windows 8.1 isnt activated, and in order for it to be connected i need to install the ethernet driver. However when i try to install the driver, double clicking it does not do anything. I tried restinalling windows and running as admin but nothing seems to help. Can anyone tell me whats the problem? The OS is from microsoft website itself! 

It may be the driver file got corrupted. Download it again, on a different drive, and see if it works.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Could the problem be with the driver installation and not Windows itself? That sounds like it be the case. Double check to make sure the driver is compatible with W8.1 and if it's not, try running in compatibility mode.

School machine: 2012 MacBook Pro, i7-3720QM, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 256GB SSD, GeForce GT 650M

Gaming machine: Asus X99 Deluxe, i7-5820K, H100i, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 256GB 850 Pro, 2x WD10EZEX, GeForce GTX 980, AX860

Could the problem be with the driver installation and not Windows itself? That sounds like it be the case. Double check to make sure the driver is compatible with W8.1 and if it's not, try running in compatibility mode.

But the drivers i took are from ASUS website themselves?

i5 4690k

Asus Maximus VII Ranger

8GB Hyperx Kingston Ram

120 GB Kingston SSD

2TB WD Green

Msi GTX 970 gaming 4G

NZXT H440

Welcome to the Forum!

For the ethernet driver you'll need to download it from the ASUS website on another PC and transfer the install file over into the new build or use a temporary USB to ethernet adapter. Also make sure the when unzipping the file it's unblocked I ran into that issues when trying to install AI suite 3:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/

Try activating Windows via the automated phone system, which doesn't require an internet connection. Report back if that doesn't help.

It seems like i cant run any exe files at all in this computer..

Welcome to the Forum!

For the ethernet driver you'll need to download it from the ASUS website on another PC and transfer the install file over into the new build or use a temporary USB to ethernet adapter. Also make sure the when unzipping the file it's unblocked I ran into that issues when trying to install AI suite 3:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/

Can you quickly check if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit install of Windows? That could be it.

If not, something about your admin privileges are definitely messed up.

EDIT: Try this download and see if it works: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/Intel_LAN_Win7-8-8-1_VER191510.zip

School machine: 2012 MacBook Pro, i7-3720QM, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 256GB SSD, GeForce GT 650M

Gaming machine: Asus X99 Deluxe, i7-5820K, H100i, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 256GB 850 Pro, 2x WD10EZEX, GeForce GTX 980, AX860

OMG IT WORKED?!!!

It did? Congrats! :D