UPS choice

iKatoz

I was looking for a UPS but I have some uncertainty about what to buy.

First, i have a desktop pc (specs on my profile) and an iMac mid 2011. The battery life is not my main concern, in fact I'm interested in having a more clean power for the PCs and if possible turn down automatically the computer when there is no electricity. Also i want a silent UPS becouse i have all the stuff in my bedroom.

I found the APC APC BR550GI (330W) but i don't know if it is the right one

Thanks for help

Sorry if my english isn't perfect

Gaming PC

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @3.50GHz Cooling: Corsair H80i Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO RAM: Corsair 16GB @1600MHz PSU: Corsair AX760 SSD:Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD:Western Digital Black 1TB Headset: Logitech G930 Wheel Logitech G27

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5 @2.70GHz Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB RAM: 8GB @1067MHz SSD: Samsung 845 EVO HDD:Western Digital Red 2TB  

I was looking for a UPS but I have some uncertainty about what to buy.

First, i have a desktop pc (specs on my profile) and an iMac mid 2011. The battery life is not my main concern, in fact I'm interested in having a more clean power for the PCs and if possible turn down automatically the computer when there is no electricity. Also i want a silent UPS becouse i have all the stuff in my bedroom.

I found the APC APC BR550GI (330W) but i don't know if it is the right one

Thanks for help

Just to let you know that one uses a IEC plug not the standard North America plug on it it's basically the plug on the input of your PSU you want something like this:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR550G-JP&total_watts=200

For a UPS they will have a heat dissipation fan during power conversion when the battery is running so there will be noise from it theses ones however generate no noise during battery operation, but have much less run time during a power outtage:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE550G-CN&total_watts=200

I didn't know that there was a fan, I thought the noise was electric. I think it's a stupid question but if my computer consumes 400W under load and I have a 330W UPS what happens?

Gaming PC

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @3.50GHz Cooling: Corsair H80i Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO RAM: Corsair 16GB @1600MHz PSU: Corsair AX760 SSD:Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD:Western Digital Black 1TB Headset: Logitech G930 Wheel Logitech G27

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5 @2.70GHz Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB RAM: 8GB @1067MHz SSD: Samsung 845 EVO HDD:Western Digital Red 2TB  

I didn't know that there was a fan, I thought the noise was electric. I think it's a stupid question but if my computer consumes 400W under load and I have a 330W UPS what happens?

Well it depends on the situation most people won't need a UPS as powerful as their PSU, since most systems don't use the fully rate power. However if your gaming or doing rendering and uses more power than the UPS can provide during a sudden power outage it will have an over load and will shut down the UPS to prevent it form damaging itself. So it may not be necessary to have a UPS that is greater than the maximum power your PC uses since most people will not be maxing things out all the time but it can be very helpful in certain situations.

The second UPS linked makes a small electric noise but very little to the point where it's not very audible unless your very close to it.

i was reading the comments about the APC BR550GI on amazon and someone complains about electrical noise. I'm a bit confused and undecided about the noise but I could do a very YOLO thing putting the UPS in another room and passing the cables through walls

another thing: the monitor is always on? 

Gaming PC

Spoiler

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

i was reading the comments about the APC BR550GI on amazon and someone complains about electrical noise. I'm a bit confused and undecided about the noise but I could do a very YOLO thing putting the UPS in another room and passing the cables through walls

another thing: the monitor is always on? 

Yeah the UPS has a certain number or ports on it that are surge protector only and other few that are surge and battery backup so it will always monitor for a power outage or bad power so it will then switch to battery. Also as I said before the APC BR550GI uses an IEC plug so it's not the standard 3 prong wall plug.

2657F88FB352F2368525767900428365_MCCI_7Y

You'd want the regular wall plug one unless your running a systems with plugs of that manner which are usually for servers. 

if it were sold directly from amazon I'd buy it to try it

Gaming PC

Spoiler

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

if it were sold directly from amazon I'd buy it to try it

Hmm unforunately no, but have you considered using cyberpower or tripplite they both are very good quality and are slightly cheaper compared to APC's brand name:

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-EC550G-Ecologic-330-Watts-Efficient/dp/B00DBA9YD0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424644363&sr=8-2&

I was looking for the best but also APC don't convinces me totally

Gaming PC

Spoiler

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler