SSD Performance Terrible

DarrenP

Hey guys, 

Been meaning to make a thread lately. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro Model A1278, with an Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD. It preforms utterly terrible. By that I mean like 120MB/s Write 150MB/s Read which is well below the speeds on the spec sheet. I was wondering if this would be due to me having the drive encrypted? Or should i RMA the drive. I was wondering also if this could be due to the fact it's almost full? Or if perhaps because i've written so much data to it? I don't know. I'm looking for idea's as to why it's so slow.

Thanks!

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I've checked up on drive health, I've written 14.1TB to the drive. The software (DriveDX2) Suggests my SSD is at full health. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Hey guys, 

Been meaning to make a thread lately. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro Model A1278, with an Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD. It preforms utterly terrible. By that I mean like 120MB/s Write 150MB/s Read which is well below the speeds on the spec sheet. I was wondering if this would be due to me having the drive encrypted? Or should i RMA the drive. I was wondering also if this could be due to the fact it's almost full? Or if perhaps because i've written so much data to it? I don't know. I'm looking for idea's as to why it's so slow.

Thanks!

Hey DarrenP,

Did you make sure the Mac fully supports this particular Intel SSD and if it's functioning properly? I would run a benchmarking tool and a diagnostic utility to make sure its health is OK. You can also try it on another computer to see if the problem is with the SSD or the Mac itself.
SSDs generally need 12%-15% free space to work at optimal speeds (for caching purposes). Try freeing up some space and see if that helps.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey DarrenP,

Did you make sure the Mac fully supports this particular Intel SSD and if it's functioning properly? I would run a benchmarking tool and a diagnostic utility to make sure its health is OK. You can also try it on another computer to see if the problem is with the SSD or the Mac itself.
SSDs generally need 12%-15% free space to work at optimal speeds (for caching purposes). Try freeing up some space and see if that helps.

Captain_WD.

Mac's support almost any SSD's. At least that was my understanding? Storage is storage? I've run a health status on the drive, It's at 100%. The SSD also has 60.2GB of free space, so that's not the problem. Would encryption take that hard of a hit on the SSD?

Mac's support almost any SSD's. At least that was my understanding? Storage is storage? I've run a health status on the drive, It's at 100%. The SSD also has 60.2GB of free space, so that's not the problem. Would encryption take that hard of a hit on the SSD?

It might. Try disabling it and see how it performs. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

It might. Try disabling it and see how it performs. 

Captain_WD.

I'll try reformatting the drive when i get home. OS X is finnicky about encryption. 

If that doesn't work, I'm guessing RMA is the next step?

I'll try reformatting the drive when i get home. OS X is finnicky about encryption. 

If that doesn't work, I'm guessing RMA is the next step?

I would try it on a PC and see if it works fine there (benchmarks, check tools, etc.) to make sure the problem is within the drive and that the Mac is not causing the problem. Otherwise, I would think so.

Captain_WD.

I would try it on a PC and see if it works fine there (benchmarks, check tools, etc.) to make sure the problem is within the drive and that the Mac is not causing the problem. Otherwise, I would think so.

Captain_WD.

Alright, thanks man. Appreciate it.