Very specific situation i need help with.

Dragonalex155

So basically I'm getting the Asus Xonar U7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/U7-Soundcard-Integrated-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00CP53ML2/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

My speakers are JBL LSR305.

So basically the way the soundcard works is that you have speaker outputs on the back and headphone on the front. However, if I use the RCA output + the headphone output plugged in at the same time, it will be seen as one device on windows. Meaning I won't be able to have Skype coming out of my headset and games/music coming through my speakers, which is how I like to play. But apparently if I use the SPDIF output, then it will be seen as 2 separate devices. However, I have a couple stuff I need help with.

1. How can I connect both my speakers to the one SPDIF output? What adapter would I need. I assumed I would need 1 Coaxial Male to 2 XLR male. But i could not find such adapter anywhere.

2. Is SPDIF balanced or unbalanced?

1. You can't, S/PDIF is a digital signal and carries stereo. You'd need the S/PDIF signal going into a receiver of some sort which has analog outputs for speakers.

2. Neither - balanced/unbalanced refers to different types of analog audio signals. Usually something like a Focusrite 2I2 is recommended for studio monitors with balanced inputs.

If you want to spend less by foregoing balanced signals, here's a helpful guide for making your own cables to properly convert between an unbalanced output and balanced input: http://www.rane.com/note110.html

To do the audio separation thing you need two devices for windows to interact with, which makes it interesting that you say the U7 can do this. Are you positive this functionality actually works?

Yeah after some research I realized I am going to have to use the RCA outputs on the soundcard. And the audio separation thing.. A guy on amazon said this "In Windows analog-out and headphone-out are one device, and spdif out is a second device. I use headphones for skype (as the "default communication device"), and spdif goes to a 5.1 amplifier for games/music (using Dolby Digital Live)." So yeah, he's claiming to be using both at the same time. I'm really confused here, the headset I have has an external soundcard and plugs in by USB (it can be disconnected from this soundcard and plug in via 3.5mm jacks) so I could plug it right into my computer and separate it that way. However, I would like to be able to use the headphone amplifier on the U7, and it would probably sound better than the external soundcard the headset has. So is there literally no way to run the 2 parallel using the U7?

So is there literally no way to run the 2 parallel using the U7?

There's no possible way to separate Skype out of the signal on ANY hardware device. Once an operating system puts programs onto one output, the signals are forever intermingled. 

There's no possible way to separate Skype out of the signal on ANY hardware device. Once an operating system puts programs onto one output, the signals are forever intermingled. 

Ah, that really sucks. So if I was to get 2 sound cards, that'd work right? 

Ah, that really sucks. So if I was to get 2 sound cards, that'd work right? 

Yeah, but that's just silly. Is there something wrong with your onboard audio? It's usually more than adequate, and the dongle included with headsets are usually fine for them as well. External solutions are generally only recommended by us once you get a nice pair of headphones.

If you really want to get two new devices, I'd suggest simply getting a DAC for the speakers - no need for a "soundcard" with an amp you wont use - and then a combo DAC/amp "soundcard" for your headset. Behringer UCA 222 for the speakers + a Syba DAC for the headset would cost about the same as a single Xonar U7.

no need for a "soundcard" with an amp you wont use

I wanted this external soundcard because I wanted to control the volume of my monitors otherwise I'd have to change the volume on my pc which can get annoying to do every time, i'd rather have a volume knob in front of me. I think I'll probably just have to use the U7 for my speakers then I'll just plug the headset into my computer via the attached USB soundcard. I was hoping to use the U7 to amplify my headset and be able to use the U7 software to create different profiles for different things. Like making music, gaming, watching movies etc... It's a shame that I can't run the speakers nad headphones parallel. I really like the idea of having everything plugged into the U7.

I wanted this external soundcard because I wanted to control the volume of my monitors otherwise I'd have to change the volume on my pc which can get annoying to do every time, i'd rather have a volume knob in front of me. I think I'll probably just have to use the U7 for my speakers then I'll just plug the headset into my computer via the attached USB soundcard. 

I'll still vouch for the Syba DAC for this purpose, being smaller and cheaper, but that's my personal preference getting in the way. :)

It's a shame that I can't run the speakers nad headphones parallel. I really like the idea of having everything plugged into the U7.

Well you could if you didn't use Skype as a separate channel. Most people don't use both headset and speakers at the same time. :P

Well you could if you didn't use Skype as a separate channel. Most people don't use both headset and speakers at the same time. :P

It's like 2am and I've been researching all night trying to find a way to do it. I've come to the conclusion it's impossible unless I got 2 soundcards which isn't very ideal. So I think I'm just going to have to learn to listen to both games and skype through my headset, not a big deal. Do you know if the Xonar U7 is any good?

I actually like the look of the Syba DAC you suggested, but do you know if it would be better or worse than the U7?

It's like 2am and I've been researching all night trying to find a way to do it. I've come to the conclusion it's impossible unless I got 2 soundcards which isn't very ideal. So I think I'm just going to have to learn to listen to both games and skype through my headset, not a big deal. Do you know if the Xonar U7 is any good?

I actually like the look of the Syba DAC you suggested, but do you know if it would be better or worse than the U7?

I don't know anything specifically about the U7. We tend to shy away from the gaming-oriented brands because they can have driver issues and come at a price premium for their performance.

The Syba DAC is definitely not a premium product - completely OEM and trying to be as cheap as possible, but I've liked mine for the simple need of analog volume control. 

I've had the xonar u3 way back when and it had a ridiculously high noise floor. You could hear it all the time even when something was playing. The u7 might be better but I personally wouldn't waste my money on it.