~700-800€ Gaming/Streaming Build

stuka06

A friend of mine asked me to help him build a new computer.

The main tasks will be gaming(SC2, LoL, DOTA2, AC:Blackflag) at 1080p and streaming(the first 3)

Here's the proposed build

Rationale:

CPU/Motherboard:

I thought about getting him an AMD build, but he did want the ability to upgrade in the future and between Haswell, Haswell Refresh and Broadwell, he will have lots of options to choose from. Especially if he wants to go for something like a Core i5.

The CPU will obviously be overclocked.

One additional benefit will be Quicksync when it comes to encoding in OBS

I really do trust Gigabyte. While I'd usually decide between them and ASUS, ASUS's return policy here in Germany is atrocious.

RAM: We'll get the cheapest one we'll find by the time he builds. All I'm concerned with is 2 sticks of 4GB for additional upgrad possibilities.

CPU Cooler: I will overclock the CPU and this will do the job of cooling it just fine, while not being stupidly expensive compared to the cost of the CPU.

GPU: It's a bit more expensive than the GTX 960, but I like some of the technologies that come with the card, in addition to the 1080p performance. 

Sapphire, because I like what they do with AMD cards

Storage: SSD is basically a must by now. He will be able to put all important games on there.

The HDD will be used for other games that are not that important as well as mass storage. He does not really care about loading times there. 

PSU: Between the solid reviews, the efficiency, performance head room, and 5 years warranty, I think this is an excellent choice.

Case: He honestly didn't care. So we took the cheapest one.

I think this will be an excellent build for the price point and tasks.

So rip it a new one please ;)

Id recommend the r9 290 over the 280x, as it offers greater performance for a fairly small price gap.

Don't go AMD for a CPU

That's a no-no at this point in time.

Here  much better then your current build get this one it is worth it.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6T2BWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6T2BWZ/by_merchant/
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.55 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($25.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($289.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $817.41

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Id recommend the r9 290 over the 280x, as it offers greater performance for a fairly small price gap.

I'll look into that when I get the quote from the vendor. 

I always use a single local hardware store, because I know and trust them.

Don't go AMD for a CPU

That's a no-no at this point in time.

Yeah, figured as much

.One's giving up pretty much any hope of upgradability going with AMD at this point

-snip-

Yeah, sorry, that build is exceptionally more powerful, but completly misses the point.

Prices won't be like this in Germany, and even if, it is way over budget. 

Upgradability goes out the window with that chipset.

What I did get from those suggestions is, that I might want to look at the 290. 

BUT

Prices for the 290 are higher, here in Germany. About 40€ between the r9 285 I looked at and the cheapest 290. >60€ if I want Sapphire.

Apologies, I miss typed.

I meant rather than getting the R9 285, get the 280x as it's quite a bit faster and not much more expensive.