Raid Card Recomendations

Mr_Bones757

Good evening,

I'm currently running 2 850 PRO 256 GB drives in software raid 0 on my x99-e WS.

Due to bios errors and overclocking fiddleings, i have already accidentally lost the array once (#Idiot). 

I was wondering if:

1) anyone thinks there would be a point in adding a hardware raid solution to run these two drives, which would mean the array is independent of the bios thus it cant be affected by any changes / mistakes there.

and 2) which raid cards would you recommend - if possible: link to your suggestions and provide some brief (or in-depth?) reasoning as to your choice/s.

side note: I do have a budget, so nothing too extreme please :)

also, i can't see myself expanding the array past 4 drives (if at all.)

Cheers,

Bones  :)

Any serious raid card would definitely be way overkill

Take a look on ebay at old end of life raid cards and what not.

I just bought an HP P410 for $30...I bought it for different reasons than yourself. But it's still cheap and supports SSD's. You'll also need a breakout cable, those are $15 brand new.

Good evening,

I'm currently running 2 850 PRO 256 GB drives in software raid 0 on my x99-e WS.

Due to bios errors and overclocking fiddleings, i have already accidentally lost the array once (#Idiot). 

I was wondering if:

1) anyone thinks there would be a point in adding a hardware raid solution to run these two drives, which would mean the array is independent of the bios thus it cant be affected by any changes / mistakes there.

and 2) which raid cards would you recommend - if possible: link to your suggestions and provide some brief (or in-depth?) reasoning as to your choice/s.

side note: I do have a budget, so nothing too extreme please :)

also, i can't see myself expanding the array past 4 drives (if at all.)

Cheers,

Bones  :)

Hey Mr_Bones757,

I would say it's a bit of an overkill to get a dedicated RAID card for such a small amount of drives. Your motherboard should support hardware RAID which should be pretty stable (RAID0, 1, 5, 10). I would recommend using that instead of software RAID.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/