Wi-Fi Help

projectmayhem
Go to solution Solved by bbrooking18,

I did not know about these power line adapters. Just read up a bit on it. Sure that can be an option.

Thank you for recommending this. Apparently people say it is much more reliable than wireless.

I am trying to use micro center because I am going there after work.

How does this pair look to you? : http://www.microcenter.com/product/408944/AV500_Nano_Powerline_Adapter_Starter_Kit

Should be fine

So today I will be helping to set up a PC.

The PC will be in a guest house that does not have cable run to it. the guest house is about 25 feet from where the access point is located in the main house. The signal will travel through 3 walls.  :mellow:

I do not feel like running cable between the houses as it is a lot of work.

The PC will be a gaming rig and just needs a signal good enough to play multiplayer games and stream online video services like Netflix.

I am looking for a good CHEAP Wi-Fi solution and was looking at this bad boy: http://www.microcenter.com/product/408941/N600_Dual_Band_Wireless-N_PCIe_Adapter

I am not knowledgeable when it comes to networking, and am asking for your help LTT forum.

Does this seem like a good option? Do you have any alternatives?

Your help is anticipated and appreciated.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

first thing to do download wifi analyzer on your smart phone and then run it where you intend to use your PC, I suspect it will be unusable for you, what you will need will be at least on wifi extender or access point, unless your motherboard has onboard wireless you will need a PCI wireless card or a usb dongle

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

damn how much money do you have? A house just for guests?

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

I ran into the same problem  when I moved my setup into my house's basement, as there are no ethernet jacks down there. I ended up having to get a cheapo 100 foot ethernet cable and ran it from my router. In my opinion, there just is no good WiFi solutions for any serious gamers that fit my budget and still high quality. I would dig a foot deep trench (or hire someone to do it... sounds like you got some money for dat guest hauseee) and bury your standard CAT6  ethernet cable. 

Some work? Yes
Better than WiFi? Yes
Worth the effort? Heck yes.

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

first thing to do download wifi analyzer on your smart phone and then run it where you intend to use your PC, I suspect it will be unusable for you, what you will need will be at least on wifi extender or access point, unless your motherboard has onboard wireless you will need a PCI wireless card or a usb dongle

Yeah I plan to analyze the wi-fi traffic when I get there.

Motherboard he will use does not have wi-fi built in.

I was hoping to avoid a wi-fi extender as I have heard they are pricey.

Do you have any recommendations for a reliable range extender?

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

damn how much money do you have? A house just for guests?

sounds like you got some money for dat guest hauseee

Not my house. I am helping someone build their PC.

At my house I run cable to everything. I would have my phone connected to ethernet if I could. lol

I have a PC in the garage and ran 100 feet of ethernet as well. Haha

I am just looking for a wi-fi solution to get him by until we can get him set up with cable.

I have already told him cable is the best option but we don't have time to do that today.

In the future it will definitely be something we will get set up for him.

By the way. Thanks for your help everyone.

Not my house. I am helping someone build their PC.

At my house I run cable to everything. I would have my phone connected to ethernet if I could. lol

I have a PC in the garage and ran 100 feet of ethernet as well. Haha

I am just looking for a wi-fi solution to get him by until we can get him set up with cable.

I have already told him cable is the best option but we don't have time to do that today.

In the future it will definitely be something we will get set up for him.

By the way. Thanks for your help everyone.

I'm afraid I don't, I suggest you look at online reviews from users and professional reviews 

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

I'm afraid I don't, I suggest you look at online reviews from users and professional reviews 

Yeah, I am browsing around right now. I will go with whichever has the most positive reviews.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I am browsing around right now. I will go with whichever has the most positive reviews.

Thanks for your help.

I've used multiple WiFi cards... if you find one that your not sure about, post it here. I can give you my 2 cents.

Happy surfing!

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

I've used multiple WiFi cards... if you find one that your not sure about, post it here. I can give you my 2 cents.

Happy surfing!

So I am thinking of getting that wireless PCI solution posted earlier.

Here it is so you don't have to scroll up again: http://www.microcenter.com/product/408941/N600_Dual_Band_Wireless-N_PCIe_Adapter

In combination with this wi-fi extender: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124560

An extra hundred bucks to make sure he has reliable connectivity seems justifiable. Plus the wi-fi extender helps everyone out.

Especially when we stream music in the yard during parties.

Any thoughts on this combination?

So I am thinking of getting that wireless PCI solution posted earlier.

Here it is so you don't have to scroll up again: http://www.microcenter.com/product/408941/N600_Dual_Band_Wireless-N_PCIe_Adapter

In combination with this wi-fi extender: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124560

An extra hundred bucks to make sure he has reliable connectivity seems justifiable. Plus the wi-fi extender helps everyone out.

Especially when we stream music in the yard during parties.

Any thoughts on this combination?

There is no point getting an ac extender since his router won't support ac and neither does the wireless card, are powerline adapters not an option?

There is no point getting an ac extender since his router won't support ac and neither does the wireless card, are powerline adapters not an option?

I did not know about these power line adapters. Just read up a bit on it. Sure that can be an option.

Thank you for recommending this. Apparently people say it is much more reliable than wireless.

How does this pair look to you? : http://www.microcenter.com/product/408944/AV500_Nano_Powerline_Adapter_Starter_Kit

How does this pair look to you? : http://www.microcenter.com/product/408944/AV500_Nano_Powerline_Adapter_Starter_Kit

Should be fine

@bbrooking18 Thanks, that's what I'll go with.

• 2 weeks later...