Upgrading Your (Intel) Laptop CPU (Central Processing Unit)

WARNING: THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. NOT RESPONSABLE FOR DAMAGE DONE TO LAPTOP. DO AT OWN RISK !!

Have you ever wondered if your Laptop CPU could be upgraded to a faster mode ? eg: i3 to i5.

Well not to fear, its an pretty easy thing to accomplish. First of all, you need to have a CPU, preferably an Intel CPU, although it is possible to do so with AMD CPU's. Depending on the laptop thickness, its pretty simple to tell wether or not you have an upgradeable laptop. If you have a normal laptop, with full ports and a DVD burner, and inch thick laptop, then there is a chance of having the ability to upgrade that CPU. On the other hand, if you have an ultra-book or a really thin/slim laptop, chances are its not upgradeable. Second thing to consider is wether or not your laptop was made before 2014/2015. Chances are that your laptop manufacturer chose to go with the low power cpu's, commonly ending with a "U" or a "Y" in the last letter of the CPU model/codename. An example would be an "i5-4210U". Chances are that its not removeable and that its soldered into your motherboard. Also note that CPU's that end with an "H" or an "HQ" or not upgradable. If your laptop CPU model ends with an "M", or an "MQ", chances are its replaceable. Another important thing to know is the CPU socket. If you search up your CPU in Intel ARK, it tells you if its a BGA (ball-grid array) socket, or a PGA (pin grid array) socket. If its a PGA socket, its most likely upgradeable. BGA sockets are not upgradeable. Another thing to take into consideration is your BIOS. The BIOS has to support the cpu or else its not going to work. I swapped my i3-3120m cpu for a i5-3380m cpu on my toshiba c55-a5285. easy.

um...you made an entire account to tell us something that a lot of us know?

il put an 5960X with a Cooler Master V8 GTS on my Dads Acer Aspire one

When i was building friend's PC i put 4790k on my laptop and then also on the table. Cooler was not required.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440