Amp or DAC Needed?

da_shack

Hey Guys, Having finally built my computer Like a Boss I didn't want to forget my Audio setup.

I've got around 100 $ to use on Headphones and I think i've decided on the Audio Techinca ath AD500x But feel free to make suggestions

though I prefer open headphones. My question to the community is whether I should get an AMP or DAC for my set-up

I know MSI has Audio boost but I would like to have some better quality i've got 50$ to go ham on the AMP or DAC but im not sure if its 

Worth the investment, all help is welcome and appreciated as well as suggestion for amps and Dacs.

Thanks   :D  

few people ever NEED one. first things first, try it as is and see if you like it. One step at a time homie. 

some people will tell you to spend as much on a dac or amp as you did your headphones but everyone's situation is different (i dont feel like dropping 500$ to match my cans personally)

for 50$ you can find some decent units or even an amped soundcard

Try it with your onboard audio first

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Try it with your onboard audio first

k, but Do you guys have any suggestions on decent amps or dacs for that price?

Fiio makes some descent low cost amps and dacs

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Yeah, onboard. 

There is literally nothing worth recommending.

My recommendation is spend that extra $50 on an even better pair of headphones and try your onboard. If it sucks, that $50 wouldn't have bought you much of an improvement anyway.  Better to spend it on the headphones since that's the only part of the system that actually produces sound.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system