Hot Glue

NolanUK

Was watching a YouTube video on cable management on desks and the guy uses hot glue to mount devices under the desk to help keep cables tidy too .. not sure whether that's a good idea or not, what you guys think?

Akasa Venom Viper Full Tower Case | Intel i7-3930k @ 3.20Gh | Corsair 240Gb GT SSD Raid 0 | Samsung 23" LED 1080p FULL HD (x2) MSI Big Bang-ZPower II Socket 2011 XL ATX Board | Gigabyte GTX 680 | Windows 8.1 Pro | WD Caviar Red 3Tb HDD | Akasa Venom Voodoo high Performance CPU Coolerr | TP Link Wireless N DualBand | Pioneer BDR optical Drive | Corsair Vengance 16Gb Ram

I assume it was the Barnacules video. Yeah, it's okay to do so long as the things are insulated and you aren't just glueing bare wires & PCBs.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

If you let the glue cool off a bit (for a second~) before putting the wires into it, then it's perfectly fine....and even if you don't let it cool off, it's still probably fine. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Its perfectly fine, I hot glued both my powerstrips under my desk and it holds em nice and tight.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Barnacules?

I personally wouldn't use hot glue on my desk.

You can try but it will look AWFUL if you can see the glue. You could buy one of those cable

management organizer box things or zip-ties.

blackshades on

Was watching a YouTube video on cable management on desks and the guy uses hot glue to mount devices under the desk to help keep cables tidy too .. not sure whether that's a good idea or not, what you guys think?

It works no problem I've seen that video but is less modular since when you need to add a cable you'll need to power up your hot glue gun or cut off some glue to remove one.

I personally love theses clips they are awesome:

98352510.jpg

I assume it was the Barnacules video. Yeah, it's okay to do so long as the things are insulated and you aren't just glueing bare wires & PCBs.

Barnacules?

I personally wouldn't use hot glue on my desk.

You can try but it will look AWFUL if you can see the glue. You could buy one of those cable

management organizer box things or zip-ties.

yea its Barnacules , I have just never seen people hot gluw stuff to desks when it comes to electricals .. its a first for me so wanted to see what other people think

Akasa Venom Viper Full Tower Case | Intel i7-3930k @ 3.20Gh | Corsair 240Gb GT SSD Raid 0 | Samsung 23" LED 1080p FULL HD (x2) MSI Big Bang-ZPower II Socket 2011 XL ATX Board | Gigabyte GTX 680 | Windows 8.1 Pro | WD Caviar Red 3Tb HDD | Akasa Venom Voodoo high Performance CPU Coolerr | TP Link Wireless N DualBand | Pioneer BDR optical Drive | Corsair Vengance 16Gb Ram

It works no problem I've seen that video but is less modular since when you need to add a cable you'll need to power up your hot glue gun or cut off some glue to remove one.

I personally love theses clips they are awesome:

98352510.jpg

where would I find those? im based in the UK

yea its Barnacules , I have just never seen people hot gluw stuff to desks when it comes to electricals .. its a first for me so wanted to see what other people think

It's perfectly fine, won't really harm anything.

blackshades on

where would I find those? im based in the UK

I can't seem to fine the large flat ones but there are smaller ones I can find on amazon:

Medium-small ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Adhesive-Backed-Adjustable-Clamps/dp/B005MN2QHK/ref=pd_cp_kh_0

Small ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Plastic-Rectangle-Cable-Self-adhesive/dp/B00Q6ZC5U6/ref=sr_1_104?ie=UTF8&qid=1422995296&sr=8-104&keywords=adhesive+cable+clips

Hot glue is quite common inside of electronic components to tidy up the wires and hold them away from places they shouldn't be, very handy when DIYing projects. I never thought about using it under a desk... but now that I have the idea in my head I'll likely give it a try.