New machine planning and discussion

Hello ladies and gentlemen of LTT! I'm in the process of planning my next build. Although my current PC isn't all that bad, plays games really well and mostly without struggle, I feel I could have done a much much better job with it, pretty sure I'm not the only one either lol.

This build is something I most likely won't be doing until the end of 2015 or about this time next year, so while I know prices will change from now till then as well as new products will come out (CPUS, GPUS, Windows 10, etc.) I'd like to keep this exclusive to things available currently. A lot of things will change as the planning for this is altered by price and what would suit my needs best and I'm willing and able to make those changes also.

A bit of background for what this will be used for, mostly gaming while video recording. Also, because of my job, a LOT of audio work. I work with a college sports radio network as a producer and currently I have a machine from work that I took home to use at home since, even with my current machine, it's the only thing that can get the job done quickly and effectively. At this moment I'd LIKE to have everything in one machine but if that isn't possible I can perhaps be persuaded to go with a dual machine setup (which in theory would be better since one machine can focus on one thing right?) if the need were there, which I'm thinking may be.

I am however torn between 2 fairly different styles of gaming, 4k sounds awesome and I am a bigger fan of a single monitor for gaming, but if convinced I may lean on a surround setup which would be pretty epic. And I do know that both setups would be a bit different with setup and their advantages or disadvantages, so with that said maybe we could plan 2 different builds (one for each) and then when it comes down to buying one I'll go with what sounds better and what I can afford at the time.

Current Machine

(Although my parts are listed on my profile, this is for quick reference)

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

PSU: Corsair HX 750w

RAM: G Skill Sniper 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz

GPU: EVGA GTX 760 Superclock 4Gb

Storage: x1 Western Digital Black HDD 1TB

Case: Cooler Master HAF X
Cooling: CPU Noctua NH-D14, Case x4 Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm, x1 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm

Monitor: ASUS VE198T

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech 710+, G502 Proteus Core, Razer Vespula

Audio: Logitech z506 5.1, Sennheiser u320, SkullCandy Hesh2

Its not exactly the best BUT I am happy with how it performs. 

The Planned Build

Color Key:

Main Choice

Sub Choice

Updates

Final Decision

A lot of these products will change over time and I'm willing to make changes. I'll try to leave as much detail in each topic as I can. 

*IMPORTANT*

BUDGET:

Hard to say my current budget right now. I spent maybe $2200 building what I currently have now so lets keep it close to that, give or take a couple hundred dollars. I am in the USA by the way. Since prices will be changing from now till I actually build this machine, I'll edit my budget later.

As I know the monitor (or monitors) will be an EASY $500+ I'm willing to make that sacrifice. When it comes to JUST the tower construction, lets aim for $2500 (give or take a few hundred) if at all possible. The main reason I'm waiting a few months to build this is partially money management. I will be selling my current machine for $1500 to a friend or my brother possibly, so I won't be completely railed on prices.

*IMPORTANT*

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/zelgiusthebrave/saved/KZ2Zxr

Case: 

Corsair 780T I know a lot of people may like or dislike, BUT I love this case. I'm not someone whose very nit picky on small things such as fan noise for example. My music is usually loud enough that I don't even hear the fans.

Corsair 760T Judging by the reviews on this case vs the 780T by Linus, it seems he liked this one a hell of a lot more than the 780T. Both of them look great (especially the white versions)

Rosewill Thor White When I built my current machine, this was my other choice on case, only the black version. I ended up liking the HAF X more especially with the optional wheels.

Cooler Master HAF Stacker Because it's kick ass and could be used for anything EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR. And I have plenty of room for something this big if I went this route. Plus it looks a lot better than the 900D from Corsair in my opinion, both of which are still overkill and honestly my last choice.

CPU:

i7-5820k

Shoot suggestions on what to do, or some i5's I should look at if I should do a dual machine setup.

This is dependent on what direction I go. If I went with an all in one machine I'd assume an i7-5930k and for a split machine then I'm not sure, maybe an i5 something.

MOBO:

ASUS You could say I sold out to ASUS sorta, but I REALLY like their motherboards and I've never had an issue with a single one. As for what board? Also depends on the CPU I suppose. Something in the x99 chipset or x79 chipset or something thats support for i5?

PSU:

900-1100 Watts Because I can. And....possibly something to do with me being an electronics engineer......huehuehue

RAM:

Corsair,HyperX, or G Skill also is it worth it to go with DDR4 over DDR3? Price and benefits speaking Again, something dependent on if I go one or two machines. If 1 machine obviously 32Gbs, if dual machines probably 16 for the game machine (for a fall back and maybe some on the fly video editing if needed) and 32 in the video editing/recording machine. 

GPU:

SLI 980 EVGA, ASUS, maybe Gigabyte This is a tough one. This is where we really get into whether I should go 4k or surround setup. Either way, I'd like to upgrade to a DisplayPort setup. My current rig is though DVI, which isn't bad (then again I've never seen DisplayPort used in person....) so this makes me think about going to a pair of 980's, but which brand? EVGA and ASUS seem soild, I've never worked with anything by Gigabyte either so I can't say anything about them.

Storage:

SSD for OS/minor storage HDD's in Raid for mass storage This is an obvious choice. But, what SSD brand should I go? How big and how many drives? What Raid setup should I go with? Possibly some WD Red in Raid 10? I do plan on having an external backup to back everything up.

Cooling:

Liquid for CPU only or water cool EVERYTHING? I will be honest, I love the idea of water cooling, but I've never worked with it before ever. I'm a quick learner and would love to go with water cooling and no I am not afraid to go with a custom built water cooler. BUT, if its better to go with a system to just water cool the CPU and air cool the rest, I'm okay with that too.

Monitor:

Specific to the build I go with. 4k ASUS PB287Q since it's one of the better ones out currently or for surround possibly triple 27-30 inch monitors on a VESA mount of some kind. Throw suggestions at me.

Extras/Peripherals:

The rest, I'm very happy with my keyboard and mouse, speakers will possibly be upgraded to a much more TRUE surround sound setup, something like Logitechs z906 or another system.

That said, anything else I should go with for my setup? Maybe a mixer board (which from working in radio I know how to use quite well) and a stand alone audio PCI thingy....(good terminology eh?) 

Conclusion

The planning process I'm ready to have take a fairly long time (sorta) as I don't want to build this for a few months (late fall early 2016).

Leave suggestions to help shove me to one side or the other.

4k all in one -OR- 4k dual machine

Surround all in one -OR- Surround dual machine

I really have no idea what would be the best, more fun (I'd assume surround due to immersion), maybe the cheapest? I don't really know my budget as of yet.

Please leave feedback as I'd love to no only have a better machine but also learn about product selection as I'm fairly new at this (built several machines before but nothing balls-to-the-wall awesome, mostly just better than the crap you can buy at Walmart or Best Buy for friends and family to use at home.)

Let me know if you need me to add anything else to help make decisions, and I'll probably update this as time goes by while reading other forum posts about Surround and 4k gaming, maybe some water cooling and other knowledge I should probably have for this build.

Thanks in advance!
Stay gold.

Mainframe:// SIVA

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • RAM G.Skill Trident Z Royal (Silver) 3600Mhz 16Gb
  • GPU MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
  • Case Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition
  • Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB / 1x WD Black 3TB
  • PSU EVGA Supernova 1000x
  • Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
  • Displays Acer Predator x34 Ultrawide, LG 2558UM-P
  • Audio Schitt Audio Asgard 2 AMP, Bifrost Multibit DAC, Sennheiser HD600, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, Audio Technica AT2035
  • Peripherals Corsair K70 LUX, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Razer Orbweaver, Thrustmaster T16000m x2 HOTAS
  • Extra Stuff Clutch Chairs Gear Series Elgato HD60 Pro, Elgato Streamdeck, Logitech c920 Webcam, Custom Built acoustic altering backboard.

Hello ladies and gentlemen of LTT! I'm in the process of planning my next build. Although my current PC isn't all that bad, plays games really well and mostly without struggle, I feel I could have done a much much better job with it, pretty sure I'm not the only one either lol.

This build is something I most likely won't be doing until the end of 2015 or about this time next year, so while I know prices will change from now till then as well as new products will come out (CPUS, GPUS, Windows 10, etc.) I'd like to keep this exclusive to things available currently. A lot of things will change as the planning for this is altered by price and what would suit my needs best and I'm willing and able to make those changes also.

A bit of background for what this will be used for, mostly gaming while video recording. Also, because of my job, a LOT of audio work. I work with a college sports radio network as a producer and currently I have a machine from work that I took home to use at home since, even with my current machine, it's the only thing that can get the job done quickly and effectively. At this moment I'd LIKE to have everything in one machine but if that isn't possible I can perhaps be persuaded to go with a dual machine setup (which in theory would be better since one machine can focus on one thing right?) if the need were there, which I'm thinking may be.

I am however torn between 2 fairly different styles of gaming, 4k sounds awesome and I am a bigger fan of a single monitor for gaming, but if convinced I may lean on a surround setup which would be pretty epic. And I do know that both setups would be a bit different with setup and their advantages or disadvantages, so with that said maybe we could plan 2 different builds (one for each) and then when it comes down to buying one I'll go with what sounds better and what I can afford at the time.

Current Machine

(Although my parts are listed on my profile, this is for quick reference)

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

PSU: Corsair HX 750w

RAM: G Skill Sniper 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz

GPU: EVGA GTX 760 Superclock 4Gb

Storage: x1 Western Digital Black HDD 1TB

Case: Cooler Master HAF X
Cooling: CPU Noctua NH-D14, Case x4 Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm, x1 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm

Monitor: ASUS VE198T

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech 710+, G502 Proteus Core, Razer Vespula

Audio: Logitech z506 5.1, Sennheiser u320, SkullCandy Hesh2

Its not exactly the best BUT I am happy with how it performs. 

The Planned Build

Color Key:

Main Choice

Sub Choice

Updates

Final Decision

A lot of these products will change over time and I'm willing to make changes. I'll try to leave as much detail in each topic as I can. 

Case: 

Corsair 780T I know a lot of people may like or dislike, BUT I love this case. I'm not someone whose very nit picky on small things such as fan noise for example. My music is usually loud enough that I don't even hear the fans.

Corsair 760T Judging by the reviews on this case vs the 780T by Linus, it seems he liked this one a hell of a lot more than the 780T. Both of them look great (especially the white versions)

Rosewill Thor White When I built my current machine, this was my other choice on case, only the black version. I ended up liking the HAF X more especially with the optional wheels.

Cooler Master HAF Stacker Because it's kick ass and could be used for anything EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR. And I have plenty of room for something this big if I went this route. Plus it looks a lot better than the 900D from Corsair in my opinion, both of which are still overkill and honestly my last choice.

CPU:

Intel as for what Intel? Not sure. This is dependent on what direction I go. If I went with an all in one machine I'd assume an i7-5930k and for a split machine then I'm not sure, maybe an i5 something.

MOBO:

ASUS You could say I sold out to ASUS sorta, but I REALLY like their motherboards and I've never had an issue with a single one. As for what board? Also depends on the CPU I suppose. Something in the x99 chipset or x79 chipset or something thats support for i5?

PSU:

900-1100 Watts Because I can. And....possibly something to do with me being an electronics engineer......huehuehue

RAM:

Corsair or G Skill Again, something dependent on if I go one or two machines. If 1 machine obviously 32Gbs, if dual machines probably 16 for the game machine (for a fall back and maybe some on the fly video editing if needed) and 32 in the video editing/recording machine.

GPU:

SLI 980 This is a tough one. This is where we really get into whether I should go 4k or surround setup. Either way, I'd like to upgrade to a DisplayPort setup. My current rig is though DVI, which isn't bad (then again I've never seen DisplayPort used in person....) so this makes me think about going to a pair of 980's, but which brand? EVGA and ASUS seem soild, I've never worked with anything by Gigabyte either so I can't say anything about them.

Storage:

SSD for OS/minor storage HDD's in Raid for mass storage This is an obvious choice. But, what SSD brand should I go? How big and how many drives? What Raid setup should I go with? Possibly some WD Red in Raid 10? I do plan on having an external backup to back everything up.

Cooling:

Liquid for CPU only or water cool EVERYTHING? I will be honest, I love the idea of water cooling, but I've never worked with it before ever. I'm a quick learner and would love to go with water cooling and no I am not afraid to go with a custom built water cooler. BUT, if its better to go with a system to just water cool the CPU and air cool the rest, I'm okay with that too.

Monitor:

Specific to the build I go with. 4k ASUS PB287Q 4k for surround possibly triple 27-30 inch monitors on a VESA mount of some kind. Throw suggestions at me.

Extras/Peripherals:

The rest, I'm very happy with my keyboard and mouse, speakers will possibly be upgraded to a much more TRUE surround sound setup, something like Logitechs z906 or another system.

That said, anything else I should go with for my setup? Maybe a mixer board (which from working in radio I know how to use quite well) and a stand alone audio PCI thingy....(good terminology eh?) 

Conclusion

The planning process I'm ready to have take a fairly long time (sorta) as I don't want to build this for a few months (late fall early 2016).

Leave suggestions to help shove me to one side or the other.

4k all in one -OR- 4k dual machine

Surround all in one -OR- Surround dual machine

I really have no idea what would be the best, more fun (I'd assume surround due to immersion), maybe the cheapest? I don't really know my budget as of yet.

Please leave feedback as I'd love to no only have a better machine but also learn about product selection as I'm fairly new at this (built several machines before but nothing balls-to-the-wall awesome, mostly just better than the crap you can buy at Walmart or Best Buy for friends and family to use at home.)

Let me know if you need me to add anything else to help make decisions, and I'll probably update this as time goes by while reading other forum posts about Surround and 4k gaming, maybe some water cooling and other knowledge I should probably have for this build.

Thanks in advance!
Stay gold.

One more thing to add in the original post is BUDGET. Obviously you are willing to spend some good money for a good machine, but being more specific helps a lot.

Sadly at this point in time, it's hard to say a budget. I won't be building this for a few months so prices will fluctuate from now till then. I'll try and come up with something, but I've also not built anything around an Intel CPU before, which is quite a bit more pricey than AMD.

I'll post a budget in the op.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Audio Schitt Audio Asgard 2 AMP, Bifrost Multibit DAC, Sennheiser HD600, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, Audio Technica AT2035
  • Peripherals Corsair K70 LUX, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Razer Orbweaver, Thrustmaster T16000m x2 HOTAS
  • Extra Stuff Clutch Chairs Gear Series Elgato HD60 Pro, Elgato Streamdeck, Logitech c920 Webcam, Custom Built acoustic altering backboard.

Sadly at this point in time, it's hard to say a budget. I won't be building this for a few months so prices will fluctuate from now till then. I'll try and come up with something, but I've also not built anything around an Intel CPU before, which is quite a bit more pricey than AMD.

Just leaving this here... By what you posted I came up with these of course you can go way cheaper and also way more expensive than that, It also lacks other accesories you may need going with a single pc for both your needs. Cheers

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yPQzjX

You can build gaming and rendering in one machine just get ECC memory and a rendering card depending off course how much rendering will be done.

Madre de dios! $4000 lol, should have expected that. Luckily that will drop a bit when I actually build this thing.

Could you possibly go into some detail about the choices you made?

You can build gaming and rendering in one machine just get ECC memory and a rendering card depending off course how much rendering will be done.

What exactly is ECC memory? I'm mostly new to video editing as I've only ever done audio before (with the Adobe....thing, can't remember the specific name.)

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

Madre de dios! $4000 lol, should have expected that. Luckily that will drop a bit when I actually build this thing.

Could you possibly go into some detail about the choices you made?

What exactly is ECC memory? I'm mostly new to video editing as I've only ever done audio before (with the Adobe....thing, can't remember the specific name.)

Santa Maria madre de dios !! holy molly haha.

Sure thing, only in the Motherboard + Memory I save you around 500-600 You could have gone with the Asus V Rampage, there is nothing wrong with the asus deluxe and a big plus for me was giving you a white themed computer since I saw you like it. I tried adding HyperX memory to the build because it is also white but it wouldn't show up in the part list you can check it out googling it. The 5930k I choose because I think is better to have only one PC capable of doing everything you throw at it, since you are doing some pro rendering work the 6 Cores should give you an advantage, again the 5960X is an 8 cored beast but is about 900 to 1000$ +

Samsung SSD's are the best imo. I'm using a 840 EVO myself, a little cheaper but great performance. WD Blue, using it, love it. I put in there the monitor you want and the PSU is a no brainer the supernova is one beast of a psu, choose the 1200 because it was only 10 bucks more expensive than the 1000.

That does make a lot of sense. the 6 cores (with minor over clock of course) and its hyper-threading will be nice for editing. As for the monitor, not necessarily what I want but (going off the reviews Linus made) its the best CURRENTLY available 4k display out.

What makes you say WD Blue over Red since Red is Raid optimized?

Remember a lot of this stuff that I chose is just simply what I currently know, which isn't all that much especially with Intel. I've only ever worked with AMD primarily so I'm not sure what is the best/worst/inbetween for it, but thanks for clarifying!

I also, for some reason, forgot HyperX memory was pretty good.

Oh, and, as much as I love the idea of one machine to do it all, would there be any real benefit to doing 2 different machines?

Also, what do you like more, the idea of 4k gaming or surround gaming?

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

That does make a lot of sense. the 6 cores (with minor over clock of course) and its hyper-threading will be nice for editing. As for the monitor, not necessarily what I want but (going off the reviews Linus made) its the best CURRENTLY available 4k display out.

What makes you say WD Blue over Red since Red is Raid optimized?

Remember a lot of this stuff that I chose is just simply what I currently know, which isn't all that much especially with Intel. I've only ever worked with AMD primarily so I'm not sure what is the best/worst/inbetween for it, but thanks for clarifying!

I also, for some reason, forgot HyperX memory was pretty good.

Oh, and, as much as I love the idea of one machine to do it all, would there be any real benefit to doing 2 different machines?

Also, what do you like more, the idea of 4k gaming or surround gaming?

Maybe you are right and a different HD would be better to use in a Raid configuration, since I'm using only one  Blue I shouldn't have put it in there.

HyperX is a big sponsor of Linus.

You will take double the space, double manteinance, double work to build them, a lot of buying parts online. The only benefit I see is a more organized interface if that is what you are looking for, what I mean by that is, you are not going to need the editing programs and files in your gaming computer and you are not going to need the games in your editing build. But If you know where to put everything a single computer is my advice.

My personal choice is a single 4K monitor, but a really good one. Maybe later you could add a second smaller 1080p or even 1440p monitor just to check webpages while gaming or playing some music without going out of the game everytime.

I could see that.

I look at it like, one machine focuses all its power on gaming and making it an enjoyable experience for me, then the other focuses all its power on capturing a good video so those who watch it is great for them. Kinda like the two heads are better than one theory.

As for another monitor, hell Id just use my tablet or aging laptop if I needed to look up something like a twitch chat or walk through or for music at that point.

Something I may get, or end up building one myself, is the Buttkicker Gamer2. It's a transducer that connects to your chair to work in tandem with your bass and really make you feel the vibration from music or gameplay.

If I can't figure out how to build one myself, which doesn't seem hard, I am an engineer lol, I'll just buy it. It's only $150 and the reviews I've seen on it were great.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

I could see that.

I look at it like, one machine focuses all its power on gaming and making it an enjoyable experience for me, then the other focuses all its power on capturing a good video so those who watch it is great for them. Kinda like the two heads are better than one theory.

As for another monitor, hell Id just use my tablet or aging laptop if I needed to look up something like a twitch chat or walk through or for music at that point.

Something I may get, or end up building one myself, is the Buttkicker Gamer2. It's a transducer that connects to your chair to work in tandem with your bass and really make you feel the vibration from music or gameplay.

If I can't figure out how to build one myself, which doesn't seem hard, I am an engineer lol, I'll just buy it. It's only $150 and the reviews I've seen on it were great.

You have a good point there.

Really? I've never seen anything like that before, I don't even have a gaming chair, I use an office chair I bought from walmart.

Me too, till my DXRacer F series comes in.

Got an $80 chair from menards and I've gotten my $80 out of it. Lasted 3 years and the only wear on it is the arm rest that runs on my desk in a crappy spot.

Ordered one of the newer FD01 RN F Series chairs since all the rest are sold out for some reason.....

All the stats were the same so I'm excited!

And you should look up that thing, Barnacles Nerdgasm has the best review on YouTube of it. Great product.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

Me too, till my DXRacer F series comes in.

Got an $80 chair from menards and I've gotten my $80 out of it. Lasted 3 years and the only wear on it is the arm rest that runs on my desk in a crappy spot.

Ordered one of the newer FD01 RN F Series chairs since all the rest are sold out for some reason.....

All the stats were the same so I'm excited!

And you should look up that thing, Barnacles Nerdgasm has the best review on YouTube of it. Great product.

Are those chairs the ones that Linus reviewed? Have you tried one before? I'm not sure about making the move towards a chair that expensive.

I really like Jerry's videos I will take a look at it tomorrow!

The DxRacer F series review he did is the same chair. Although the edition he did was the FE01, those are sold out. There are others, like the FD01 that I ordered, that are the same but also a bit cheaper.

The frame comes with a life time warrenty and they will last for a long time. I've sat in an M series before, it was big for me since I'm 5'9 148lbs but it was soooooo comfortable. Well worth it.

FE series goes for $349 I think but the FD01 comes at $289, although less color choices sadly.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

Hey MXVZ, what, in your infinite wisdom, brought you to suggest the 5930K for a SINGLE GPU system? Are you aware that the 5820K, for over $200 less, is exactly the same CPU in every way except for 12 fewer PCIE 3.0 lanes? 

Please explain why the OP needs more than 28 PCIE 3.0 lanes for a single GPU video editing machine? 

Exactly.

5820K. Buy one. 

ECC memory is not of critical importance here. And it would be wise to buy a gaming card over a workstation card to give you versatility to play games with the machine. 

If you guys are just as noob as the OP there isn't much point in posting in this thread, is there?

He's the one who initially tabled the 5930K and you guys just rolled with it. That's not very helpful. You should know he's a noob, he was actually considering X79. 

For shame... this forum... 

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

First of all, what, in your infinite wisdom, brought you to think: OP wants a Single GPU system and secondly a video editing machine? WHO EVEN MENTIONED VIDEO EDITING!?

Hey MXVZ, what, in your infinite wisdom, brought you to suggest the 5930K for a SINGLE GPU system?

Please explain why the OP needs more than 28 PCIE 3.0 lanes for a single GPU video editing machine? 

GPU:

SLI 980 This is a tough one. This is where we really get into whether I should go 4k or surround setup. Either way, I'd like to upgrade to a DisplayPort setup. My current rig is though DVI, which isn't bad (then again I've never seen DisplayPort used in person....) so this makes me think about going to a pair of 980's, but which brand? EVGA and ASUS seem soild, I've never worked with anything by Gigabyte either so I can't say anything about them.

It wins in all the benchmarks, you talk a lot about money not even knowing OP's budget. Anyway, the build is not going to be happening anytime soon and most probably there will be new stuff out by the time OP starts making some decisions.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-5930K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5820K

Single gpu? Only my current rig is single (guess I am too but that's another argument)

This new one I want to go dual GPU, which will cost a bit of money. Never occurred to me that the 5820k was the same CPU, hell I almost thought about going duel 780 Ti's but decided to screw that and go 900 series.

And hey, I'm only Intel noob, I know full well they are better than AMD in several ways, but all the machines I've built for myself and others were mainly for people to save money but still get decent performance. Mine was the only one built for gaming the rest just a much better PC than a Walmart tower, bleh.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

ECC is error correcting code memory, it detects errors and fixes them is a fast explanation. It is good to use them in builds where data corruption sucks ass like in big rendering projects. I didn't know it was mostly audio files. If you are gonna do big stuff like CAD then it is good to have ECC.

ECC memory is not of critical importance here. And it would be wise to buy a gaming card over a workstation card to give you versatility to play games with the machine. 

Well ECC might not be as important in audio editing no I didn't read that but for stuff like CAD it is smart to take it so you don't have to throw away hours of rendering because of a little corruption. Also I didn't mean only a workstation card but that he should get a rendering card next to a normal VGA Card.

Hey MXVZ, what, in your infinite wisdom, brought you to suggest the 5930K for a SINGLE GPU system? Are you aware that the 5820K, for over $200 less, is exactly the same CPU in every way except for 12 fewer PCIE 3.0 lanes? 

Exactly.

5820K. Buy one. 

If you guys are just as noob as the OP there isn't much point in posting in this thread, is there?

Wait so you came in here talking about single GPU setups while he was going for a SLI setup plus the fact you call me out on stuff I never said like me talking about the CPU and in the end all you did was come out here posted how some stuff was not necessary or bad and called us noobs and contributed nothing of importance or helped the OP with his build. Then you should be ashamed for only coming in post hating on them and just annoying people.

Correct it's mostly audio so I can do a lot of my work at home, especially these daily show bits that the other producers and I loathe due to their ever day repetitivness.

Any video editing I do will be simply for YouTube and nothing epic like say a band as large, and well known, as Five Finger Death Punch making a music video haha.

And Sprinkles, he has a point. You gave some good pointers but, like I should be talking here knowing how big of an dick I am most of the time lol, I asked people to give me some help and while you did you made yourself out to be a dick. No bueno.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

Just updated the op some, check it out.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

I mean it is what it is.

I'd hate to do that but if I have to then it'll happen haha.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

So I had a thought, if I go with a mobo like the ASUS x99 Deluxe for example, would it be better to use 8 sticks of RAM or 4? (totaling 32GBs)

I know Intel has MUCH better memory controllers than AMD does.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

So I had a thought, if I go with a mobo like the ASUS x99 Deluxe for example, would it be better to use 8 sticks of RAM or 4? (totaling 32GBs)

I know Intel has MUCH better memory controllers than AMD does.

I know that it is better if you use all the dual channels. That's what I did in mine, 4x4gb. But someone here may give you a really technical explanation...