Simple build help?

rl249

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a new mobo,cpu and ram. 

I don't plan on doing anything insane with the pc, but i would like the option to just the odd light bit of gaming. I'm currently using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti Strix and a corsair silencio so I guess a mobo that'll fit into that..

If possible I'd like parts that are compatible with Corsair Hydro H55, or, if anyone can suggest a better cooler then that'd be greatly appreciated. I want to keep the build as silent as possible.

Sorry for the weirdly laid out post, i'm a total noob with this stuff. 

What is your current CPU? Just to get a general feel for your current PC.

When in doubt: C4

What is your current CPU? Just to get a general feel for your current PC.

something im a bit hazy on.. 

I THINK its a GA-M68MT-S2P with an AMD FX4200

Budget?
A pretty cheap option would be an i3 4160, and a cheapo mobo, this would give a good balance for gaming with the 750ti.

But if you got a bit more money to spend i would go for an i5 4460 or even the 4690k.

The above is if you want intel, but at his pricepoint the fx 8350 might make a good amount of sense seeing that you can reuse the h55 and your mobo.

When in doubt: C4

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a new mobo,cpu and ram. 

I don't plan on doing anything insane with the pc, but i would like the option to just the odd light bit of gaming. I'm currently using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti Strix and a corsair silencio so I guess a mobo that'll fit into that..

If possible I'd like parts that are compatible with Corsair Hydro H55, or, if anyone can suggest a better cooler then that'd be greatly appreciated. I want to keep the build as silent as possible.

Sorry for the weirdly laid out post, i'm a total noob with this stuff.

i would order this and use the boxed heatsink it's perfectly adequate...no need for aftermarket CPU cooling this one can't be overclocked

but it's a strong CPU that will give you room to upgrade to a much stronger GPU once you realise the 750ti is a weak ass card...

this one can drive an R9 290X or GTX 970 GPU in games...best price/performance/features ATM IMHO) :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($177.75 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $246.74

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 10:21 EST-0500

That's a strong quad-core cpu that is perfect for gamers.

...and now, the fun part...just to tease you up a bit...

R9 290X vs GTX 750ti:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1130?vs=1059

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i would order this and use the boxed heatsink it's perfectly adequate...no need for aftermarket CPU cooling this one can't be overclocked

but it's a strong CPU that will give you room to upgrade to a much stronger GPU once you realise the 750ti is a weak ass card...

this one can drive an R9 290X or GTX 970 GPU in games...best price/performance/features ATM IMHO) :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($177.75 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $246.74

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 10:21 EST-0500

That's a strong quad-core cpu that is perfect for gamers.

...and now, the fun part...just to tease you up a bit...

R9 290X vs GTX 750ti:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1130?vs=1059

Thanks for this! 

although that link makes me think about buying the 290x I can't, I need to keep this build as silent as possible and dB(A) tests down the end dont look too good :P

Thanks for this! 

although that link makes me think about buying the 290x I can't, I need to keep this build as silent as possible and dB(A) tests down the end dont look too good :P

in that case a GTX960 would be a very nice upgrade to the 750ti they exist in small for factor as well and are just as silent if you pick a good one in that regard. :)...or even a GTX970 like this one:

Those are very quiet gpu's especialy if you run them at stock, and this is a hell of a performer:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-mini-itx-gtx970-oc,27915.html

Picture3_w_600.png

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR