Your thoughts on my plans for my rig

Hey,

I recently bought a used graphics card and realised that my CPU is not as fast as I thought. Because Witcher 2 and even Borderlands 2 are constantly dipping down to just below 60 FPS and sometimes down to 40. Windows task manager shows a fairly high CPU load and MSI Afterburner shows a GPU load under 60%.

• CPU: Intel core i5 760 2.8GHz Quad core (stock speed) with stock cooler
  • GPU: Asus R9 280x 3GB
  • RAM: 4GB - 2 x 2GB 1333MHz Samsung
  • Motherboard: Asus P7P55 LX

I want to overclock my CPU and have found that 3.6 - 4.0GHz are doable, despite not being a "k" processor. My intel Stock cooler is obviosly not made for this so I want to get a Thermalright Macho 120. I have a cheap case and don't know the maximum supported CPU cooler height, so I wantet one that is under 150mm in height. And this one is still bigger and probably better than the Scythe Katana 4.

I also want to buy some used RAM. I'm not shure if I should get additional 4 or 8GB.

What is happening with my HDDs, SSD and DVD-writer when I overclock a first Gen. i5? The newer intel CPUs have a BCLK of 100 and I read you can't really overclock them above 104, so it makes no sense. But my i5 760 has a BCLK of 133.

And what combinations of RAM are possible to run in Dual Channel? Can I run 1 4GB Stick and 2 2GB Sticks in Dual Chanel? Or 2+4GB and 2+4GB? And will such exotic combinations be less usable when overclocking?

And just for the laughts; A picture of my cheap, ghetto upgrated PC :P

post-148355-0-89633400-1422705431_thumb.

Intel core i5 760 @ 2.8GHz (stock cooler) 4GB DDR3 (2 x 2GB 1333MHz) Asus P7P55 LX
Asus R9 280x  3GB PowerColor HD 5770 1GB

240GB Crucial m550 500GB HDD

That PSU , is it 80+? if not get something better, at least 600w.

It's simple 80 Plus (no Bronze)

It's just a few months old.

Intel core i5 760 @ 2.8GHz (stock cooler) 4GB DDR3 (2 x 2GB 1333MHz) Asus P7P55 LX
Asus R9 280x  3GB PowerColor HD 5770 1GB

240GB Crucial m550 500GB HDD

I might be wrong but try swapping it for something more beefy. I had fps drops with an r9 270x and i3 4150 once i swapped my old psu for a 600w it all went away.

Edit: I would also recommend 8gigs of ram (1600mhz - its 2015) :P

Overclocking a non-k processor is doable but you'll ruin everything else, the way Intel has designed their CPUs means that you're going to overclok stuff you don't want to overclock and it will mean your memory might not work at all. Long story short, if you want to overclock get a k-processor because that will work, getting a non k-processor will not work for your intended use.

The RAM sticks should always be the same, what you are proposing here will not work at all, they need to come from the same manufacturer, be the same size (e.g. 2x2, 2x4, 2x8 etc.) and if you want more than 2 sticks make sure that they are still all the same!

Overclocking a non-k processor is doable but you'll ruin everything else, the way Intel has designed their CPUs means that you're going to overclok stuff you don't want to overclock and it will mean your memory might not work at all. Long story short, if you want to overclock get a k-processor because that will work, getting a non k-processor will not work for your intended use.

The RAM sticks should always be the same, what you are proposing here will not work at all, they need to come from the same manufacturer, be the same size (e.g. 2x2, 2x4, 2x8 etc.) and if you want more than 2 sticks make sure that they are still all the same!

No, no. Only on post Nehalem CPUs is this the case.

@Deimos94 I'd try overclocking, I'd suggest a setting of 166MHz on the base, that will give you 3.4GHz, just keep in mind that your RAM speed will increase as you do this, so remember to bump it down a step before you reboot.

I think 180 will be about what you'd achieve stable from my experience, which is 3.8GHz. I believe your CPU has a stock multi of 21 (21x133 = 2.8GHz), and disable turbo mode.

A bit like this:

tmkhre.png

There are scores well over 4GHz but I can't validate their 24/7 stability, but this 1GHz bump should help a lot and you can always push for more.