Good 23" IPS Monitor Below $230USD?

JujuShinobi

I was having a look over at Amazon, Newegg and Linus for good monitors that won't blow a hole in my wallet and I came across a few good options but I don't know which to decide. These are the few which caught my eye.

Asus VS239H $170USD

Acer HL236HL bid $180USD

Asus MX239H $233USD

The Asus VA239h caught my eye as it is relatively cheap for a 23" IPS monitor and does not seem to have glare. The color reproduction on it looked quite amazing to me (long time TN panel user).

As for the Acer H236HL bid, it has a bezel less design and looks really slick. What turned me off though is that the screen looks really reflective. Been using a really bad laptop with TN reflective screen for half a year and I can't stand it anymore and I don't want to experience it any longer.

The Asus MX239H looks really nice as well but the price is just too much for me. But the anti glare coating and the high build quality appears to be the main reason for the high cost. Not to mention that it has speaker that I can use for my PS3 when I play Tales of Xillia when the English port comes out.

So what do you guys think? Which monitor would be best for my needs? All I want is just nice color and anti glare, the speakers are just a bonus considering I can just buy a DAC (not those super expensive ones, probably the $30 ones) if I wanted to play PS3 audio from my headphones. Thanks for your time.

The acer hl236 has better colors and minimum backlight bleed. I had brought the mx239h which has good looks but had some issues with uneven backligh so switched it for the h236hl.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

The acer hl236 has better colors and minimum backlight bleed. I had brought the mx239h which has good looks but had some issues with uneven backligh so switched it for the h236hl.

I wanna get this monitor but kinda sketchy on the gloss finish. I love it but is the reflection bad when it's on? I know it looks like a mirror when it's off!

Yes please do tell us how is the glare on that monitor when it is turned on? That's my main concern

Asus PA238Q. I personally use this monitor and it comes pre-calibrated out of the box. You even get a chart where they show what they calibrated your monitor with and how it scored.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Asus PA238Q. I personally use this monitor and it comes pre-calibrated out of the box. You even get a chart where they show what they calibrated your monitor with and how it scored.

But what is the cost? I don't want anything above $230USD

No idea, it is 2390 kr here in Sweden. Honestly this is the price you are looking at, if you can't spend this amount I wouldn't really bother. The purchase will feel more like "I have to buy something cause I'm bored" than anything.

You won't get a good IPS monitor if you can't afford this or the Dell 23" one.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Trust me, make sure the anti glare coating isn't too strong. I went see an LG 23" IPS at Best Buy today, it looked horrible compared to an Acer and Dell they had which had a glossy finish such as the Acer. That's the main reason I won't the Acer. Although I did see the Asus VN247H-P at Best Buy and it has an anti glare coating. Its a TN panel and the picture looked just as good as the IPS panels it was next to. If I don't happen to like the Acer because of it's reflectiveness, I'll probably go ahead and return it and get the Asus VN247H-P which is $180-$190.

No idea, it is 2390 kr here in Sweden. Honestly this is the price you are looking at, if you can't spend this amount I wouldn't really bother. The purchase will feel more like "I have to buy something cause I'm bored" than anything.

You won't get a good IPS monitor if you can't afford this or the Dell 23" one.

that is $355USD so no... And the dell ultra sharps have quite bad response time

that is $355USD so no... And the dell ultra sharps have quite bad response time

Seriously? Look at Eizo 23". That one has pretty good response time for being an IPS monitor. Don't expect to find any really low response time IPS panels though. They aren't built like TN panels. I play on my monitor just fine with the said 6MS GTG. No problem what so ever.

Seriously? Look at Eizo 23". That one has pretty good response time for being an IPS monitor. Don't expect to find any really low response time IPS panels though. They aren't built like TN panels. I play on my monitor just fine with the said 6MS GTG. No problem what so ever.

Yeah, 5ms would be the lowest for an IPS Panel.

Yeah, 5ms would be the lowest for an IPS Panel.

I don't mind 5ms, but anything above 7 is kind of a no

So you notice 2MS? Damn, nice eyes.

I agree. How soon are you planning to buy your monitor? I'm just saying from what I've seen, glass coating is a much better picture. Screw a matte finish on an IPS panel. Matte finish on a TN panel however, isn't bad.

I'm hunting just like you and don't want to spend over $230 either. Idk if outside links are permitted here but I could link you to a 10 page discussion with multiple people trying to help me out!

So you notice 2MS? Damn, nice eyes.

I don't appreciate the sarcasm. I'm only saying what is my opinion. I just don't want a lot of input lag

I don't appreciate the sarcasm. I'm only saying what is my opinion. I just don't want a lot of input lag

And I'm saying that you won't notice the damn difference between 5 and 7 MS. Maybe at 10MS a hardcore competitive 120hz 1MS player will notice a difference.

I agree. How soon are you planning to buy your monitor? I'm just saying from what I've seen, glass coating is a much better picture. Screw a matte finish on an IPS panel. Matte finish on a TN panel however, isn't bad.

I'm hunting just like you and don't want to spend over $230 either. Idk if outside links are permitted here but I could link you to a 10 page discussion with multiple people trying to help me out!

Please do it would very much help. And probably not within the next 3 months or so

Please do it would very much help. And probably not within the next 3 months or so

Enjoy the reading lol. I can personally help you, I'll be ordering the Acer H236HL Friday so I should have it Tuesday of next week. I could give you my full opinion on it then. Like I've previously stated, only the reflection would be dealbreaker, other then that I have my heart set on getting it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1402653/looking-for-a-gaming-monitor-under-200

Enjoy the reading lol. I can personally help you, I'll be ordering the Acer H236HL Friday so I should have it Tuesday of next week. I could give you my full opinion on it then. Like I've previously stated, only the reflection would be dealbreaker, other then that I have my heart set on getting it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1402653/looking-for-a-gaming-monitor-under-200

this is very much appreciate. Add me on the forum so we can keep in touch?

this is very much appreciate. Add me on the forum so we can keep in touch?

I have, and I just sent you a message!

Yes please do tell us how is the glare on that monitor when it is turned on? That's my main concern

I keep it facing away form the window so when it's turned on there is gloss or glare at all. However when it's off its a mirror!

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Dell UltraSharp U2312HM - $188.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Monitors+-+LCD+Flat+Panel-_-DELL-_-24260055

I have the 27" 1440p version and I have to tell you IPS monitors are amazing. If only 120hz could be done at 1440p and above.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

I keep it facing away form the window so when it's turned on there is gloss or glare at all. However when it's off its a mirror!

My desk is away from my room window which should be fine. What about input lagg and such?band this "bleeding" I keep hearing about? Does it hinder your gaming experience?

I wish someone could peform a input lag test and let us know. I'm goin Friday to get the ASUS VN247H-P TN monitor but I'd hate to know that I'll throw away $180 on a TN monitor when I could have bought a badass IPS monitor for the same price!

I wish someone could peform a input lag test and let us know. I'm goin Friday to get the ASUS VN247H-P TN monitor but I'd hate to know that I'll throw away $180 on a TN monitor when I could have bought a badass IPS monitor for the same price!

The Asus VS239H is $10 cheaper and I looked up reviews on it for about an hour lol. A lot of people have been very satisfied with it. A CoD player said he had no issue with the input lagg and such.