WiFi Slowdown and Router Troubles

Hey everyone,

Lately our router has been acting funny. The Wifi connection to my laptop will be fine, and then randomly the internet speed will go from 15Mb/s all the way down to 0.5Mb/s, Power cycling the router seems to fix the issue, but the problem has been happening more and more. When it first started happening, I would only have to power cycle the router once a week, then I need to once every few days, and now I seems like I have to power cycle it every 203 hours.

Hardline connections to the router aren't effected, just the WiFi. Any suggestions?

As far as I know the router is maybe a year and a half old. My parents upgrades their cable-internet-phone bundle and it came with an Arris wireless router/cablebox/DVR combo box-thing. I'm not sure on the exact model.

I considered that maybe a firmware update was the issue, and I tried logging into the router and I found out that my parents were actually smart enough to change the username and password from Admin, and I wasn't able to figure them out. I would ask my parents, but they don't think there is anything wrong with the router, as they don't really use WiFi accept to update Facebook on their smart phones, and of course I don't want to do a factory reset because I don't want to change the username and password to get into the router.

Well until you can get in there nothing you can do try showing them proof that its broken or just rest it to factory defaults by holding the rest button for 15 sec unplugging it (while still hole the button) for another 15 sec.My guess is it needs a firmware update and if there is none or its not helping you can get a 3rd party firmware from http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index.

--BE CAREFUL and good luck

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

It could be a overheating issue this happend to me put a vacuum on the air vents or pull it apart and get a can of air compressor and clean it out.