Cant shrink SSD

Uwillparish

Hey guys,

I have a 256gb SSD in my system with about 117gb free, and i want to shink this drive so i can add another OS on it, But when i try and shink it it says i cant shink more than about 1.5gb, Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

EDIT: posted in wrong section, pls delete topic

Unfortunately your are going to have to defrag your SSD, I had the same issue and had to use defraggler to move the blocks into a more sequential order to shrink my ssd partition. so all the free space was towards the last 50% of the nand.

You will have to turn off you pagefile to do this, and it make take multiple defrags (it did for me) to move the data so the drive can be shrunk...

If anyone knows a better solution than this, please post as i don't want to do this again.

https://www.piriform.com/defraggler

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Never Defrag an SSD!

You can defrag an SSD just fine, just not on a daily basis.

SSD are extremely solid in terms of amount of writes these days.

The good SSDs with 5 or 10 year writes, are as good as HDDs. You can trash them and last over it's warranty.

You can't use Windows, as it only allows you to manage space ultra safe way. Meaning it won't move a file.

You need to do it out side of the OS also.

Have a look at Gparted, its free. http://gparted.org/livecd.php

yes windows will only run the ssd safe trim command. Defraging will cause a massive write to the ssd, which could significantly reduce the life span.

Java tuts:

Constructors, possibly more to come.

221 Goodbye.