Changing HDDs

1Scotty1

Hey,

so... right now in my PC I have 3 HDDs - 1TB WD Green, 2TB WD Green and 1TB Samsung or whatever taken out of external enclosure. I would like to make better airflow in the case, so I want to switch these 3 HDDs for one 4TB HDD and mount it on the very bottom of the case (H440). And as much as I would like a WD Black, its a little out of my budget. It costs over 220€... and my budget being 170€.

Can you recommend alternatives?

Thanks

Seagate, I have two 5TBs.

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Yeah, I was looking at that HDD, caught my eye instantly :) 

Just out of curiosity, is it me, or there are not WD Blues bigger than 1TB? Cant seem to find them anywhere here in Slovakia, thats why I ask

Yeah, I was looking at that HDD, caught my eye instantly :)

Just out of curiosity, is it me, or there are not WD Blues bigger than 1TB? Cant seem to find them anywhere here in Slovakia, thats why I ask

nope, I checked myself because I like the Blue series. Max is 1TB sadly

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

nope, I checked myself because I like the Blue series. Max is 1TB sadly

That is sad :( the Blacks are expensive (for me at least), so the Seagate is an acceptable alternative... or WD Red?

That is sad :( the Blacks are expensive (for me at least), so the Seagate is an acceptable alternative... or WD Red?

what are you going to be using these drives for? 

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD40EFRX-Cache-Drive/dp/B00EHBERSE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421519298&sr=8-2&keywords=4tb+red+hdd

the red is 5400rpm, while the seagate one i linked earlier is 5900

what are you going to be using these drives for? 

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD40EFRX-Cache-Drive/dp/B00EHBERSE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421519298&sr=8-2&keywords=4tb+red+hdd

the red is 5400rpm, while the seagate one i linked earlier is 5900

Not driveS, just one 4TB drive .... I will copy everything from my WD greens, that includes movies, music, games, everything... OS is on my SSD btw... so Seagate it is then?

Not driveS, just one 4TB drive .... I will copy everything from my WD greens, that includes movies, music, games, everything... OS is on my SSD btw... so Seagate it is then?

You could also get a HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) (price is 160-170 € over here) 

3 year warranty and 1M hrs MTBF ,7200 rpm (http://www.storagereview.com/hgst_4tb_deskstar_nas_hdd_review review of it)

You could also get a HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) (price is 160-170 € over here) 

3 year warranty and 1M hrs MTBF ,7200 rpm (http://www.storagereview.com/hgst_4tb_deskstar_nas_hdd_review review of it)

That one looks good, but sadly cant find it anywhere here in Slovakia :( only one e-shop that sells it for 217€

That one looks good, but sadly cant find it anywhere here in Slovakia :( only one e-shop that sells it for 217€

Ah, that sucks.

Then the drives that Snickerzz mentioned are your best options,keep in mind that you also get 1 year longer warranty with the wd red. (3 compared to 2 year warranty on the seagate drive)

Ah, that sucks.

Then the drives that Snickerzz mentioned are your best options,keep in mind that you also get 1 year longer warranty with the wd red. (3 compared to 2 year warranty on the seagate drive)

I think I will be going with the Seagate one... as HDDs go, I have not had any problems whatsoever, to have them RMAd or whatever, so 1 year plus or minus on the warranty is not such a big deal :)

WD greens are 5400rpm, so you could get the WD red if you wanted :) 

WD greens are 5400rpm, so you could get the WD red if you wanted :)

Will get the seagate and sell the greens, i just want one big hdd to make better airflow in the case :) and later, when this 4TB fills up (1,2TB free atm on those greens) then maybe another one, but that can take a while

Will get the seagate and sell the greens, i just want one big hdd to make better airflow in the case :) and later, when this 4TB fills up (1,2TB free atm on those greens) then maybe another one, but that can take a while

be sure to securely erase those greens if you sell them

be sure to securely erase those greens if you sell them

Will do ;) thanks for the help

if its purely storage the wd green would be best for this, but i would get 2 and run them in raid 1 so they are always being backed up by the other

if its purely storage the wd green would be best for this, but i would get 2 and run them in raid 1 so they are always being backed up by the other

I want to minimize the number of HDDs in my rig... I have 3 and the trays are in the way of the front intake fans and I want to make better airflow, so just one 4TB one mounted on the very bottom will do :) I have never done raid and currently cant even afford to do so, my budget is 170€ max and thats for the one 4TB drive. And it will be a mixed drive, storage, data, games, etc... just my OS is on my SSD

I want to minimize the number of HDDs in my rig... I have 3 and the trays are in the way of the front intake fans and I want to make better airflow, so just one 4TB one mounted on the very bottom will do :) I have never done raid and currently cant even afford to do so, my budget is 170€ max and thats for the one 4TB drive. And it will be a mixed drive, storage, data, games, etc... just my OS is on my SSD

i would still recommend a wd green over a seagate barracuda 

i would still recommend a wd green over a seagate barracuda 

Why? Serious question :) Because the Seagate and WD are like 5€ in price different...

Why? Serious question :) Because the Seagate and WD are like 5€ in price different...

from what i have heard and the poll i made on this forum with all the votes the wd was much more preferred to the seagate drives

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/285916-what-hard-drive-brand-do-you-guys-prefer-poll/

this tells me more people have had better luck (including myself) with wd drives

from what i have heard and the poll i made on this forum with all the votes the wd was much more preferred to the seagate drives

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/285916-what-hard-drive-brand-do-you-guys-prefer-poll/

this tells me more people have had better luck (including myself) with wd drives

And why green? Those are for storage, and I would have everything on it, games, programs, etc... Wouldnt a red be better?

And why green? Those are for storage, and I would have everything on it, games, programs, etc... Wouldnt a red be better?

if you are gona have games on it i would say a black, reds are made to be nas drives

if you are gona have games on it i would say a black, reds are made to be nas drives

And here lies my problem... Black costs 220€ which is 50€ over my budget... Thats why I was cosidering the seagate

And here lies my problem... Black costs 220€ which is 50€ over my budget... Thats why I was cosidering the seagate

seagate are probably ok for some users but i have hear to many horror stories (and seen alot in the 1 year i have been working in IT support) western digital red is still a good drive for your needs but if you were using a hdd for all your applications and games i would have thought the extra money for a wd black would have made a big difference