Explain 2011

Upgrading very soon and I didn't even think about 2011 when making a part list (all very expensive stuff). Wondering if anyone could explain the differences between 1155 and 2011 for me.

As far as I can tell it's more expensive and it's supposed to be an 'enthusiast' platform but I have no idea why.

Thanks all.

Well, In simple terms that I am able to explain.. it's more or less 1366+1155 paired for end users.

It's being aimed at for being the standard in a short while, with all it's nice features.

2011, is more a logicial step up for 1366 CPU users, as the speed, features & power that the 1366 had over 1155 is in 2011. It's likely to phase out 1366 platforms before 1155, though after a while the cost of 2011 will lower, so that people can more easily and commonly get it.

Though part of it that makes it expensive is QUAD channel ram.. and It's worth it if you use any data heavy programs or games. *not many games are 'That' data heavy* It makes dealing with MASSIVE files 5,10,15,20gig+ much easier and faster because the transfer speeds are increased 2x at the same clock speeds vs. the 1155 which uses dual channel ram. Even the 1366 is a better choice for users who do heavy data editing, and large files, and just can't afford the high grade workstation equipment.

:p slightly confusing, but as it stands, but that's just how I can explain it, and see it. If you don't need to performance jump in ram access, then stick with 1155 atm :P It's still good, but ya.

2011 CPU's have 6 cores and 1155 CPU's have up to only 4 cores. So in heavy threaded applications like video editing or 3D rendering, the 6 core processors will destroy the 4 core processors.

1155 cpus are a good all around choice for apps, encoding and games and they range from 2 to 4 physical cores in the i3, 5 and 7 categories. They're cheap and have more than enough power for everyday uses.

2011 cpus range from 4 to 6 physical cores and are better suited for more high demand setups for crazy amounts of video encoding and what not. They have more performance features than 1155 such as 4 channel memory controllers and have massive amounts of processing power.

2011 is basically a beast and it's what you would want to have if you never wanna deal with bottlenecks.

• Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5Ghz

Sapphire 7950

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Cooler Master 850w

Corsair H100i

Fractal Design Define R4

Roccat Kone+ Mouse

Logitech G15 Keyboard

In theory a 2011 socket CPU with an X extension standing for extreme is the most powerfull desktop / end-user processor without having to find boards that support server CPU's and buying server grade processors can be a challenge in itself depending where you live state or country wise. However is synthetic benchmarks it doesnt always perform the best in every situation.

2011 is more better everything, more pcie lanes more cores more ram etc.

more everything you can also use some high end E5's and have a 8 core 16 thread desktop :-)

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

Thanks everyone :D

It's been around 2 and a half years since my last upgrade so I'll be going to go with the 1155 for now. We'll see in a few years how things turn out, I may even have some decent money by then, YAY!