External GPU for EVERYTHING......

>I have an Asus ROG G750JM with a 860M in it.

>I've heard it is possible to change the GPU in it but its VERY difficult and quite expensive.

>I've also heard of external GPUs. I was wondering if there is an external GPU that I could use with this laptop.

>This isn't all I want an external GPU rig for.

>My friend has a Raspberry Pi and we were wondering if there is a way to hook up extra GPU power to it through Thunderbolt or PCIe mini....

>I've asked about the Raspberry Pi before but never really got a strait answer. If you guys know anything about exteral GPUs for Raspberry Pis or Asus G750JMs let me know please!

{Asus ROG G750JM} {PS4}

{Steam} {PSN} {Twitch}

{Looking for people who can help with CAD editing and game engines}

I wouldn't bother trying with the Pi. It'll definitely bottleneck the GPU.

As for laptops, it is possible, but rather impractical.

eGPU.jpg

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

1. Probably easy enough to install but a new GPU will cost you around like $800 CAD

2. Nope, Let the jerry rigging begin.

3. You could code an utility to transfer some processing to a pi but the pi wouldn't even provide a measurable increase in system performance.

4. If you're looking to speed up a pi's processing power then don't use it, get a Nvidia jetson TK1 instead.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Someone has an infatuation with greentext...

An external GPU is definitely a thing, but it depends on the machine. If you have a Thunderbolt port on your laptop, it is a possibility. There are a few hoops to jump through with enclosures and drivers, but it can be done. As for the Pi, I want some of what you're smoking ;). It's a Raspberry Pi. It's weaker than almost any feature Android phone out there.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I wouldn't bother trying with the Pi. It'll definitely bottleneck the GPU.

As for laptops, it is possible, but rather impractical.

-snip-

What is that wizardry!?

What is that wizardry!?

You need access to a PCI slot on the laptop's motherboard.  I heard of people swapping out their WiFi cards to do this... 

EDIT: not to mention you also need a special adapter of sorts to get it all to work AND also a PSU to power the graphics card.

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

You need access to a PCI slot on the laptop's motherboard.  I heard of people swapping out their WiFi cards to do this... 

EDIT: not to mention you also need a special adapter of sorts to get it all to work AND also a PSU to power the graphics card.

It can also be done with Thunderbolt or PCMCIA, but most laptops have neither. Luckily, OP's laptop might have Thunderbolt, as it's an optional extra on the G750 series dependent on model.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Sounds like an interesting experiment... But won't it run at slower speeds since the mPCIe slots are not PCIe 2.0 x16 (afaik)?

It can also be done with Thunderbolt or PCMCIA, but most laptops have neither. Luckily, OP's laptop might have Thunderbolt, as it's an optional extra on the G750 series dependent on model.

i did not know that... huh.

I have thunderbolt but I also want to know if there is a board for a Pi that has a thunderbolt or PCIe on it... Im willing to spend the 70$ it takes to do it

{Asus ROG G750JM} {PS4}

{Steam} {PSN} {Twitch}

{Looking for people who can help with CAD editing and game engines}