Headset/headphones+mic for a non-audiophile?

fallout68
Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

ATH-M20x + Mod mic 4.0 

better sound and mic quality. 

I'm definitely nowhere near calling myself an audiophile. In fact, I am a bit tone deaf. Bass is something I turn down to be equal with all the other ranges. Would the HyperX Clouds be a good match for my gaming headset? Or is there a cheaper and better way to have sound and a microphone without annoying all my friends in skype calls with a terrible mic or background noise. I would use these for skype calls, gaming, and occasionally listening to music. I definitely want closed or semi-closed cans, and a circumaural design. Budget is 100 USD

ATH-M20x + Mod mic 4.0 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I love my HyperX Clouds, they're a fantastic headset.

ATH-M20x + Mod mic 4.0 

but you still have to deal with the annoyance of another cable

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

but you still have to deal with the annoyance of another cable

Thats easy to deal with though. 

Some tape or a couple cable ties and it's all dealt with. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Thats easy to deal with though. 

Some tape or a couple cable ties and it's all dealt with. 

the mic also can fall from the magnet on the headphones occasionally

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I love my HyperX Clouds, they're a fantastic headset.

I second this.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

That's one heck of a weird headband.

And won't the desktop mic pic up a ton of background noise from behind me?

A lot of desktop mics will, but the Blue Snowball won't I used one for my youtube channel for a long time, however, if you don't want a desktop mic I'd get hose headphones and a ModMic 4.0

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

The HyperX is currently on sale here http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=101705&vpn=KHX-H3CLW&manufacture=Kingston&promoid=1261

They're making a HyperX Cloud 2 which will fix the microphone being usable but not so great. You can always make your own setup as well like audiophile headphones + a mic (zalman's is under $10), but if you just want a convenient and immediate solution that's likely the one you'd want to get. Normal price is $79.99.