Moto G 2014 or LG Nexus 5? Which should I buy?

Go to solution Solved by Bogica,

Nexus 5 easily. The main concern has been the battery life on it, but since it went to 5.0 that concern faded away and it performs even faster, so it's the best choice hands down. I wouldn't upgrade from a Moto G to a Moto G 2014, it just doesn't justify the upgrade for me as it's only a camera upgrade and sd slot, front stereo speakers are nice too but not that big of a deal. Also, the 5" screen drains the battery faster so it's a bit less sharp and the battery lasts shorter than on the Moto G 2013. :)

Another year has started, and I feel like kicking it off with a new phone. I'm currently running a 2013 Moto G, which is still completely functional. However, I feel like it isn't too bad to replace it right now, considering that I can get it's succesor, the Moto G 2014, on eBay for only £158. However, in my searching, I also discovered the Nexus 5, selling for £208. So, my question is, what should I go for? Whilst the Nexus 5 is faster than the Moto G, it doesn't have expandable storage, or as big a screen. But then again, the Nexus 5 does also have NFC, and it's only .1 inches less than the Moto G.

Thank you for any input!

EDIT: My budget is £210. Phone has to be unlocked, so I can transfer my current SIM over.

i5 4670k | MSI Z87-G43 | NH-U12S | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | GTX 770 SC ACX | Define R4

If it's that small of a difference and you're willing to spend that much, the Nexus 5 is easily one of the best phones I've ever used. It's excellent and still performed the same way it did the day I got it, with only a small bit of maintenance.

If it's that small of a difference and you're willing to spend that much, the Nexus 5 is easily one of the best phones I've ever used. It's excellent and still performed the same way it did the day I got it, with only a small bit of maintenance.

Yes, that's my main issue. The difference doesn't really seem to warrant another £50. I'm more leaning to the Nexus 5 because I've always liked it, as a Google flagship, but I know that the Moto G is better value. If there were some other difference that made up that £50, it'd seem more worth my money.

i5 4670k | MSI Z87-G43 | NH-U12S | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | GTX 770 SC ACX | Define R4

Why would you get the MotoG 2014? It has the same internal specs. Only differences are its camera and the speakers.

+ its display isn't as sharp as the 2013 model.

The nexus 5's internals easily validate the extra £50.

Why would you get the MotoG 2014? It has the same internal specs. Only differences are its camera and the speakers.

+ its display isn't as sharp as the 2013 model.

The nexus 5's internals easily validate the extra £50.

Well said. Well, now I'm stuck in a bottomless pit again.

Nexus 5 easily. The main concern has been the battery life on it, but since it went to 5.0 that concern faded away and it performs even faster, so it's the best choice hands down. I wouldn't upgrade from a Moto G to a Moto G 2014, it just doesn't justify the upgrade for me as it's only a camera upgrade and sd slot, front stereo speakers are nice too but not that big of a deal. Also, the 5" screen drains the battery faster so it's a bit less sharp and the battery lasts shorter than on the Moto G 2013. :)

Yes, that's my main issue. The difference doesn't really seem to warrant another £50. I'm more leaning to the Nexus 5 because I've always liked it, as a Google flagship, but I know that the Moto G is better value. If there were some other difference that made up that £50, it'd seem more worth my money.

If it was moto x vs nexus 5 then it would be close but the moto g can't really compete with the nexus 5. I have a nexus 5 for more then half a year now and it is an amazing phone the stock android is so much better imo.For 50$ you get a better display, better spec,better camera and faster update from google 

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Okay then, guess it's the Nexus 5. Thanks a lot everyone!