Laptop Recommendations

chriscoolzap

Hey, 

I am looking into buying a laptop for around ~$1000. I'm looking for a very slick, thin design with a nice display. It would be nice to also have an i7. Also, 8GB of ram.  I'm using it for school and usual web browsing with a some demanding programs. 

CPU: Intel Core I74790k

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Lenovo y50 or y40

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Moved to Mobile Devices.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

yeah i didn't want to recommend ge60 it was a mistake. it's pretty fat.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

yeah i didn't want to recommend ge60 it was a mistake. it's pretty fat.

I guess that's true. 

\

well it's 17inch so it's not even close to thin and slick, it's gigantic.

Spoiler

My advice OP? You want thin + light, get a ULV chip and a midrange GPU like a 850M. As to what models exactly would have this, I don't know. But if a GS60 is too big for you, you're not getting an i7 that's worth 1/3 of its salt.

Thin + light = bad cooling. Don't strive for high end parts in it, or it just won't work well.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

My advice OP? You want thin + light, get a ULV chip and a midrange GPU like a 850M. As to what models exactly would have this, I don't know. But if a GS60 is too big for you, you're not getting an i7 that's worth 1/3 of its salt.

Thin + light = bad cooling. Don't strive for high end parts in it, or it just won't work well.

I finalized on this : http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-VN7-591G-75S2-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00NJNFW1M/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420929345&sr=1-8&keywords=nitro Opinions?

Acer does not make good gaming laptops. That thing is more of a waste of cash than anything. Also, again, look at the CPU and the thinness of the machine. It won't cool it properly. The minute you stress that, it'll either throttle or overheat.

Look for something with a "U" in the CPU name. An i5-4500U or i7-4600U should work well in something as thin as that. If you are willing to go with something a bit thicker, then we could get a better CPU in it. As much as the manufacturers like to tout their machines working well, believe me when I say they quicker employ tricks to cover for bad engineering design and hope consumers don't notice.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Acer does not make good gaming laptops. That thing is more of a waste of cash than anything. Also, again, look at the CPU and the thinness of the machine. It won't cool it properly. The minute you stress that, it'll either throttle or overheat.

Look for something with a "U" in the CPU name. An i5-4500U or i7-4600U should work well in something as thin as that. If you are willing to go with something a bit thicker, then we could get a better CPU in it. As much as the manufacturers like to tout their machines working well, believe me when I say they quicker employ tricks to cover for bad engineering design and hope consumers don't notice.

how about a lenovo y70 touch

how about a lenovo y70 touch

Checked it out. It throttles under heavy loads on the CPU and the HDD is slow, but the screen is better than the Y50. The Acer Nitro you previously linked appears to be better if performance/everyday usage is your thing.

Checked it out. It throttles under heavy loads on the CPU and the HDD is slow, but the screen is better than the Y50. The Acer Nitro you previously linked appears to be better if performance/everyday usage is your thing.

what would you recommend for an on the go performance laptop with a 17.3 inch screen. 

what would you recommend for an on the go performance laptop with a 17.3 inch screen. 

Is the GS70 too thick for you, you said?

Is the GS70 too thick for you, you said?

nope i never said anything about the gs70.

What is "too thick" and what's "too heavy"? And what's your budget limit?

i has to be in the mid range of thick and heavy. my budget limit is around $1000 to $1150

i has to be in the mid range of thick and heavy. my budget limit is around $1000 to $1150

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7378-clevo-w370ss-p-6990.html?wconfigure=yes how about this?

im not allowed to get laptops from any non major companies like this or cyberpower/xidax/ibuypower cause of my recent incident with them

O.o? I don't get that. But Clevo is more major than MSI/Alienware. You just don't know about them. But is it a company thing?

O.o? I don't get that. But Clevo is more major than MSI/Alienware. You just don't know about them. But is it a company thing?

This is my last choice http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6ZIFFG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00K3F4KG2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PH6WPGWD3Z8R10KN8S4

The Y50 isn't bad, but I just got mine yesterday (I got the i5/8GB RAM/860M/Non-touch model). I haven't gamed on it yet, but it's speedy enough for non-gaming things (still debating dropping an SSD in it). Super slim, especially compared to normal gaming notebooks that I've had in the past. The design is pretty sexy and works well (It's thinner than my desktop's mechanical keyboard, and also shorter in length too). Keyboard is very responsive and one of the better ones I've used on a notebook. I'm on the fence about the touch pad, as it can be difficult to click and drag/highlight things with it's design (I'm use to ASUS' click buttons at the bottom of the pad that are not touch sensitive - the click buttons on the Y50 are touch sensitive so sometimes you'll end up moving your cursor as you're trying to highlight/drag). Speakers are laptop speakers - not great but not horrible either.

The screen is definitely not anything to write home about. It's tolerable with a little bit of calibration (I referenced some settings that others used online), and also easy/cheap to swap out if you wish. Viewing angles are not very good. The low quality of the screen is pretty noticeable coming off the Samsung U28D590D 28" 4k TN/LG 22EA53 21.5" IPS monitors I use as my daily drivers.

These are just some initial impressions. I bought mine for some light gaming/rendering while I'm traveling, and I think it'll fit the bill just fine.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!