GPUs causing audio buzzing?

GrizzlyBear

So I've noticed this lately when I play games. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Z and Sennheiser HD598 headphones. The more GPU intensive the games are this buzzing/static sound (can't really describe it) seems to be more noticeable, and it's still there even if you mute the sound altogether. This stops once you quit the game and go to main menu or back to windows. The issue remains in both single GPU mode and SLI.

My guess it's the GPUs electromagnetic signals (or whatever) messing up with the sound card but wanted to make sure before taking any drastic actions.

So what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

i7 4790K @ 4,6GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 | Corsair AX760 | Win 10 | Acer Predator X34A

I had VERY bad buzzing like this as well with onboard (my onboard is pretty buggered), getting the sound blaster z (same as you <3) fixed it, I only hear slight EMI but that's really unavoidable unless you get an external DAC.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

the gpu could be to close to the spu or the noise could be interference in your cable from the display cables

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

I had a customer who had the same problem when he upgraded his GPU.
we solved the problem buy placing the cards as far apart as possible and using tin-foil (with electrical tape on the edges) to shield the sound card.
the tin foil was placed over the top off the sound card and earth/bounded to the case.

edit: the idea was to create a faraday cage over the top off the sound card to shield it from the graphics card
the cards where placed about 3 PCI slots apart.

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

KuLNT9c.jpg

The sound card is right on top of the upper GPU. No other place for it really because of the SLI setup. It would otherwise interfere with the cooling of the cards.

I had VERY bad buzzing like this as well with onboard (my onboard is pretty buggered), getting the sound blaster z (same as you <3) fixed it, I only hear slight EMI but that's really unavoidable unless you get an external DAC.

Yeah. I guess it very much depends on your components how bad the EMI is.

EDIT: And how sensitive your headphones are.

i7 4790K @ 4,6GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 | Corsair AX760 | Win 10 | Acer Predator X34A

I had a customer who had the same problem when he upgraded his GPU.

we solved the problem buy placing the cards as far apart as possible and using tin-foil (with electrical tape on the edges) to shield the sound card.

the tin foil was placed over the top off the sound card and earth/bounded to the case.

edit: the idea was to create a fahrenheit cage over the top off the sound card to shield it from the graphics card

the cards where placed about 3 PCI slots apart.

Interesting.

But would really like to actually see with my own eyes how this is done. Did you happen to take any pictures? :P

hate to say it but an external usb sound card might be your only option.

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

hate to say it but an external usb sound card might be your only option.

Yeah. Figured as much.

It's not really an issue. Was going to get one down the line anyway. Just wanted to make sure the EMI was the source of the problem before making my decision.

I'm going to sell the SBZ and get something like an Objective2 amp/dac or Schiit modi + magni.

Interesting.

But would really like to actually see with my own eyes how this is done. Did you happen to take any pictures? :P

Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

but I can tell you the customer was not charged for the mod as I was not sure if it would work at the time :)

but the customer was using a old creative sound card with no shielding.

your card looks like it has a shield off some sort  :huh:

Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

but I can tell you the customer was not charged for the mod as I was not sure if it would work at the time :)

but the customer was using a old creative sound card with no shielding.

your card looks like it has a shield off some sort  :huh:

Not sure if it's an actual "shield". Just something to make the card look cooler.

sbz-1b.jpg