svchost.exe Making computer run very slow (also mouse cpu spike)

Frix

It just surprised me that it would be so laggy - re installing windows that is :/

More cores =/= more performance necessarily.

I'm sure he knows that. Please keep it on topic....

I'm sure he knows that. Please keep it on topic....

Just clearing that up before misinformation started spreading. And it definitely doesn't sound like he knows that, read what he said.

Its so laggy I have to write this on a dual core 2.00ghz laptop because its running better

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Its so laggy I have to write this on a dual core 2.00ghz laptop because its running better

Did you install anything new on to your computer recently? And did you adjust any process' priority?

adjusting the processes prority won't affect it as it comes back every reboot wheras the prority resets every reboot

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

Did you install anything new on to your computer recently? And did you adjust any process' priority?

That's what I was thinking, I reinstalled windows about 2 days ago to try and fix some BSOD issues, once I reinstalled MSE wasnt letting me use it because I did't have the product activation code for windows at the time so I switched to Avast for the time being and all ive been doing is playing Arma 2 Wasteland until this happened, I don't remember downloading anything, are the scvhost's the thinks i should be worried about because they are using that much memory or is that normal?

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Any new programs installed that may cause that? Try to unninstall?

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

its definatley not normal to be using that much memory

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

Also, i have a bunch like those on the laptop and they are harmless, i think your problem is way bigger, viruses are not shown in task manager, so it made you think that scvhost was the problem. Check your cpu usage, kill some background services and startup programs, also run Ccleaner.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

That's what I was thinking, I reinstalled windows about 2 days ago to try and fix some BSOD issues, once I reinstalled MSE wasnt letting me use it because I did't have the product activation code for windows at the time so I switched to Avast for the time being and all ive been doing is playing Arma 2 Wasteland until this happened, I don't remember downloading anything, are the scvhost's the thinks i should be worried about because they are using that much memory or is that normal?

I wouldn't worry about memory being an issue unless you're running out of it. What you should do is change your startup programs by running msconfig.exe (using the Run program or something similar) and restart the computer. If that doesn't work, there's a good chance that something malicious is affecting your computer's performance.

Also, i have a bunch like those on the laptop and they are harmless, i think your problem is way bigger, viruses are not shown in task manager, so it made you think that scvhost was the problem. Check your cpu usage, kill some background services and startup programs, also run Ccleaner.

There was a process in task manager called MOM.exe that i ended because a post on another forum website said that it was one of many rats in the system, can you explain why one of the scvhost's is using 134,888k of memory then?

I wouldn't worry about memory being an issue unless you're running out of it. What you should do is change your startup programs by running msconfig.exe (using the Run program or something similar) and restart the computer. If that doesn't work, there's a good chance that something malicious is affecting your computer's performance.

Im going to finish running a scan then I will

Im going to finish running a scan then I will

Also you should use AVG, from what I've seen it outperforms basically all of the other programs while not costing a penny.

the other thing could be that you don't have a virus. Your install of windows could of corrupted  a file and that is why it is using abnormal amounts of memory. This would also explain why it takes ages to re-upgrade. 

steps I would take,

1.Antivrus scan with avast and MSE / another antivirus/malware

2. failing that try to find out what is needing svchost.exe in such large doses. - try to end that task, see what happens

3.if that fails, re-install windows again.

4. You never know but you could have a hardware failure too if all of the above fail, Give your system a once over for hardware failures etc....(could explain the BSOD)

Also check how much of the RAM windows is seeing, If a faulty dimm is to blame then it could slow down the system -putting more pressure on the cpu... ( dont hold me to tht though :/)

Also you should use AVG, from what I've seen it outperforms basically all of the other programs while not costing a penny.

What do you mean by outperforms like it has a high detection rate?

the other thing could be that you don't have a virus. Your install of windows could of corrupted  a file and that is why it is using abnormal amounts of memory. This would also explain why it takes ages to re-upgrade. 

steps I would take,

1.Antivrus scan with avast and MSE / another antivirus/malware

2. failing that try to find out what is needing svchost.exe in such large doses. - try to end that task, see what happens

3.if that fails, re-install windows again.

4. You never know but you could have a hardware failure too if all of the above fail, Give your system a once over for hardware failures etc....(could explain the BSOD)

Also check how much of the RAM windows is seeing, If a faulty dimm is to blame then it could slow down the system -putting more pressure on the cpu... ( dont hold me to tht though :/)

I don't think its faulty hardware the cpu and ram are very new and have been running flawlessly since I installed them 2 weeks ago

this is why you should use several, one may detect something the other doesnt....

I don't think its faulty hardware the cpu and ram are very new and have been running flawlessly since I installed them 2 weeks ago

just an idea :)

just an idea :)

yeah thanks and im currently using 4 antivirus softwares to scan its taking a long time 

do one at a time - they will get in each others way

Yes. It even found viruses when Norton didn't find any (that was purchased as a yearly subscription too).

do one at a time - they will get in each others way

yeah windows defender jumped in half an hour ago to scan thats weird

gotta love windows defender...

to be honest by the sound of the speed you're getting you may as well be running vista with norton antivirus  - Eryk Gadomski (my freind)