Building a NAS

Hi so im looking at building a new nas and was wondering if the biostar NM701-1037U would be a good choice. It will be on 24/7 and i will be using the Silverstone DS380 as a case.

What are your thoughts on my choice of mobo for a NAS build?

what type of nas like freenas or windows? how many drives?

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

what type of nas like freenas or windows? how many drives?

old one was windows but im thinking of trying freenas this time (still not sure yet) and at this stage if will only be two 4tb  drives but i will expaining in the future

just rmemeber with the drive chages in the pci-e slot is almost coverd so unless its a short lopro card you have to remove a drive cage. id go with the intel avaton board form asrock p[ersonly thats what im gonnado for my nas biuild same case but i plan on doing 4x4tb drives on freenas.

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

Hi so im looking at building a new nas and was wondering if the biostar NM701-1037U would be a good choice. It will be on 24/7 and i will be using the Silverstone DS380 as a case.

What are your thoughts on my choice of mobo for a NAS build?

Hey nzstubbies,

The motherboard you are looking at has only one SATA 3 connector and the other 3 are SATA 2. I wouldn't recommend using drives in RAID with different SATA connectors. 
I would suggest getting a motherboard with at least 4 SATA 3 ports in order to have a good RAID setup and the option to expand.
Also, I would suggest getting RAID/NAS class drives in order to have better, smoother and safer performance in a RAID environment.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/