Improve mic quality/clarity without buying a new mic?

Timmy-P

I have a Logitech G230 headset (don't laugh...), and although people hear me loud and clear, I don't think it's good enough if I were to put my audio in YouTube videos.  I've already upped my sample rate in Windows, and that made quite a noticeable difference, but what else can I do to get the most from my 3.5 mm mic jack?  An AMP/DAC do something?  ...I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to these things, but I can be competent.

Thanks.

[witty signature]

Nope. Not much will help. You could try turning mic boost off though.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Here, lemmie give you a video. This will not change your voice quality in game but with some editing and some free software, you can make your voice sound a little more "macho" in your videos. Have fun :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHn2BQ0Zq7k

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

Nope. Not much will help. You could try turning mic boost off though.

Well that's a shame.  My mic was a bit on the quiet end, hence my 10 db boost.  I'll boost it in other ways though and see what happens.

Here, lemmie give you a video. This will not change your voice quality in game but with some editing and some free software, you can make your voice sound a little more "macho" in your videos. Have fun :D

-snippy-

Thanks, but I've already seen that.  Only problem is that I can't see how I can record in Audacity and sync it up with the video recording.  Any idea on how to go about that?  :/

[witty signature]

Thanks, but I've already seen that.  Only problem is that I can't see how I can record in Audacity and sync it up with the video recording.  Any idea on how to go about that?  :/

The audio and the video should be the same length. Try seeing if your software can record your game and microphone volume onto separate channels (Bandicam lets you do that). If not, you can do things in game and say it at the same time to help sync... like saying "jump" while you jump and do that a few times before you start your commentary. When you edit, just align you saying "Jump" to when your character jumps. Then, cut that out of the video and you will be golden.

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's.