FreeNAS? Or something else.

Abhinav

Hi.

I have been using Ubuntu/Arch Linux as my file server until now. I bought a Macbook Pro retina as my daily driver and dev machine. After searching a lot online I got to know that FreeNAS can be used as storage for Time Machine. But FreeNAS is something that I know nothing of. 

So I wanted to know if it's easy to use, is there any other equivalent OS or should I stay with Ubuntu/Arch Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Abhinav.

PS. I can't find the search on the forum. Can someone give me the link to it?

I prefer Ubuntu

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

Search has been removed

use google and put "search time site:linustechtips.com" and you can search the forum that way

if you are using apple why not just use time machine only? or do you need to have it for other machines? (its really good thats all)

FreeNas is probably your best option though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hi.

I have been using Ubuntu/Arch Linux as my file server until now. I bought a Macbook Pro retina as my daily driver and dev machine. After searching a lot online I got to know that FreeNAS can be used as storage for Time Machine. But FreeNAS is something that I know nothing of. 

So I wanted to know if it's easy to use, is there any other equivalent OS or should I stay with Ubuntu/Arch Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Abhinav.

It's fairly easy to set up for just backups. It supports Time Machine "out of the box".

Another free alternative is Amahi. It's even easier to use as it doesn't require FreeNAS' large hardware requirements for specific features.

Either will be good, but FreeNAS is more power user, while Amahi is more user friendly.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It's fairly easy to set up for just backups. It supports Time Machine "out of the box".

Another free alternative is Amahi. It's even easier to use as it doesn't require FreeNAS' large hardware requirements for specific features.

Either will be good, but FreeNAS is more power user, while Amahi is more user friendly.

Amahi seems interesting. It supports Time Machine and Plex using 3rd party apps. I am going to try both FreeNAS and Amahi and I think I should also share an in depth analysis of both on the forum. 

I find Ubuntu to be far superior to FreeNAS. Both have ZFS support and there's nothing one can do that the other can't really, Ubuntu is just much, much easier to use imo - even without a GUI on Ubuntu Server.

I find Ubuntu to be far superior to FreeNAS. Both have ZFS support and there's nothing one can do that the other can't really, Ubuntu is just much, much easier to use imo - even without a GUI on Ubuntu Server.

I agree with you. I am more accustomed to something like Ubuntu and terminal as compared to some pre-built software. But the advantage of pre-built software is the setup time. But I really would like to post a topic on "FreeNAS vs Amahi vs Linux Distros (Home Server Edition)" 

I agree with you. I am more accustomed to something like Ubuntu and terminal as compared to some pre-built software. But the advantage of pre-built software is the setup time. But I really would like to post a topic on "FreeNAS vs Amahi vs Linux Distros (Home Server Edition)" 

The setup time is only reduced if you're after basic functionality though. As soon as you start trying to make plugins work on FreeNAS you might as well have installed Ubuntu and downloaded programs. Granted if all you want is a folder you can access over a local network then installing FreeNAS and creating jails is easier than installing Ubuntu, creating a ZFS volume and then fiddling with Samba and Nautilus, but if you want VPN access etc. then Ubuntu quickly becomes worth the initial time investment.