Upgrading to X99. potential heat & power concern. Grateful for advise

toriam78

Budget & location: 1600 USD, Norway
Aim: Mainly gaming, photo editing
Montors: 1 x Dell 2911 2560x1440 resolution
Peripherals: Razer Lachesis, Logitech UltraX
Reason for upgrade: Faulty/unstable motherboard. Using the opportunity to upgrade.

Gear to transfer/reuse:
Corsair 800D
Corsair AX 850
4 x 300 gb WD VelociRaptor Raid 5 (on a MSI Z77A-GD65 today)
2 x 3 tb WD reds in Raid 1 (on a MSI Z77A-GD65 today)
1 x dvd reader
1 x EVGA 980 GTX SC Ax 2.0 fan cooler
1 x Asus Essence STX
1 x Dell 2911

To explain the raid 5 array I decided that having only 300 GB in raid 1 would be too little(When I built the current rig). Today it would make more sense with raid 1.
I use raid 1 (and 5) for redundancy (I use a raid 5 NAS backup in addition)

Current shopping list:
CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K
MB: MSI X99S Gaming 7
Ram: 16 GB (4x4) Gskill Ripjaws 4 Red DDR4
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14 (+ mounting kit for 2011)
(potentially replacing stock corsair case fans with Noctua)
Current cost: 1240 USD

What I would like to do:
* Transfer the harddrive arrays over, make new arrays on the new motherboard without initilazing them. This is to hopefully save time and avoid having to install everything again. I'll loose the Turbo M2 port due to the raid 1 array beeing on the same bus
* Overclock CPU to 4 Ghz
* buy a second 980 GTX and run the system in SLI when a 27" (res 2560x1440+) monitor with 144 HZ IPS panel comes out.

Questions:
* When watching Linus' tests on GPU coolers (internal vs rear exhaust,

), it cleared things up for me when he says that other components gets warmer with a internal exaust. Do you think I will have temperature issues with clocking the CPU to 4 Ghz, and future use of SLI with two cards for internal exaust? Cooler is always better but I hope that a silent air CPU cooler will be enough..
* How likely is it that a 27" ISP panel based monitor will be made with 144Hz refreshrates?
* Will the 850 Watt PSU be enough even in SLI with two 980's? I think so, but I'm unsure.

* buy a second 980 GTX and run the system in SLI when a 27" (res 2560x1440+) monitor with 144 HZ IPS panel comes out.

I don't think that will ever happen.. Ips just can't handle 144 hz

It's my dream aswell + Then mod the monitor with Gsync!

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

could just liquid cool everything xD

I did buy the case saying to myself I wanted a loop of cpu plus gpu (rad with 3 + 3 fans in push pull at the top of the case), but just havent taken the plunge.. when I've experienced low temps(and little fannoise) with big air coolers the "hassle" (although I bet it will be a fun process) wasnt needed.

I just did a build using the msi x99 gaming 7. It's a great board. Not as many system fan headers as I would like, but I made it work from the psu. Don't SLI on this board. I started out with a single EVGA 970 FTW and my system ran great. I just put another 970 FTW in SLI and the PCI express 16x slots are right next to each other leaving a small gap between the cards. Creating major heat issues. I've adjusted the fan speeds to keep it less than 70 C. I'm considering moving the second card down to the next slot but then I only get 8X PCI and it will block the debug led. Good luck.

What is your current cpu ?

I just did a build using the msi x99 gaming 7. It's a great board. Not as many system fan headers as I would like, but I made it work from the psu. Don't SLI on this board. I started out with a single EVGA 970 FTW and my system ran great. I just put another 970 FTW in SLI and the PCI express 16x slots are right next to each other leaving a small gap between the cards. Creating major heat issues. I've adjusted the fan speeds to keep it less than 70 C. I'm considering moving the second card down to the next slot but then I only get 8X PCI and it will block the debug led. Good luck.

Thank you for this information.

I've only had good experience with MSI so thats basicly where the MB choice comes from. As I will most likely run the system in SLI next year I guess Asus x99 boards will be better? "http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-PRO/e9707_x99-pro_ug_for_web_only.pdf". In that manual it states socket 1 + 3 for SLI for 16x + 16x (in my case +8x).

Will I have issues moving my raid arrays over? Reading and watching reviews of the asus boards they seem to have a different raid manager..

Where would you suggest I place the sound card? Slot 2 or 4?

Do you think I need to be concerned about my PSU wattage of my current PSU even with SLI?

lee32uk:

I run a i5-3570k today

lee32uk:

I run a i5-3570k today

That is still a great cpu (I have one in my own pc). I don't think you will see a good enough return switching to X99.

Why not go for an i7 3770K if you need an i7. That would be a far cheaper upgrade. You would still get a good price if you sell the i5 3570K as they hold their value pretty well. 

For gaming it definitely isn't worth going with an i7 5820K as games don't use that many cores. It might make a difference in photo editing depending on the software.

EDIT - I just noticed that your current board is faulty, so it might cost more trying to find a 2nd hand Z77 board. In that case carry on with X99  :D

It helps with photo editing yes. With this upgrade I hope I can run this rig for 3-4 years. With the current CPU and memory I can upgrade my fathers rig with them :)

If heat, power and raid items ive mentioned earlier is not something I need to worry about then I think I can go shopping :)

So I moved my second card down to the next slot, technically slot 5.  I have not noticed a drop in performance, and my temps are in the 45-55 C range.  Also my CPU I7- 5930K on a swiftech H220 cooler is running about 5 C cooler.

So I moved my second card down to the next slot, technically slot 5.  I have not noticed a drop in performance, and my temps are in the 45-55 C range.  Also my CPU I7- 5930K on a swiftech H220 cooler is running about 5 C cooler.

That means you have a 16x and 8x system?